Normal Topic Previously been to a mental health facility in California -- my odds? (Read 2700 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box thetraveler
New User

Previously been to a mental health facility in California -- my odds?
Dec 23rd, 2012 at 12:05am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I plan on applying for a LE job in the future once I'm old enough to apply. I really want to do this, and I feel I'd be successful in it. I'm just curious as to what your opinions of my adds are?

When I was 17, I had a bad day, and said something which was taken was taken seriously, as well as out of context. I had said "Wow, I want to die" because of the events which had occurred that day. I wasn't serious, nor did I mean anything by it. Nonetheless, the person who heard it called the Sheriff's Department and they took me down to a hospital under California WIC 5150 (involuntary 72 hour psychological evaluation for those who are possibly a danger to themselves/danger to others/gravely disabled. I was released after the 72 hours without being prescribed any medications. Beyond that, I've never been on medications in my life. I was simply having a rough patch at the time. 

I was discharged with a diagnosis of "Major Depression" -- which, sure I wasn't happy, but I'm not overall depressed all (or at least I don't feel it) the time, nor did I actually want or try to hurt myself. Anyway, I've been seeing a psychologist since, and she's knocked it down to dysthymia and it's something I actively work on in hopes of knocking it down to nothing. 

I'm wondering how much this will affect my chances of pursuing a career in law enforcement? Will they see it when I tell them and immediately say no, or will they still consider me and evaluate me to see if I'd be qualified?

I'm the first to admit I've made mistakes. At the time, I was just "young and dumb" really. I wasn't thinking about what I was saying at the time. Should I be as concerned about this as I am, or will this probably blow over? Going to a mental hospital looks really bad on paper, so it's very discouraging. Anyway, what are your views?
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2012 at 12:24am by thetraveler »  

IP Logged

Previously been to a mental health facility in California -- my odds?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X