Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) FROM COP TO CRUSADER, by Doug Williams (Read 32363 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Doug Williams
Especially Senior User

FROM COP TO CRUSADER, by Doug Williams
Aug 17th, 2014 at 2:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have decided to make my book available FREE OF CHARGE!

"It is time to put a stop to this government sponsored sadism perpetrated by those who use this insidious Orwellian instrument of torture called the 'lie detector'!  Education is the most effective weapon I have to finally put a stop to the abusive practice of polygraph 'testing'.  Help me by educating yourself and others.  I am now offering this book FREE OF CHARGE!  I have only one request - please get this book and send it to as many people as you can - it literally destroys the myth of 'lie detection'! Please click here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xzai45vfhujxpp1/LAE0g0nUB2?lst to get your FREE COPY of my book."  Doug Williams

I have been fighting the thugs and charlatans in the polygraph industry for forty years.  I tell about my crusade against the insidious Orwellian polygraph industry in my book FALSE CONFESSIONS - THE TRUE STORY OF DOUG WILLIAMS' CRUSADE AGAINST THE ORWELLIAN POLYGRAPH INDUSTRY.  Please visit my website POLYGRAPH.COM and follow me on TWITTER @DougWilliams_PG

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Re: FROM COP TO CRUSADER, by Doug Williams
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 2:59pm
Doug Williams wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 2:44pm:

That's what you do with junk- give it away.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 3:28pm
quickfix wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 2:59pm:
Doug Williams wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 2:44pm:

That being the case - I expect you to give your polygraph instrument away too!  Or better yet, just take it to the junk heap yourself!    Grin

I have been fighting the thugs and charlatans in the polygraph industry for forty years.  I tell about my crusade against the insidious Orwellian polygraph industry in my book FALSE CONFESSIONS - THE TRUE STORY OF DOUG WILLIAMS' CRUSADE AGAINST THE ORWELLIAN POLYGRAPH INDUSTRY.  Please visit my website POLYGRAPH.COM and follow me on TWITTER @DougWilliams_PG

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 5:51pm
quickfix wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 2:59pm:

I think it reasonable to assume that you have not read the book. If it is your goal to discredit it, it may be more effective to actually read it, then make counter-arguments here in this forum.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2014 at 10:55pm
I am preparing to start a KICKSTARTER campaign to raise money for a documentary about my book.  Please check it out and let me know what you think.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1006420907/2096381792?token=8dfd31e4

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 1:01am
Doug, I'll contribute $500 if a polygraph neophyte -- personally trained by you -- beats my exam in a mock crime scenario.

My office is about 75 minutes from Logan International Airport and only 30 minutes from Manchester-Boston Regional Airport.

If you prefer to recruit local talent, Boston-area colleges and universities are about an hour's drive from my office. So, put the word out -- it shouldn't be too difficult for you to find a suitable crash dummy with enough savvy to beat the box.

The entire process will be video recorded. Should your candidate prevail, a how-to postmortem must be part of the package.

Win, lose, or draw, the entire dog-and-pony show will live in perpetuity on both my web site (www.polygraphman.com) and on Youtube.

Yes, it's only five hundred bucks --if your student wins, that is (highly unlikely) -- but it's a start.

Whaddya say, tough guy?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 6:42am
If the crash dummy ever said that he intends to apply to any federal agency, then the goons might be waiting outside to pounce. Rather than putting Doug into potential jeopardy (more so than he already is), why not step up to the countermeasure challenge?

https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1012236418

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 1:54pm
Dan Mangan wrote on Aug 21st, 2014 at 1:01am:
Doug, I'll contribute $500 if a polygraph neophyte -- personally trained by you -- beats my exam in a mock crime scenario.

My office is about 75 minutes from Logan International Airport and only 30 minutes from Manchester-Boston Regional Airport.

If you prefer to recruit local talent, Boston-area colleges and universities are about an hour's drive from my office. So, put the word out -- it shouldn't be too difficult for you to find a suitable crash dummy with enough savvy to beat the box.

The entire process will be video recorded. Should your candidate prevail, a how-to postmortem must be part of the package.

Win, lose, or draw, the entire dog-and-pony show will live in perpetuity on both my web site (www.polygraphman.com) and on Youtube.

Yes, it's only five hundred bucks --if your student wins, that is (highly unlikely) -- but it's a start.

Whaddya say, tough guy?

Dan - What a strange coincidence!  Just last week I went to New York City to tape an episode for new series on a major television network where I did exactly what you propose - a polygraph neophyte -- personally trained by me -- beat a high profile polygraph "expert".  But this was an actual polygraph test scenario designed by the producers of the show to test the validity and reliability of the so-called "lie detector".   

As I have always said, if I can train a person to control every tracing on the polygraph chart, (which I did in less than five minutes) that is prima facie evidence that the polygraph is absolutely worthless as a "lie detector"!

I can't give any more details now - but when the time is right I will keep everyone here informed with more details about the network involved and date the show will be aired.   

I also want to thank you for your kind offer to contribute, but I may not even launch the KICKSTARTER campaign after all - if I do, my production will only be a promo for the real thing.  The producers of the show have contacted me about doing a major full length movie or documentary themselves. 

But I would join with Arkhangelsk and encourage you to step up to the countermeasure challenge.

Doug Williams
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 3:44pm
Doug:

That is quite a coincidence indeed. Sounds like you hit a home run. I look forward to seeing the program.

Let me be clear... I agree that countermeasures work. It would be worth five hundred bucks to me to have a successful CM-induced false-negative case on record (including video) for research purposes. That's why a post-mortem would have to be part of the deal.

Meanwhile, from what you describe, your upcoming television segment will be most revealing. Please keep us informed as to its air date.

Arkhangelsk:

You raise a good point. Placing Doug in jeopardy was not my intent. I simply wanted a "qualified" candidate -- i.e., one deemed capable of beating the box by a polygraph expert -- as my crash dummy.

As for the countermeasure challenge, that was a key plank in my election platform when I ran for president-elect of the APA last month. But a one-time contest testing the capability of a solo polygrapher will not prove much. I call for an ongoing countermeasure challenge series -- integral to APA events -- pitting a squad of financially motivated CM operatives against a group of randomly chosen polygraphers of varying experience levels. Those results would be far more meaningful, in my view. 

I will be echoing my call over the next 11 months for the APA to embrace a CM challenge series. In 2015, I will again run for APA president-elect -- and hopefully make greater advances in my efforts to bring a dose of reality to an industry that is in need of a wake-up call.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 4:16pm
Dan Mangan wrote on Aug 21st, 2014 at 3:44pm:
Doug:

That is quite a coincidence indeed. Sounds like you hit a home run. I look forward to seeing the program.

Let me be clear... I agree that countermeasures work. It would be worth five hundred bucks to me to have a successful CM-induced false-negative case on record (including video) for research purposes. That's why a post-mortem would have to be part of the deal.

Meanwhile, from what you describe, your upcoming television segment will be most revealing. Please keep us informed as to its air date.

Arkhangelsk:

You raise a good point. Placing Doug in jeopardy was not my intent. I simply wanted a "qualified" candidate -- i.e., one deemed capable of beating the box by a polygraph expert -- as my crash dummy.

As for the countermeasure challenge, that was a key plank in my election platform when I ran for president-elect of the APA last month. But a one-time contest testing the capability of a solo polygrapher will not prove much. I call for an ongoing countermeasure challenge series -- integral to APA events -- pitting a squad of financially motivated CM operatives against a group of randomly chosen polygraphers of varying experience levels. Those results would be far more meaningful, in my view. 

I will be echoing my call over the next 11 months for the APA to embrace a CM challenge series. In 2015, I will again run for APA president-elect -- and hopefully make greater advances in my efforts to bring a dose of reality to an industry that is in need of a wake-up call.

Describing my training as teaching "countermeasures" so liars can pass the polygraph "test" is the same thing as describing the polygraph as a "lie detector"!  Both descriptions are PURE, UNADULTERATED BULLSHIT!  The word "countermeasures" can only be used to describe polygraph chart manipulation by the subject of a polygraph "test" when two conditions are met: 1) The polygraph "test" must be proven to be 100% accurate and reliable as a "lie detector", and 2) the person is attempting to deliberately lie.  There is never a case where BOTH of these conditions are met.  In other words, you could only claim "countermeasures" are being used to thwart the polygraph operator's ability to detect deception IF the polygraph is able to detect deception accurately 100% of the time and that that deception would be detected were it not for the use of "countermeasures" by a person intent on being deceptive.  But, since many people know that just telling the truth only works half the time - i.e. the US Supreme Court, and the NAS report, among others, saying it is no more accurate than the toss of a coin - then a prudent person would try to mitigate the very strong probability of being falsely branded as a liar by learning how to produce a "truthful" chart.  That would not be using "countermeasures" - that would be using common sense! 

Why do polygraph operators tell people not to research the polygraph before they take their test?  It is very simple - the only way they can intimidate people with the polygraph is to keep them ignorant about how it works.  When polygraph operators say I teach people "countermeasures" in order for them to "beat the test".  I simply say, that's bullshit, because polygraph operators routinely call truthful people liars - and my technique is the only way for honest, truthful people to protect themselves from being falsely accused of lying. On the CBS 60 MINUTES investigative report I helped to produce, three out of three polygraph operators called three different truthful people liars on a crime that never even happened!   

So, let me emphasize this - I DON'T TEACH SO-CALLED "COUNTERMEASURES" - I simply teach people how to ALWAYS PASS by knowing how to show a perfect "truthful" polygraph chart!  The word "countermeasures" is a word that has been misappropriated by polygraph examiners - it is used to describe what they say is a means to thwart their ability to detect deception.  But polygraph operators have always maintained that they can tell when a person is using these so-called "countermeasures".  If that is true, how can anyone use them "beat" the test?  But, for the sake of argument, let me ask a few more pertinent questions:  If people can indeed be taught to use "countermeasures" to "beat the test", wouldn't that prove the polygraph is not a "lie detector"?  Does the validity and reliability of the polygraph test demand that the subjects of the test must be ignorant about how it works?  If anyone could be taught how to produce and/or prevent a reaction on the polygraph at will, wouldn't that make the whole idea of a "lie detector" a fraud?   And wouldn't polygraph operators have to admit their little machine is actually just a sick joke - and that the polygraph instrument is simply a prop used by an interrogator to frighten people into making admissions and confessions?  And would it not be prudent for the government to quit wasting money on something that is nothing but a fraud and a con job?  The fact is the answer to all these questions is a resounding YES! 

Polygraph operators do not want to debate the validity of the polygraph as a "lie detector" because they will lose.  And these con men certainly don't want to answer any of the questions I have posed!  They know they cannot prove the polygraph is valid and reliable as a "lie detector", and they know they can't justify their actions - so they just say that people who get my training are all lying and are only doing research on the polygraph in order to "beat the test".  Again, I say that is just BULLSHIT!  I have spent almost forty years proving that the "lie detector" is just a myth, and it is common knowledge that just telling the truth only works half the time, so people are smart enough to know that they must LEARN HOW TO PASS or they will be falsely accused of lying.  I don't teach any so-called "countermeasures"!  I don't teach people how to "beat" the test!  The fact is, people are getting my manual & video/DVD and my personal training because they are telling the truth and just want to make sure they pass - they know that just telling the truth doesn't work!  The methods I teach are very simple.  I just show people how to remain calm when answering a relevant question and how to produce a reaction when answering the control questions so as to always produce what the polygraph operators say is a "truthful chart".

Doug Williams
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 5:47pm
Doug, you characterize polygraph accuracy as being akin to flipping a coin -- in other words, chance levels.

Are you not familiar with the American Polygraph Association's own Meta-Analytic Survey of Criterion Accuracy of Validated Polygraph Techniques?

The APA study suggests that event-specific diagnostic testing is about 87 percent accurate -- a far cry from flipping a coin.

Here's a link to the full report:
http://www.polygraph.org/files/polygraph_404.pdf

Here's a link to FAQs about the report:
http://www.polygraph.org/files/validated_techniques_faq_1-9-2012.pdf

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 6:19pm
You're right I have said for almost 40 years that the polygraph is no more accurate as a "lie detector" than the "toss of a coin" - and the US SUPREME COURT used those very same words when they refused to allow polygraph results into evidence.

And yes, I have read those so-called studies done by the APA.  I have one word to describe them - BULLSHIT!

Doug Williams
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 7:50pm
That was then. This is now.

Before writing off polygraphy as mere "bullshit," open-minded individuals should look at some of the latest research.

A recent article by John J. Palmatier, PhD, and Louis Rovner, Phd, Credibility Assessment: Preliminary Process Theory, the Polygraph Process, and Construct Validity, may give some of the polygraph naysayers due pause.

Here, from the International Journal of Psychophysiology (01/2014), is the abstract:

The term “polygraph test,” particularly in a forensic context, is used generally to describe diagnostic procedures using a polygraph instrument to assess credibility. Polygraph testing has been subject to greater scrutiny, debate, and empirical study than many other forensic techniques. It has been repeatedly demonstrated that, when used properly, the polygraph testing process functions with a high degree of predictive (criterion) validity. However, advocates have failed to address, in a substantive manner, the primary objection often cited by opponents that the polygraph procedure most used in applied day-to-day contexts, that is, comparison question testing (CQT), is atheoretical and lacking construct validity. A review of the available research literature, including that from the neurosciences, psychophysiology, and other relevant disciplines, coupled with an intimate understanding of two commonly used polygraph procedures, the context in which they are used, and the scientific method, strongly suggest that such claims are no longer true, nor warranted. Here, we discuss the interplay of the two most advocated polygraph procedures, the CQT and CIT (Concealed Information Testing), with Preliminary Process Theory (PPT), contemporary writings on memory and other contributions from the research literature relevant to the instrumental assessment of credibility. We conclude that the available scientific evidence establishes not only a plausible theoretical construct that strengthens the practical application of the polygraph process in forensic and other settings, but also concurrently provides directions for future research by scientists interested in the applied assessment of credibility.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 8:06pm
Dan Mangan wrote on Aug 21st, 2014 at 7:50pm:
That was then. This is now.

Before writing off polygraphy as mere "bullshit," open-minded individuals should look at some of the latest research.

A recent article by John J. Palmatier, PhD, and Louis Rovner, Phd, Credibility Assessment: Preliminary Process Theory, the Polygraph Process, and Construct Validity, may give some of the polygraph naysayers due pause.

Here, from the International Journal of Psychophysiology (01/2014), is the abstract:

The term “polygraph test,” particularly in a forensic context, is used generally to describe diagnostic procedures using a polygraph instrument to assess credibility. Polygraph testing has been subject to greater scrutiny, debate, and empirical study than many other forensic techniques. It has been repeatedly demonstrated that, when used properly, the polygraph testing process functions with a high degree of predictive (criterion) validity. However, advocates have failed to address, in a substantive manner, the primary objection often cited by opponents that the polygraph procedure most used in applied day-to-day contexts, that is, comparison question testing (CQT), is atheoretical and lacking construct validity. A review of the available research literature, including that from the neurosciences, psychophysiology, and other relevant disciplines, coupled with an intimate understanding of two commonly used polygraph procedures, the context in which they are used, and the scientific method, strongly suggest that such claims are no longer true, nor warranted. Here, we discuss the interplay of the two most advocated polygraph procedures, the CQT and CIT (Concealed Information Testing), with Preliminary Process Theory (PPT), contemporary writings on memory and other contributions from the research literature relevant to the instrumental assessment of credibility. We conclude that the available scientific evidence establishes not only a plausible theoretical construct that strengthens the practical application of the polygraph process in forensic and other settings, but also concurrently provides directions for future research by scientists interested in the applied assessment of credibility.

There are two insurmountable problems with claiming the polygraph is accurate and reliable as a "lie detector".

1.  There is no "reaction" that ALWAYS indicates deception.

2.  As you yourself have said, when so-called "countermeasures" are employed, "all bets are off". 

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 5:33pm
Dan,

There's very little in this litany of abstract psychobabble to show that the authors’ "research" amounts to anything but a smorgasbord of isolated topics taken out of context from various serious disciplines.  Unfortunately there is no borrowed credibility coming from out of context assertions.

So what do I mean by out of context or in context?  An example...  

In order to examine construct validity for a given procedure, one has to examine the presence or absence of scientific control for the individual necessary/critical subset procedures.  One such subset of activity relates to the “setting” of comparison questions, i.e., the rank deception involved in trying to make an examinee believe that these question subject areas are relevant to the issue being examined in the same sense that the relevant question areas are.  

Quite apart from any lack of propriety and the outright humor associated with such activity (e.g., telling an examinee that the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit has determined that relevant issue perpetrators begin with comparison question violations when no such research or connection exists), there is absolutely no procedure whatsoever in place to demonstrate that such tomfoolery has ever been accomplished with desired results, i.e., was the lie(s) told by the examiner believed by the examinee (one of many things necessary to demonstrate construct validity for the so-called lie detection paradigms)?  

This sort of thing plus the unstandardized/unspecified conversation between an examiner and examinee during the so-called pretest phase of the paradigm makes this whole thing something other than a test that can be examined as to construct validity.

And as Doug has pointed out, the aforementioned doesn't even begin to address the current head-in-the-sand approach to examinee countermeasures.  A procedure that reasonably and in advance of the fact should be viewed skeptically regarding diagnostic validity as a result of said countermeasures can hardly be sold as having construct validity.

IP Logged

FROM COP TO CRUSADER, by Doug Williams

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X