Normal Topic Polypgraph test is destroying my relationship (Read 5741 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ellie
New User

Polypgraph test is destroying my relationship
Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:53pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have been with my significant other for over 9 years. Throughout our entire relationship I have dealt with his jealousy issues. A couple years ago he began accusing me of sleeping with a man that I had only been friends with. We fought about this every day for MONTHS!! Then one day he came home from work and informed me that I needed to get dressed because he had made an appointment for me to go and have a polygraph done.  I was shocked that he would go to such extremes and honestly didn't want to do it, not because I had anything to hide, but because I knew even if I passed which I fully intended would happen, it wouldn't solve anything because he would only then accuse me of finding a way to beat the polygraph. 

So I went because if I hadn't then he would have said that I was refusing to go therefore admitting to guilt and all hell would have broken loose. 

First off the lady who conducted the test operated out of a house in the middle of a very questionable neighborhood.  The house itself wasn't in the best condition, not very clean, Her machine looked like it was from 1980 something, I didn't see any kind of certificates on the wall. We went back to a bedroom which was her office, where we sat down and she proceeded to ask me a few questions, she then asked my significant other what he wanted her to question me about, and that all the questions had to be relevant to the same subject matter. Some of the questions were..
1. do you really love your significant other
2. did you look up anything on how to beat a polygraph
3. have you ever had sex with anyone other than your significant other
4. were you involved in a romantic relationship with the guy at question
5. did you ever meet up with the guy at question
6. did you plan a trip with intentions to meet up with the guy at question

while yes some are related, the first two aren't related to the same subject. at least I don't think so anyways. 

the lady then asks me if I was on any medications, which at the time I was. I was in a car accident in 08 which left me with ruptured/shattered discs all throughout my lumbar region, and my left and right nerve roots are being compressed and are damaged which has left me in severe chronic pain. At the time I was on the following medications
oxycodone 15mg 4 times a day
ms contin (morphine) 15mg 3 times a day
xanax 2mg
lithium (prescribed for bipolar disorder)
cymbalta (antidepressant)
gabapentin (nerve medication)
flexirol (muscle relaxer) 

there are two more but I can't remember which ones. Even with the pain medications I still lived day to day in a good deal of pain. The woman assured me that my medications wouldn't mess with the results of the test, I asked because my uncle who is a retired state trooper told me that I may have an issue since I was on all of those meds. 

once all the questions were gathered that I was to be asked, I was sat in a chair facing a wall that had a dirty white sheet of paper draped over it. I had a blood pressure cuff on my left arm, the straps around the chest and waste, as well as the things on my fingers. She said there would be three rounds of questions, each time they would be asked in a different way and in a different order. Once I was hooked up she went right into asking the questions my significant other wanted her to. She never asked any kind of baseline questions which made me curious how she was able to decipher what my responses were to truth and lies. 

The first two rounds of questions I was to answer out loud in yes or no form. During the questions she began inflating the bp cuff and inflated it too much and left it like that for several minutes, it pinched my arm and hurt, my arm began to throb and when I went to tell her she would interupt me and ask me to be quiet or we would have to start over again. Just as she would deflate the cuff she would begin to inflate it again so it was constant throughout the entire process, and after a while I felt the circulation beginning to cut off to the lower part of my arm. The way I had to sit in the wood chair didn't help with the pain I feel in my lower back so I was all in all very uncomfortable. 

When she got to the third round of questions she told me she didn't want me to answer them out loud, she said she wanted me to answer them in my head. Seemed a little odd because how would she know if I was or wasn't answering the questions at all. 

When it was over she called my significant other back into the room and began to go over the results, she said that I was deceptive in the majority of the questions. I ended up walking out of there and stepped outside, I was pissed because I knew that with her saying I was lying about cheating that I was either going to lose my significant other or that it would put a huge strain on our relationship. I had called my uncle who asked me to get a copy of the results so that he could have a guy who works for the barracks he worked at go over the results too. We did request a copy which she charged an additional $50 for on top of the almost $500 fee for the polygraph, we never received the copy of the results. 

The next day I called a few actual companies that conduct polygraphs and explained to them how everything went down and they told me that it didn't seem like proper protocol. 

Almost two years ago is when all of this happened. my relationship is still severely strained because he believes that I lied and did cheat on him. my question is this, I have heard conflicting statements regarding whether or not I should have been allowed to take a polygraph in the first place given the fact that both my spinal nerves are damaged, I live with chronic pain, the type of medications I was on, I have been told that all of these could have played a big role in the outcome of the polygraph. If this isn't true then I am not sure what to think at this point because I know that I was completely honest, never expected to be told I failed

sorry this is so long, I am just so annoyed with all of what has gone on with this crap, and want so badly to go back to that woman and rip her a new one for all the added strain she has put on my relationship. 

thanks for any help/advice that can be given.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Re: Polypgraph test is destroying my relationship
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:20pm
Ellie,

Diplomas on the wall mean nothing nor does the fact that she used an older analog instrument. What does matter is the quality of the procedure, which from what you describe, was completely botched. I will spare the readers of this forum the boring minutia required to accurately portray this debacle.

My greater concern is the situation you have found yourself in as I can feel it's very stressful for you. You should never have agreed to take a polygraph. As, Pailryder accurately mentioned previously, no polygraph results will calm the mind of an obssessively suspicious lover. IMHO, your relationship has already passed the point of no return and my advice is to walk out now with some dignity and find someone who will truly love you and nurture your spirituality rather than putting you through such torment.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Re: Polypgraph test is destroying my relationship
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:09pm
Sorry for the grief, but you need to dump your boy (friend). You have two problems - the first is the relationship you have, the second is believing that polygraph results have any validity to begin with.

But, not all is lost. You can probably get on Maury and be on national TV.

IP Logged

Polypgraph test is destroying my relationship

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X