Normal Topic Is the Petraeus Affair a Failure of Polygraph Screening? (Read 15162 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Is the Petraeus Affair a Failure of Polygraph Screening?
Nov 10th, 2012 at 9:31am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  

David H. Petraeus

On Friday, 9 November 2012, CIA Director David H. Petraeus tendered his resignation, explaining:

Quote:
Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA. After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours. This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation.

Other reporting indicates that the extramarital affair Petraeus cites as the reason for his resigning began while he was commander of US and ISAF forces in Afghanistan, that is, before his assumption of duties as CIA director.

The affair reportedly came to light in the course of an ongoing FBI investigation into suspected unauthorized attempts to access Petraeus's Gmail account.

All CIA employees are required to undergo pre-employment polygraph screening, and it seems likely that Petraeus would have been polygraphed. If so, it would seem that the polygraph failed to bring to light misconduct so serious as to warrant the CIA director's resignation.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box getrealalready
Senior User

Re: Is the Petraeus Affair a Failure of Polygraph Screening?
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2012 at 6:27pm
I'm guessing we can count on the fingers of a man with no hands the number of times a nominated CIA Director has failed a pre-employment polygraph examination.  Go figure  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2012 at 6:33pm
getrealalready wrote on Nov 10th, 2012 at 6:27pm:
I'm guessing we can count on the fingers of a man with no hands the number of times a nominated CIA Director has failed a pre-employment polygraph examination.  Go figure  Roll Eyes

Precisely. As I've commented on Pat Lang's blog, the polygrapher who fluttered Petraeus (assuming he did indeed go through the ritual) would have been more concerned about losing his job than Petraeus.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 8:11am
A Bloomberg article by Phil Mattingly and John Walcott cites a single, anonymous official source who claims that Petraeus was not polygraphed by the CIA in connection with his appointment as the Agency's director, because he had already been polygraphed in connection with his military service:

Quote:

The sensitivity of an extramarital affair at the CIA stems from the potential for exposure to blackmail, according to one U.S. official, as well as the issue of a leader setting a bad example for subordinates. In Petraeus’s case, however, the affair did not jeopardize his high-level security clearances, because he already had passed the polygraph exam required for a Top Secret clearance as a senior military officer and didn’t need to retake it at the CIA, the official said.

Implicit in the above passage is the notion that the polygraph would have brought the affair to light. But that's not necessarily the case because 1) polygraphy has no scientific basis and is highly unreliable and 2) as discussed above, senior officials at Petraeus's level don't fail polygraphs.

Note also that there is no indication in the article when Petraeus's military polygraph took place or precisely when he began his extramarital affair with Broadwell.

In addition, DoD uses a "counterintelligence scope" screening format, where the relevant questions are restricted to matters of counterintelligence concern such as unauthorized disclosure of classified information and contacts with a foreign government. The CIA, by contrast, uses a so-called "full scope" or "lifestyle" screening format, where relevant questions also cover drug use and criminal behavior. Adultery is punishable under Article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

If the CIA has a policy of not polygraphing new employees who have recently taken a polygraph with DoD, that would be newsworthy. On the other hand, if there is no such policy, and an exception was made for David Petraeus, that too would be newsworthy.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2012 at 1:28pm
George W. Maschke wrote on Nov 11th, 2012 at 8:11am:
If the CIA has a policy of not polygraphing new employees who have recently taken a polygraph with DoD, that would be newsworthy. On the other hand, if there is no such policy, and an exception was made for David Petraeus, that too would be newsworthy. 

George

I do not see how that is newsworthy.  Does anyone believe a polygraph examiner is allowed to veto a presidential appointment?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 4:03am
George

When I saw the video of him stateing that he or no one in the CIA gave the order to "stand down", I sent out emails and posted on facebook that he wouldn't be in that job come Jan. 1. I didn't think it would come this soon though. Remember he was supposed to be in front of a house committee this week to be grilled on the Benghazi attack. I believe the thinking was that if he's no longer head of the CIA, he would not have to appear. However, Rep. King has other ideas about that. That's my take on it.

Washington, D.C. is a mess.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2012 at 5:37am
pailryder wrote on Nov 11th, 2012 at 1:28pm:
Does anyone believe a polygraph examiner is allowed to veto a presidential appointment? 

Pailryder,
I'm curious to know what you would do if you were the polygrapher who was instructed to keep mum if a CIA director was bypassed or failed a polygraph. Would you keep omerta', or blow the whistle?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2012 at 11:18am
stefano

I would not need to be instructed.  I would follow the law of the state where I am licensed and maintain confidentiality.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 4:11am
Thanks for the reply. I was not aware that state polygraph licensing laws provided for such confidentiality. From what I know of you so far Pailryder, I don't think you would turn a blind eye to national security risks; just my gut feeling.

IP Logged

Is the Petraeus Affair a Failure of Polygraph Screening?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X