Normal Topic Department of State's Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR) Polygraph Policy (Read 15773 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PossibleDOSapplicant

Department of State's Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR) Polygraph Policy
Mar 25th, 2013 at 5:40am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So one agency I'm very interested in applying for when I graduate is the Department of State's Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR). However, looking online, I haven't been able to find anything about how the INR conducts their security clearance investigations, particularly whether or not they polygraph. Does anyone know anything about their polygraph policy?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Department of State's Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR) Polygraph Policy
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 5:51am
The State Department, quite wisely, does not rely on polygraphs. There is no pre-employment polygraph screening for INR or any other arm of the State Department.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PossibleDOSapplicant

Re: Department of State's Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR) Polygraph Policy
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2013 at 6:13am
George W. Maschke wrote on Mar 25th, 2013 at 5:51am:
The State Department, quite wisely, does not rely on polygraphs. There is no pre-employment polygraph screening for INR or any other arm of the State Department.

Wow, this is great to hear! I already wanted to apply to this bureau because I liked the idea of working for a less well-known intelligence agency but now I'm enamored! crappity smack the CIA and the NSA, I'm applying here!

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 6:11pm
I think I overstated the facts when I wrote above, in a categorical way, that the State Department does not rely on polygraphs. While it is true that the State Department does not require U.S. citizen employees to submit to polygraphic interrogation, the same is evidently not true with respect to locally hired persons at U.S. embassies overseas. See, "U.S. Embassy in Yemen Reportedly Forces Local Employees to Submit to Polygraph 'Testing'" posted to our blog today.

I have also heard from an Afghan citizen who sought employment with the U.S. Agency for International Development in Kabul that his application was rejected after he failed to pass a polygraph interrogation.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Unhappy in Kabul

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 1:30pm
The US Embassy polygraphs Afghans and fires them if they fail.  Wonder if the cultural differences have an impact on this test and if a polygraph is authorized under State Department rules for foreign employees.  Is heartbreaknig to watch Afghan friends be fired after years of servie to the US government.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 4:56pm
Unhappy in Kabul,

No doubt cultural differences have an impact, which is not to say that polygraphy has any validity to begin with (it doesn't). Matters are further confused where interpreters are used. The number of federal polygraph examiners fluent in Persian or Pashtu must be close to zero. And something will inevitably be lost in translation.

The State Department's policy of firing local national employees for such arbitrary and capricious reasons as polygraph chart readings is bound to undermine security by creating unfounded confidence in those who pass and ill-will against the United States among those who are wrongly terminated.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 6:05pm
Your last sentence matches my sentiments exactly.
I've always been amazed by how many persons that won't work for the CIA or NSA, have no problem joining the Foreign Service or other State Dept. offices! Angry

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 6:09pm
I can't understand why everybody wants to work for State, although they won't work at CIA or NSA.

Don't they know that they will end up working alongside CIA scum?

YouTube  
IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 6:13pm
Has Hamid Karzai ever been polygraphed?  (the crook whom the CIA sends bundles of cash regularly) Angry

YouTube  
IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 6:15pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Mar 25th, 2013 at 5:51am:

However, I suspect that other aspects of the background check are just as rigid as at other agencies.

YouTube  
IP Logged

Department of State's Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR) Polygraph Policy

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X