Normal Topic Question regarding history for upcoming polygraph (Read 11082 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box GeorgiaRedClay
New User

Question regarding history for upcoming polygraph
Jul 20th, 2012 at 10:43pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm currently in the process of applying at my local sheriff's office.  I'm tremendously excited because I've been waiting to apply for a long time now, but I'm also a bit concerned because of some past history of mine.

I have a perfectly clean criminal record.  I don't even have a traffic citation and I've never been pulled over for anything.  I've never used drugs, never touched them, and I've followed the law to the best of my ability.  Now, regardless of how good my ability is, I did have two screw ups which I'm afraid may land me in some hot water with the department.

My pre-employment questionaire contains two separate questions which are of some concern to me.  The first regards if I have ever committed the crime of bestiality.  This is extremely embarrassing, but around the age of 15 or 16 (I do not exactly remember how old I was), I heard of the old "peanut butter" trick with a dog.  I was curious and I tried it once and have deeply regretted it ever since.  I've never tried it again and I've felt very ashamed of myself for even letting such a thing happen to me.  I feel like I am obligated to check this box "yes" and then proceed to explain the situation to the examiner when I go to take my polygraph test.  I'm concerned, however, because bestiality in Georgia carries a felony charge and up to five years in prison!  Shocked  I was unaware of the law at the time and I was a minor, but I'm concerned that if I confess this during my examination they'll slam me in cuffs and lead me away.  Any advice would be appreciated.

The other issue concerns incest.  When my sister and I were  both kids (I believe I was 15 and she was 11 or 12),there was some inappropriate touching that took place twice during a vacation, however there was no sexual intercourse and we never did anything like that again.  It was a foolish and stupid moment of exploration which I have also come to deeply regret.  According to Florida law, incest is classified as sexual intercourse involving penetration.  I'm wondering, therefore, if I should leave that question checked as "no" under the technicality of the law.  I was also wondering if I should still notify the examiner of the event or if I should just keep my mouth shut considering the fact that I didn't commit an actual crime.  

My main concern is being DQ'd for these incidents.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  I was so excited for this job and now I'm afraid that two mistakes in my past may end any future career in LE that I would seek to pursue.  Please understand that I do not think any of these things are right, they were very wrong and disgusting and I hate myself for the fact that I let it happen.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Re: Question regarding history for upcoming polygraph
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 4:21pm
Clay,
I hope you can see that they have you just where they want you--all fretting, submissive and compliant. You need to grow a pair right now and read TLBTLD several times.

Incest requires sexual intercourse. The peanut butter on the stick trick is more of a grey area. My advice to you: make NO ADMISSIONS unless tortured.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill_Brown
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 5:34pm
Age 15 you had sexual touching with a sibling age 11 or 12, that is called sexual abuse.  You did not engage in Incest, you may have committed a class 4 felony because of the age of your sister.  Peanut butter and a dog is troubling, most departments take into consideration your age and the number of times this occurred.  Unlike stefano, I advocate telling the truth and accepting consequences for bad acts.  Just one persons opinion

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box GeorgiaRedClay
New User

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 6:39pm
Thanks Stefano, I kinda figured out that's what they were trying to do to me in the first place after I posted that!  The point is, I didn't commit the crimes of incest or bestiality under the law, therefore I will just keep my mouth shut and answer the questions honestly without giving excess information.  From what I've been reading, there are others like me who've made one or two mistakes in their past when they were young idiots who now are trying to go into LE and are concerned about the same thing.  I don't believe either of these incidents will affect my ability as a police officer.

In regards to sexual abuse, I completely disagree with you, Mr. Brown.  Sexual abuse, according to the definition, is when one party perceives the advances as unwanted.  We were two kids in puberty who were curious.  We regret what we did, we've never done it since and our relationship is just the same as any other brother and sister now.  I could understand calling it sexual abuse if it continued over a period of time, but twice on vacation and then never again? I would hardly call it sexual abuse.  Besides, what are they gonna do? Throw me in cuffs and try to press charges against me?  My sister wouldn't press those charges, so they wouldn't be able to prosecute me for it.  I did not commit the crime of incest, therefore I will mark the answer as "no."

I appreciate the good advice.  Point is, I'm still a freaking virgin at twenty and I've never had sexual intercourse, so I'm marking those two as "no" and walking in with confidence.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:25am
Bill_Brown wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 5:34pm:
I advocate telling the truth and accepting consequences for bad acts. 

Bill, If others shared your altruism, I'd agree with you. However, from my vantage, there are too many scorpions under the rocks. These guys have no choice but to cover their own butts.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:39am
Stefano,

You may be correct, I tend to be on the 100% honesty side.  I do hate to see our society in the condition it is in, however it is there now.  I choose not to bring it lower, rather try to redeem it with my honesty and fostering others to join.  It may be a lost cause, we will see as times progresses.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 1:43am
GeorgiaRedClay, 

The State of Georgia "presses charges", not your sister.  With a 4 year age difference they could take you away in handcuffs, don't think they would but is something to consider.  Congratulations on your virginity.  Not many 20 year olds can boast about that, you should be proud.  We all have moments of weakness in our lives, you have had yours.  Thankfully you have moved on.  Good luck in your quest and do hope things turn out well for you.

IP Logged

Question regarding history for upcoming polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X