Normal Topic LAPD - "failed to follow examiners intstructions" - 1 yr until retest - help (Read 12928 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box elnino

LAPD - "failed to follow examiners intstructions" - 1 yr until retest - help
Mar 23rd, 2014 at 8:15pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently took an LAPD polygraph as part of the hiring process.  I didn't have anything to hide, but employed basic countermeasures to avoid the possibility of being falsely accused of deception.

I plan to contest the results, but don't know where to start, or on what grounds to contest them.  I tried searching the forums, but can't find anything specific or more current than 2007.  Can anyone direct me to the relevant contact information, or advise on how to structure my grievance?  My experience is described in more detail below...

I will also note that prior to and at the conclusion of the exam, the examiner asked if I had any friends or family in law enforcement (which I don't).  The first time seemed routine, but when asked again, I got the distinct impression he was asking me in case there was any reason to push me through the process.

The examination was standard and predictable.  The control questions were easy to identify.  I monitored my breathing the best I could, and maintained 20 breaths per minute for the ~2 hrs I was hooked up to the machine.  On the control questions, I allowed myself to feel a little nervous, and slightly quickened my breathing for 5 seconds after the question was read.  Otherwise, I kept everything level.

I was read the questions 4 times: 1st, normally, 2nd and 3rd was the silent answer test, and the 4th the examiner had me repeat the final word of the question and then answer out loud.  Apparently he suspected the use of countermeasures (though he didn't tell me that), but I kept my responses consistent throughout all four rounds of questioning.

At the conclusion of the test, he left and came back.  He said there were too many artifacts (without explaining what artifacts were), and the test couldn't be read.  He said he suspected I might have just been nervous, but the test would be reviewed by a panel, and I would likely need to retest.

I just received a letter stating that I "failed to follow the examiner's instructions, which made it impossible for the examiner to conduct an accurate examination.  As a result [I] have been removed from the examination process for 12 months."  This effectively removes me from the entire application process, since after 12 months my application will have expired.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Re: LAPD - "failed to follow examiners intstructions" - 1 yr until retest - help
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2014 at 4:43pm
Quote:
I plan to contest the results, but don't know where to start, or on what grounds to contest them.I tried searching the forums, but can't find anything specific or more current than 2007.Can anyone direct me to the relevant contact information, or advise on how to structure my grievance?My experience is described in more detail below...

Contest what?  The fact that you attempted countermeasures and got caught?  Let me direct you to the right place:  the unemployment office.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Re: LAPD - "failed to follow examiners intstructions" - 1 yr until retest - help
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2014 at 9:56pm
quickfix wrote on Mar 24th, 2014 at 4:43pm:
The fact that you attempted countermeasures and got caught? 

How do you know this? He stated that he was never accused of attempting countermeasures. The polygraph operator mentioned "artifacts" caused by not following instructions.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2014 at 10:11pm
Quote:
I plan to contest the results, but don't know where to start, or on what grounds to contest them.I tried searching the forums, but can't find anything specific or more current than 2007.Can anyone direct me to the relevant contact information, or advise on how to structure my grievance? 

El Nino, I can only offer an opinion from similar past experience with close associates. There are options to challenge those in power, but the long term results may be a moral victory only. The resulting collateral damage, could result in you not being considered again for any LE position. You have to choose your battles; if your goal is to continue seeking a LE position, it may be best to let it go and try elsewhere. However, if your goal is to spotlight the folly of using polygraphy in the hiring process, then it may be worth stirring the shit pot.

IP Logged

LAPD - "failed to follow examiners intstructions" - 1 yr until retest - help

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X