Normal Topic My experience - Any polygraphers out there? (Read 9299 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Hotsauce85
New User

My experience - Any polygraphers out there?
Sep 30th, 2013 at 7:53pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'll share my experience, and while I would like the thoughts of everyone, I especially would like the thoughts of actual polygraphers.

I took a sex history polygraph 8 months ago as a requirement of probation.  I admitted to the polygrapher that two years prior I had read some of what was on antipolygraph.org to see what I would have to do after my case was adjudicated.

Prior to the test, he spent 30-45 minutes telling me stories of people that had failed sex history polygraphs and trying to convince me that I needed to call this off and come back another time if I wasn't 100% comfortable.  I had been over my history numerous times with my therapist and had no reason not to be comfortable.  The control questions that I remember being asked were "Have you researched countermeasures with the intent of using them to pass this test", "Are you using countermeasures today", and "have you ever lied to your probation officer".  Well, I was completely comfortable with those question since I hadn't actually studied countermeasures and I had only seen my P.O. once and had no reason or intent to lie to him.

Well, I failed.  Deception Indicated even though I didn't lie or omit anything from my sex history.  I knew during any question about "sex" I could feel my heart beat and my chest tighten.  I felt comfortable before that appointment, but over 30 minutes of him telling me those stories must have helped spook me.

Luckily, my PO allowed me to choose another examiner and try again a month later.  This time, I didn't say anything about antipolygraph.org and got control questions about stealing things and being dishonest with my parents.  The polygrapher spent about 40 minutes trying to make me anxious but he covered the control and relevant questions equally.  He didn't just focus the entire time on making me anxious about the relevant questions like the first one did.

I passed.

Both polygraphers were supposedly highly regarded and had 20+ years experience.

How do polygraphers explain that I can be deceptive during one test and non deceptive on another if this should be accurate?

How do polygraphers that practice techniques like the first one sleep at night when their methods could have resulted in  my probation being revoked and me going to jail and not being able to support my kids even though I wasn't deceptive?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Re: My experience - Any polygraphers out there?
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 11:46pm
Hotsauce85 wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 7:53pm:
How do polygraphers explain that I can be deceptive during one test and non deceptive on another if this should be accurate?

The silence is deafening.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Hotsauce85
New User

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2013 at 1:16pm
Ex Member wrote on Oct 4th, 2013 at 11:46pm:
Hotsauce85 wrote on Sep 30th, 2013 at 7:53pm:

The silence is deafening.

I'm confused, if I talked about countermeasures I would have comments out the wazoo...but try to get an explanation of why I can get deceptive on one test and truthful on another when the relevant questions remain essentially the same and it's like everyone is on vacation.

Well, since this is the case I'll use common sense to come up with my own opinion.

Perhaps it's because an "experienced" polygrapher can create enough anxiety in a person and use tame enough control questions to cause a truthful person to fail.

I'm not going as far as saying the science is complete junk, but with no enforceable standards and the fact that polygraphers can manipulate the test by playing mind games means the results are not only useless, but extremely damaging to the innocent and potentially give a false sense of security to a guilty person that passes.

All of you polygraphers out there that have read this and aren't responding are cowards that need to start taking online courses to get a real job.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Aunty Agony
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2013 at 5:43pm
Well, it's been over 30 days and still no polygrapher has come forward to explain how Hotsauce85 could be found deceptive and non deceptive on the same test by different examiners.

Perhaps the explanation would reveal too many dirty secrets about the lie-detector business.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sully
New User

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 1:59pm
and they won't, I'm sorry, but polygrapher examiners are not only deceptive, but bullies who ruin the lives of other human beings, and get paid to do so????   Angry

I used to have such faith in law enforcement and this country...no more, as I've seen way to much corruption to last a lifetime.  Sad but true....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2014 at 8:17pm
Sully wrote on Jan 7th, 2014 at 1:59pm:
I used to have such faith in law enforcement and this country

what a shame!  Why don't you move to Iran or North Korea!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Aunty Agony
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 11:16am
quickfix wrote on Jan 7th, 2014 at 8:17pm:

Not necessary.  In a few years conditions in this country will be just like those places.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 3:58pm

why don't you answer the question?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2014 at 3:58pm
Aunty Agony wrote on Jan 8th, 2014 at 11:16am:

Not necessary.  In a few years conditions in this country will be just like those places.

I fear you are more than correct!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AusTexan

Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 10:09am
I would not take much from the "silence."  There just may not be polygraphers reading this thread at all.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2014 at 6:33pm
Quote:
I would not take much from the "silence."There just may not be polygraphers reading this thread at all. 

Do you really believe that?

IP Logged

My experience - Any polygraphers out there?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X