Normal Topic question for George or anyone else who passed with CMs.. in regards to using CMs with control ?S (Read 6790 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box CaliforniaSun
New User

question for George or anyone else who passed with CMs.. in regards to using CMs with control ?S
Nov 9th, 2012 at 3:58am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi George, I have read the "Lie Behind The Lie Detector" twice now, and I just had a couple questions that was hoping you could answer that I didn't quite understand. 

I just want to make sure I don't produce a false negative when I take a poly for a job.. 
I understand that you want to use countermeasures on control questions only, but my questions are:

1. Should I use CM's for every single control question, weather I answer yes or no to it?

2. Knowing that I cheated in school, should I say yes and use a CM, and also assuming they are going to ask me if I cheated in college (which i did) should I also say yes here (with CM) or should I say no and use a CM/no CM? Will it even make a difference?

3. On a control ? like "have you ever stole anything from work" I have, so would it be better to say yes (with a CM), yes without a CM, or NO (with a CM), and then if i say yes i would have to explain that i took pens, highlighters, etc and subject myself to further questioning on the matter... or is it better just to say NO with a CM since they are assuming a reaction from that question anyways?

IP Logged

New User

Re: question for George or anyone else who passed with CMs.. in regards to using CMs with control ?S
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 4:04am
Also, 

as far as these sample questions for control questions in your book: 

1. Have you ever lied to a supervisor?
2. Have you ever lied to loved ones?
3. Have you ever lied to parents, teachers, or the police?
4. Have you ever lied to get out of trouble?
5. Did you ever reveal anything told to you in confidence?
6. Did you ever cheat in school?
7. Did you ever cheat in college?
8. Did you ever betray the trust of a friend or relative?
9. Did you ever steal anything from an employer?(Note,however,
that any question about stealing money from an employer is a
relevant, not a control question!)

If I was answering all of these honestly, my answer would probably be YES to every single one.
If I say yes on any/all of these, would they all just go into a more detailed question that leads me to giving a No answer on the subject anyways?.. 

But I don't want to say yes to everyone right? Because I want to create a NO with CM reading for some of them... does it matter which ones/how many i say yes or no to?
OR as long as I am giving a CM with my answer, is me saying yes or no irrevalant? 

Sorry for repeating the same thing twice, I just don't want to sound unclear so you don't understand what I mean.. Thanks in advance I appreciate it. 

Also if anyone else has any legit input that has passed a lie detector and used CMs I would appreciate that too.

IP Logged

New User

Re: question for George or anyone else who passed with CMs.. in regards to using CMs with control ?S
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 4:33am
Basically George, 

To make things simplier.. is it best that I just answer NO to all these questions, and use a CM when I say no of course? 

1. Have you ever lied to a supervisor?
2. Have you ever lied to loved ones?
3. Have you ever lied to parents, teachers, or the police?
4. Have you ever lied to get out of trouble?
5. Did you ever reveal anything told to you in confidence?
6. Did you ever cheat in school?
7. Did you ever cheat in college?
8. Did you ever betray the trust of a friend or relative?
9. Did you ever steal anything from an employer?(Note,however,
that any question about stealing money from an employer is a
relevant, not a control question!)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2012 at 7:51am
CaliforniaSun wrote on Nov 9th, 2012 at 3:58am:
Hi George, I have read the "Lie Behind The Lie Detector" twice now, and I just had a couple questions that was hoping you could answer that I didn't quite understand. 

I just want to make sure I don't produce a false negative when I take a poly for a job.. 
I understand that you want to use countermeasures on control questions only, but my questions are:

1. Should I use CM's for every single control question, weather I answer yes or no to it?

One should produce a reaction to each control question that one clearly recognizes as such. Whether you answer the question yes or no is irrelevant.

Quote:
2. Knowing that I cheated in school, should I say yes and use a CM, and also assuming they are going to ask me if I cheated in college (which i did) should I also say yes here (with CM) or should I say no and use a CM/no CM? Will it even make a difference?

If you answer that question "yes" during the pre-test, the polygrapher will move to exclude your admission from the scope of the control question, rephrasing it as: "Other than what you told me, did you ever cheat in school?"

Quote:
3. On a control ? like "have you ever stole anything from work" I have, so would it be better to say yes (with a CM), yes without a CM, or NO (with a CM), and then if i say yes i would have to explain that i took pens, highlighters, etc and subject myself to further questioning on the matter... or is it better just to say NO with a CM since they are assuming a reaction from that question anyways?

Again, the polygraph operator will rephrase control questions to exclude any admissions that you make.

See my replies to "hardcopy" in the message thread, "LIE or not to lie."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 6:34am
Understood, thanks for the info George that helped clarify my questions.. I appreciate the speedy reply.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 6:43am
Also George, by chance would you happen to have a link on what specific control/relevant questions are typically asked for a US Customs Officer ploy exam?

I feel I have a pretty clear understanding on everything now from your book but just want to make sure if possible so I don't accidentally confuse a control with a relevant for some reason.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2012 at 7:34am
I would expect Customs and Border Patrol to be using the "Law Enforcement Pre-Employment Test," (LEPET) the format adopted generally by federal law enforcement agencies for pre-employment polygraph screening. You'll find the LEPET examiner handbook here:

https://antipolygraph.org/documents/dodpi-lepet.pdf

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 4:03am
Thanks George, that link has been helping me prepare.. 

Also, 

1. Will the pattern during the actual poly test always be : 1st question irrevalant to lead off, 2nd question sacrifice relevant... then control question, relevant question, control question, relevant question, etc. Until another irrevalant comes up?
What I mean it will it always follow a pattern of control, relevant, control, relevant... or could it possibly be control, control, relevant, control or something like control, relevant, relevant, control, releveant.. ?

and as far as countermeasures, if I plan on doing tongue biting, as well as mixing up a change of breathing rate, do I do both at the same time, or bite my tongue for 5 or so seconds, then alter breathing patterns for 5-10 seconds, then go back to tongue biting? 
Or is it more beneficial to try and bite down the whole time and alter breathing at the same time?

THANK YOU.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 7:55pm
CaliforniaSun,

With regard to your questions:

1. Not necessarily. There are different techniques with different protocols, and I cannot predict which you might encounter. And it's always possible that a question will be repeated. In any event, it would be imprudent to attempt to anticipate whether the next question is going to be relevant, control, or irrelevant based on its order in a question sequence.

2. One wants any reactions to be timely with the asking of the "control" question, so one would apply both the tongue bite (or alternatively, mental countermeasures) and any breathing reaction promptly upon clearly recognizing that the question being asked is indeed a "control" question (even before the examiner finishes reading the question).

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

question for George or anyone else who passed with CMs.. in regards to using CMs with control ?S

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X