Normal Topic Rejecting a cia offer (Read 8509 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kim Gore

Rejecting a cia offer
Sep 17th, 2012 at 9:54pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I applied to the agency a while ago, I went through the whole process, and I was told that it would probably take around a year for the process to complete. In the meantime, as what most people would do, I started working in the private sector for a year until I get cleared. Go figure, I get a call within a few months with a start date from them (CIA). The timeframe was so ambiguous, and now, there is no way that I can quit my current job and make other changes to work for them. They should have taken a year, as per their predictions. If I reject their offer now, will I be able to work for them in the future, considering the money they invested in me?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cia gave me the boot

Re: Rejecting a cia offer
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2012 at 11:31pm
You should be able to postpone your start date up to about 6 months out.  At least that is what they told me during their friendly recruitment process when we were all on congenial terms.  Things got ugly after polys.  Some people are able to defer for military reasons.  Generally though if they give you an offer and you turn it down, it may look bad later or may not.  There are a variety of stories like this on the internet for CIA and other jobs.  Check the FederalSoup.com forums.

It sounds like your process went pretty fast.  I was in process for over a year and didn't get in because they rejected me after polys.  Without identifying yourself, could you just share what position you applied for and your timeline (date of application, interviews, med/psych/polys at Dulles Discovery, call for start date)?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kim Gore

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2012 at 2:05am
As it turns out, I turned it down, and the security clearance that the cia sponsored was transfered to my current job which also requires clearance. The recruiter was pretty understanding, and said that if I ever reconsider working for the agency to just contact them in the future.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 8:30am
Those damned Agency recruiters will say and promise anything. Angry

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

Rejecting a cia offer

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X