Normal Topic VA OIG Polygraph Program (Read 6532 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

VA OIG Polygraph Program
Mar 11th, 2013 at 12:43pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
AntiPolygraph.org has received a copy of U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, Office of Inspector General Directive 51 210 dated 13 August 2012, which "outlines the OIG policies and procedures concerning the use of the polygraph examination as an investigative technique." The document, which was released pursuant to a Freedom of Information Act request and includes some redactions, may be downloaded as a 15.4 mb PDF file here:

https://antipolygraph.org/documents/va-oig-polygraph-program.pdf

If you are a VA employee and have been asked to submit to a polygraph examination, you'll want to review this document first. It makes it clear that the whole point of OIG polygraph "testing" is to get admissions. Section 1.b.3 provides:

Quote:
...The detection of deception is only part of the procedure. Examinations are completely successful when the end result achieved is arriving at the truth...

"Arriving at the truth" is a euphemism for getting a confession from the person under investigation.

A particularly odious provision of the VA OIG directive is that the audio or video recording of polygraph examinations "is normally not authorized." (See Sections 4.a.1 and 2.) There is no good faith reason not to record a polygraph examination. The sole rationale for not doing so is to give the polygraph operator carte blanche to use whatever interrogation tactics he or she pleases, knowing that no objective record of what transpired in the polygraph suite will ever surface. If there's any dispute about what was said or done, it will, by design, be the polygrapher's word against the suspect's.

If you've been asked to submit to a polygraph "test," be aware of the provisions of Section 6.a:

Quote:
Refusal to Undergo a Polygraph. If a VA employee is the subject of an OIG investigation and declines to undergo a polygraph examination, no adverse administrative action may be taken against the employee based solely on their refusal to take the exam. Investigators should advise VA managers and/or supervisors that no adverse action may be taken based against [sic] an employee based solely on the employee's refusal to undergo a polygraph examination.

However, if you take the polygraph and fail, the results can (and no doubt will) be used against you. It is quite common for truthful persons to fail the polygraph, and you would be well advised to exercise your right to refuse.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2013 at 3:00pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Doug Williams
Especially Senior User

Re: VA OIG Polygraph Program
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 1:23pm
So they are finally admitting that what I testified to in Congress in 1982 is true!  The polygraph is nothing but a "psychological billy club" that is used to coerce a person into confessing.  Often these are false confessions!

I have been fighting the thugs and charlatans in the polygraph industry for forty years.  I tell about my crusade against the insidious Orwellian polygraph industry in my book FALSE CONFESSIONS - THE TRUE STORY OF DOUG WILLIAMS' CRUSADE AGAINST THE ORWELLIAN POLYGRAPH INDUSTRY.  Please visit my website POLYGRAPH.COM and follow me on TWITTER @DougWilliams_PG

Doug Williams
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: VA OIG Polygraph Program
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2013 at 1:41pm
Well, they aren't making that admission explicitly. Section 1.b.3. also states in its entirety:

Quote:
The polygraph is a scientific, diagnostic instrument that graphically records physiological changes that take place in a person at a specific time. In the hands of a trained examiner, it is highly reliable in detecting deception being practiced by a subject regarding a specific issue. The end result of the procedure, therefore, is to obtain the truth concerning a specific matter. The detection of deception is only part of the procedure. Examinations are completely successful when the end result achieved is arriving at the truth (see example Polygraph Examination Report).

Of course, the National Academy of Sciences disagrees with the VA OIG on the reliability of polygraphy, concluding instead that "Almost a century of research in scientific psychology and physiology provides little basis for the expectation that a polygraph test could have extremely high accuracy."

Professor Stephen Fienberg, who headed the NAS polygraph review panel, has put it more bluntly: "Polygraph testing has been the gold standard, but it's obviously fool's gold." More recently, he told Chicago Tribune reporter Duaa Elbeib, "The problem is people are regularly lulled into believing that if they're innocent, the polygraph will show that they're innocent, and I don't think anyone should expect that."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

VA OIG Polygraph Program

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X