Normal Topic Minnesota Sex Offender Program Declares Polygraph Information "Contraband" (Read 19763 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Minnesota Sex Offender Program Declares Polygraph Information "Contraband"
Feb 23rd, 2013 at 11:41am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
A document on the Minnesota Department of Human Services website defines polygraph information as "contraband on the grounds of Minnesota Sex Offender Program facilities," specifically prohibiting:

Quote:
material or information related to polygraphs, including publications or information on how to “beat” or “pass” a polygraph. This includes countermeasure material a client could use in an attempt to appear nondeceptive when the client’s physiological responses are being monitored during a polygraph examination, including but not limited to: books, magazines, audio or videos describing countermeasure techniques.

Does it sound to you like the polygraph community really thinks that countermeasures don't work and that polygraph operators can readily detect them?

dhs16_167914.pdf ( 102 KB | Downloads )

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill_Brown
Very Senior User

Re: Minnesota Sex Offender Program Declares Polygraph Information "Contraband"
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2013 at 7:41pm
George, 

This law allows for the offender to be violated if he/she researches methods to defeat polygraph, it does not say the methods work, simply that it is considered "contraband".  This would be a violation of the treatment rules and would subject the individual to revocation.  When caught using countermeasures the individual would be violated and subject to incarceration for the term of probation in most cases.  It simply discourages the research or use of countermeasures.   

I am not ignorant enough to say all countermeasures do not work, most are detectable or ineffective unless one is practiced and proficient in their usage.  My advise is simply don't use them.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2013 at 8:00pm
Bill,

You say most countermeasures are detectable. I say you're blowing smoke. Please prove me wrong.

If polygraphy actually worked and were robust against countermeasures, then the Minnesota Sex Offender Program wouldn't make learning the truth about polygraphy a thought crime; it would instead encourage it.

George

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 12:45am
George I have caught numerous persons using countermeasures and they do admit to it.  I cannot prove you wrong, how would an examiner know. without doubt, if an examinee was utilizing CM if there is no confession to utilizing them?  If you alter breathing, create pain or employ similar type CM's, the are evident to properly educated examiners.  We do study the differences in "normal" and generated responses using CM's.   Do we catch them all?  I'm sure we do not.   

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 8:03am
Bill,

You could prove me wrong if you could provide evidence that countermeasures can be detected. Anecdotes about those you've accused of countermeasures who subsequently confessed do not prove that you can actually "detect" countermeasures. If a polygraph operator accuses enough examinees of employing countermeasures, some will eventually make admissions.

You claim, "[i]f you alter breathing, create pain or employ similar type CM's, the[y] are evident to properly educated examiners."

Well, where is the evidence for that? There are no studies that support this viewpoint. On the contrary, the available research supports the opposite view: that even experienced polygraphers who are vigilant for potential countermeasures and have foreknowledge of what countermeasures might be employed are unable to detect them.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Annabelle

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 3:37pm
Hi george.

Just to let you know to let the public know that an examiner in the UK is putting videos on youtube explaining in detail how they work.
One is online and they will all be done by the end of the year. Look at forestpolyrearch.co.uk and check the vidoes on youtube.
Best wishes
Anny

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Annabelle

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2013 at 3:42pm
sorry i typed it wrong

it is
forestpolyresearch

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box poly passer

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2013 at 12:30am
I agree with George Maschke on this one.  Everyone I know that has taken a polygraph, myself included, gets accused of using countermeasures.  It is part of the polygraph procedure, to accuse people of stuff and see what they will confess to.  George is right.  If you accuse enough people of using countermeasures, some people will admit to it.  Others won't.  Polygraphers are merely fishing in this regard.

I will tell you that the BEST countermeasures to use are mental ones.  I mean really, common sense will tell you that if a person is biting their tongue, holding their breath, or doing something else physical but doing it incorrectly that it can be spotted. I can look at a person and see if they are biting their tongue sometimes.  And those tubes they put around your chest monitor breathing, so if you don't employ countermeasures correctly, you can screw up.  The reason polygraphers haven't come out with some sort of public report or video showing how they detect these things are because once they give away their detection method and show what the magical charts look like from someone using these countermeasures, then everyone will switch to a different countermeasure to try to beat the polygraphers.

Mental countermeasures work best, because nobody can read your mind.  Which is why the polygraph doesn't work.  Frankly, if you think about how much you want to kill someone the entire polygraph session, or think about sex, or all the dirty deeds you've done and not been caught for, you can appear to be having a "reaction" the entire time.   

Anyway, I encourage everyone to use mental countermeasures if you choose to.  They are the safest to use and less likely you will screw up.  Read TLBTLD, and make sure you properly employ mental countermeasures.  Trust me, they work.  They worked for me. 

Wink

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 5:08pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Feb 24th, 2013 at 8:03am:
If a polygraph operator accuses enough examinees of employing countermeasures, some will eventually make admissions.

I do not accuse persons of CM usage unless the tracings show they are using CM's. This would be about one in five examinees.  If an admission is obtained further testing is afforded the individual and IF there are no CM usage in the second round, I have a good test.   

George W. Maschke wrote on Feb 24th, 2013 at 8:03am:
On the contrary, the available research supports the opposite view: that even experienced polygraphers who are vigilant for potential countermeasures and have foreknowledge of what countermeasures might be employed are unable to detect them.

What research are you taking about?  I have not seen this research.  I would like to read it and be more informed.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 8:01pm
Bill,

How, in your view, might the tracings show that they are using countermeasures?

The polygraph countermeasure research to which I refer above is by Charles R. Honts and co-authors. You'll find citations (and article abstracts) in the bibliography of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 6:24am
George, 

The study you are referring too is from the late 80's.  We have advanced in detection of CM's.  I will not elaborate on the specifics of the tracings that I personally look at, however there has been other research done more recently that demonstrates use of CM's causes innocent persons to fail and the CM's are apparent when the individual is not schooled in the use of them.  Dr. Richardson would be able to properly employ CM's in my humble opinion.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 6:44pm
Bill_Brown wrote on Feb 28th, 2013 at 6:24am:
We have advanced in detection of CM's.

If there were distinguishable attributes which separate countermeasure induced responses from "normal" ones, it would be easy for software developers to write a program to alert the operator to the use of countermeasures. This has not transpired, despite decades of research by the DODpi. Sir, countermeasures are not detectable and I must agree with George that you are blowing smoke. You guys can B.S. your examinees, but here you must show provenance if you wish to be credible.

IP Logged

Minnesota Sex Offender Program Declares Polygraph Information "Contraband"

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X