Normal Topic Political Views of Pro-Poly & Anti-Poly Communities? (Read 3132 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I ask stupid questions

Political Views of Pro-Poly & Anti-Poly Communities?
Jun 3rd, 2014 at 10:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Does the pro-polygraph community tend to have similar political leanings?  What about the anti-polygraph community?  If so, what do you think those leanings are?

What are the political leanings and views of George Maschke and Doug Williams?

By the way, when using TOR to access this site, I had to get a "New Identity" a few times before I got access.  I appears that several of the TOR IP Address have been banned from this site.  Any comments on this?

Kill the poly!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Re: Political Views of Pro-Poly & Anti-Poly Communities?
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2014 at 3:32am
Take your politics and shove it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Political Views of Pro-Poly & Anti-Poly Communities?
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2014 at 7:35am
I ask stupid questions:

I try to avoid discussion of partisan politics on AntiPolygraph.org, as I don't think polygraph policy is or should be a partisan issue. However, while I appreciate Arkhangelsk's succinctly expressed viewpoint, I'll be happy to address the questions you raised in a general way.

If the "pro-polygraph" community is taken to be polygraph examiners themselves, then it appears to be overwhelmingly conservative Republican.

But if we extend the "pro-polygraph" community to policy makers, then it is more bipartisan. For example, one of the biggest backers in Congress of the expansion of polygraph screening of U.S. Customs and Border Protection was Mark Pryor, an Arkansas Democrat.

With respect to the "anti-polygraph community," such that it exists, I don't think there are any obvious generalizations to be made. Some thirty years ago, however, when efforts were being made to enact the Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA), the Democratic party took the leading role in supporting it, and the Democratic party controlled both houses of Congress. However, it was a Republican, Ronald Reagan, who signed it into law. My understanding is that Republicans played a key role in inserting the governmental exemptions to the EPPA.

Since that time, neither party has staked out a position on polygraph policy, though the handful of politicians who have spoken critically of polygraphy at times tend to be Democrats.

If the "anti-polygraph community" is taken to be people who have been victims of polygraphy, then again, I don't think any obvious generalizations can be made. Many polygraph victims are individuals seeking employment with law enforcement, military, and intelligence agencies. They're more likely to have politically conservative views and more likely to be Republicans.

But then again, there are well-educated people who oppose polygraphy because they understand that it has no scientific basis. In academia, such critics of polygraphy may tend to have a liberal world view.

I'd prefer to refrain from discussing my views about political topics other than polygraphy here. I'm happy to work with people with a wide range of views on other issues to advance the cause of ending our government's misplaced reliance on the pseudoscience of polygraphy.

With respect to getting blocked when using Tor, I very much regret that. AntiPolygraph.org, and this message board in particular, has been beset by aggressive spam bots, and I resorted to blocking certain blocks of IP addresses from which such spamming is most prevalent. Unfortunately, these sometimes erroneously include Tor exit nodes. I'll see what I can do to mitigate this problem.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Political Views of Pro-Poly & Anti-Poly Communities?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X