Normal Topic Lafayette LX4000 Electrodermal Channel Defect (Read 8872 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Lafayette LX4000 Electrodermal Channel Defect
May 22nd, 2013 at 5:24pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
On Monday, 20 May 2013, McClatchy Newspapers reported on a defect affecting the electrodermal channel of the Lafayette Instrument Company's LX4000 polygraph system:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/05/20/191542/glitch-in-widely-used-polygraph.htm...

The percentage of examinations affected is unknown, but in some cases it's large enough a factor that it can flip outcomes depending on whether the electrodermal channel is scored with data from the instrument's "manual" or "automatic" modes.

I'd be especially interested in the thoughts of polygraph examiners on this matter, especially those who use or have used the LX4000.

Questions that I think are worth addressing include:

1) Should the Quality Control section of polygraph units review all charts produced with the LX4000 for possible discrepancies between outcomes based on whether the manual or automatic EDR EDA mode is used? Why or why not?

2) Since very large numbers of polygraph charts evidently stand in need of review, is this a task that could be automated with software?

3) If you think this is much ado about nothing, and no action is actually warranted, why do you believe that to be true?

And of course, any other points that you think are applicable here would be welcome.

By the way, Criminal Justice Policy Foundation president Eric E. Sterling has what I think is a cogent commentary on this matter here:

http://justiceanddrugs.blogspot.com/2013/05/is-justice-system-blase-about-injust...
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2013 at 6:26am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Doug Williams
Especially Senior User

Re: Lafayette LX4000 Electrodermal Channel Defect
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2013 at 5:56pm
I was instrumental in getting the polygraph outlawed in the private sector - with the passage of the EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT, pre-employment polygraph testing became a federal crime!  So what explains this schizophrenia in the government?  They outlaw the polygraph in one area and expand it in another!  I'm afraid I know - I think President Nixon told us why the government uses it when he said, "I don't know anything about polygraphs, and I don't know how accurate they are, but I know they'll scare the hell out of people, and that's why I like to use them!"  I have proved the polygraph is not a "lie detector", so there is no justification for the government to continue to use it on the pretext that it protects our national security - and when you factor in all the damage done to people who are falsely branded as liars by these con men and their unconscionable conduct, the fraud perpetrated by the polygraph industry should be a federal crime in every instance!  Everyone deserves to be protected from this insidious Orwellian instrument of torture!  Shame on anyone who administers these "tests" - and shame on the government for allowing this state sponsored sadism!

I have been fighting the thugs and charlatans in the polygraph industry for forty years.  I tell about my crusade against the insidious Orwellian polygraph industry in my book FALSE CONFESSIONS - THE TRUE STORY OF DOUG WILLIAMS' CRUSADE AGAINST THE ORWELLIAN POLYGRAPH INDUSTRY.  Please visit my website POLYGRAPH.COM and follow me on TWITTER @DougWilliams_PG

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2013 at 6:17pm
Doug,

I share your dim view of polygraphy, even absent glitches in the equipment. But my purpose in raising the above questions is not to taunt or goad polygraphers, but to encourage cool, rational discussion of a timely topic that is highly relevant to polygraph policy. I think that these questions should be of interest to both proponents and opponents of polygraphy.

Does your computerized polygraph instrument (Axciton, I think?) have both "manual" and "automatic" settings for the electrodermal channel? If so, have you ever noticed different outcomes depending on which setting was used for scoring purposes?

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2013 at 6:34pm
Yes & yes.  And even the old analog instruments have a knob that you can turn to adjust the "sensitivity" of the GSR.

I have been fighting the thugs and charlatans in the polygraph industry for forty years.  I tell about my crusade against the insidious Orwellian polygraph industry in my book FALSE CONFESSIONS - THE TRUE STORY OF DOUG WILLIAMS' CRUSADE AGAINST THE ORWELLIAN POLYGRAPH INDUSTRY.  Please visit my website POLYGRAPH.COM and follow me on TWITTER @DougWilliams_PG

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2013 at 4:21am
The Lafayette Instrument Company denies in a letter to customers also published on its website that any problem exists, averring "There is nothing wrong with the LX4000":

Quote:
https://www.lafayettepolygraph.com/email/eda-response/

RESPONSE TO RECENT ARTICLES PUBLISHED ONLINE
MAY 22, 2013

Dear Colleagues,

More than two months ago, Lafayette Instrument Company received questions from a journalist regarding our EDA (electrodermal activity sensor), our LX4000 polygraph system, and our business practices. We were not obligated to respond to the questions, but we did respond hoping that we could improve the quality and integrity of the subsequent article. In that regard, we were unsuccessful. On or around May 20, 2013, a series of articles were published online and we feel these articles selectively ignored extensive amounts of data that we provided to the lead journalist.

The complete set of questions, and our responses, can be found here:

http://www.lafayettepolygraph.com/eda-questions.pdf

Additionally, we provided a shorter EDA document to our customers and partners in March (2013):

http://www.lafayettepolygraph.com/eda-info.asp

To summarize:

There is nothing wrong with the LX4000. Implications in the news media regarding LX4000 problems are based in misinformation. We are continuously engaged in research and development to improve all of our products and we are certain that the LX4000 and LX5000 devices represent the best technology available to the profession. The EDA phenomena referenced in the article involves the potential for occasional tracing variations between Manual and Auto EDA; this is a known phenomenon that is documented in psychophysiology literature, and is not unique to devices from Lafayette Instrument. It was irresponsible and misleading to alarm people by labeling a known phenomenon, a “glitch” It was similarly confusing to misuse the term “skew” in an unscientific way. All EDA modes have their advantages and disadvantages. LIC has taken the approach of helping customers evaluate these advantages and select the EDA mode that best meets their needs.

We stand by our products and we will work with you to quickly resolve issues or address further questions as needed.

For more information, or to get to know us better, please contact

Terry Echard
President and General Manager
terry@lafayetteinstrument.com

Chris Fausett
Vice President and
Polygraph Product Manager
chris@lafayetteinstrument.com

Jennifer Rider
Vice President and CIO
jennifer@lafayetteinstrument.com

Lafayette Instrument Company, Inc.   PO Box 5729 Lafayette, IN 47903   Tel: (765) 423-1505   info@lafayetteinstrument.com

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2013 at 9:18pm
In other words, everyone in the polygraph "profession" knows that referring to the polygraph as a "lie detector" is just BULLSHIT!  So who cares whether the GSR goes a little whacky at times?  After all, the polygraph is just a prop we use to scare the hell out of people anyway.  And, as to "scoring" the test, that too is BULLSHIT!  We all know the "score" of truth or deception is whatever we say it is - we don't have to prove a damn thing to anyone and we don't answer to anyone!

George W. Maschke wrote on May 23rd, 2013 at 4:21am:
The Lafayette Instrument Company denies in a letter to customers also published on its website that any problem exists, averring "There is nothing wrong with the LX4000":

Quote:
https://www.lafayettepolygraph.com/email/eda-response/

RESPONSE TO RECENT ARTICLES PUBLISHED ONLINE
MAY 22, 2013

Dear Colleagues,

More than two months ago, Lafayette Instrument Company received questions from a journalist regarding our EDA (electrodermal activity sensor), our LX4000 polygraph system, and our business practices. We were not obligated to respond to the questions, but we did respond hoping that we could improve the quality and integrity of the subsequent article. In that regard, we were unsuccessful. On or around May 20, 2013, a series of articles were published online and we feel these articles selectively ignored extensive amounts of data that we provided to the lead journalist.

The complete set of questions, and our responses, can be found here:

http://www.lafayettepolygraph.com/eda-questions.pdf

Additionally, we provided a shorter EDA document to our customers and partners in March (2013):

http://www.lafayettepolygraph.com/eda-info.asp

To summarize:

There is nothing wrong with the LX4000. Implications in the news media regarding LX4000 problems are based in misinformation. We are continuously engaged in research and development to improve all of our products and we are certain that the LX4000 and LX5000 devices represent the best technology available to the profession. The EDA phenomena referenced in the article involves the potential for occasional tracing variations between Manual and Auto EDA; this is a known phenomenon that is documented in psychophysiology literature, and is not unique to devices from Lafayette Instrument. It was irresponsible and misleading to alarm people by labeling a known phenomenon, a “glitch” It was similarly confusing to misuse the term “skew” in an unscientific way. All EDA modes have their advantages and disadvantages. LIC has taken the approach of helping customers evaluate these advantages and select the EDA mode that best meets their needs.

We stand by our products and we will work with you to quickly resolve issues or address further questions as needed.

For more information, or to get to know us better, please contact

Terry Echard
President and General Manager
terry@lafayetteinstrument.com

Chris Fausett
Vice President and
Polygraph Product Manager
chris@lafayetteinstrument.com

Jennifer Rider
Vice President and CIO
jennifer@lafayetteinstrument.com

Lafayette Instrument Company, Inc.   PO Box 5729 Lafayette, IN 47903   Tel: (765) 423-1505   info@lafayetteinstrument.com

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Lafayette LX4000 Electrodermal Channel Defect

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X