Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rejecting false positive job applicants (Read 13292 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gore Sassoon

Re: Rejecting false positive job applicants
Reply #15 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 7:51pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So it's the word "composure" that's throwing you guys off.  I'll let the team at the Arkansas Polygraph Association summarise a particular case for us:

"In the case, US v. Scheffer, it was ruled by the Supreme Court that polygraph evidence dint [sic] not have to be admitted in military court as evidence as the military were trained enough in keep[ing] their composure and could cheat polygraphs with their calm demeanor."

The link is: arkansaspolygraphassociation(dot)com/officers

As a funny side note, the accused was trying to use the polygraph results in his favour.   

Aimes, a successful polygraph foiler, posited: "...go into the test rested and relaxed.... try to maintain your calm."

While "composure" is a state of mind representing calm.  The result of a calm body can be measured.  Pulse, blood pressure and breathing all occur within a normal range.  When your body is stressed, your pulse increases, blood pressure increases and breathing rate increases.  And if your body is stressed, your mind is stressed.

Now, each person's baseline is slightly different.  If you are composed, meaning you are RELAXED and CALM, your body will not indicate an increase in the aforementioned items.   

All of this information can be found in the book on this site.

Stefano/quickfix,

Arkansas Polygraph Association's page:

"Polygraph machines are made using a combination of medical devices that monitor any change occurring in the body."

California Forensics:

"The polygraph instrument is basically a combination of medical devices that are used to monitor changes occurring within the examinee’s body."

Bill Brown,

Let me ask you two questions because you're obviously the person with the most experience here:

1) When a person's mental state changes from calm to stressed, are there physiological indications of such changes?

2) If physiological changes occur, is the polygraph able to record those changes?

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 7:51pm
So it's the word "composure" that's throwing you guys off.  I'll let the team at the Arkansas Polygraph Association summarise a particular case for us:

"In the case, US v. Scheffer, it was ruled by the Supreme Court that polygraph evidence dint [sic] not have to be admitted in military court as evidence as the military were trained enough in keep[ing] their composure and could cheat polygraphs with their calm demeanor."

The link is: arkansaspolygraphassociation(dot)com/officers

As a funny side note, the accused was trying to use the polygraph results in his favour.   

Aimes, a successful polygraph foiler, posited: "...go into the test rested and relaxed.... try to maintain your calm."

While "composure" is a state of mind representing calm.  The result of a calm body can be measured.  Pulse, blood pressure and breathing all occur within a normal range.  When your body is stressed, your pulse increases, blood pressure increases and breathing rate increases.  And if your body is stressed, your mind is stressed.

Now, each person's baseline is slightly different.  If you are composed, meaning you are RELAXED and CALM, your body will not indicate an increase in the aforementioned items.   

All of this information can be found in the book on this site.

Stefano/quickfix,

Arkansas Polygraph Association's page:

"Polygraph machines are made using a combination of medical devices that monitor any change occurring in the body."

California Forensics:

"The polygraph instrument is basically a combination of medical devices that are used to monitor changes occurring within the examinee’s body."

Bill Brown,

Let me ask you two questions because you're obviously the person with the most experience here:

1) When a person's mental state changes from calm to stressed, are there physiological indications of such changes?

2) If physiological changes occur, is the polygraph able to record those changes?

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 7:53pm
Sorry for the duplicate.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 9:16pm
Gore, you need to read up on how the sympathetic and parasympathetic components of the autonomous central nervous system interact. Until you get at least a layman's understanding, it would be futile to further discuss this subject with you.

*Quickfix, that's a much better side of you. That Eddy Haskell stuff is misleading. thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 10:15pm
Stefano,

Pull your pseudo-intellectual head out of your bum and enlighten me.  Why is it that you can never write anything substantial?  You seem to have a knack for writing sentences that are broad and contribute nothing.

Now, if you'll be so kind as to tell me why the APA and Ames were incorrect, using that big noggin of yours that you pretend is so full yet has failed to produce ANY data, sites with data or even anecdotes.

Of course, you can always just stop writing back.  It would certainly be your best argument so far because then I'd at least know that you have some level of reading comprehension.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 12:46am
I'm sorry Gore, but it's like trying to explain general relativity to an amoeba. I'm done, good luck to you.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 1:48pm
Stefano,

That's what I thought. 

Let me leave you with some final words to chew on.  Your only experience with the polygraph is the one time you failed it.  You're incapable of articulating your thoughts (if you even have any), you're incapable of critical thinking and you're a failure.  It's no wonder the government rejected you.

Toodles,

GS

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 2:11pm
Gee, I have finally been put in my place by a real expert. I feel so humble now.

"toodles" ?
get my head of my "bum" ?

This is one for the books!  Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2012 at 1:06am by »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #23 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 10:50am
Quote:
Let me preface by saying that if you get a false positive then that sucks.  But a good question is why shouldn't you be rejected for a government position if you produce a false positive?

Polygraphs are good at gauging composure, which is a critical component in working with security and intelligence.  If you're rattled by thoughts of drugs, terrorism or confrontation (e.g. false accusations) then government work probably isn't for you.

This seems to assume that false positives consist of a false accusation of deception by the polygraph operator, followed by a loss of composure by the examinee.

That is not how my false positives went.  Do you have any data to show what percentage of false positives occur that way?

And, BTW, this seems more like rationalization than anything else.  The polygraph is not touted as a way to measure someone's composure under stressful conditions - it is purported to be a scientifically valid method of detecting deception.  If it is unable to do that accurately, as in the case of a false positive, the polygraph and its operator have utterly failed in their mission.  To try and claim that they have succeeded in some tangential fashion by showing that the examinee loses composure under stress is disingenuous at best.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lame duck

Reply #24 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 6:33pm
i dont know about the composure argument. i think staying calm helps but thats good advice for anything you do.

the real question is how can you prove a false positive? the only person who knows the truth is the person taking the exam. theres no way to quantify that its truly a false positive, true positive, false negative or true negative. if you could quantify it then the method you used to do so would replace the polygraph.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jun 29th, 2012 at 8:30pm
Quote:
the only person who knows the truth is the person taking the exam.

Duck,

You hit the nail on the head.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill_Brown
Very Senior User

Reply #26 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 5:47pm

Bill Brown,

Let me restate what you have said:

1)  When a persons brain perceives a threat are there physiological indications of such changes?

Yes, relative blood pressure changes, GSR changes and changes in respiration are generally observed. 

2) Is polygraph able to record these changes?

Yes

I have restated your supposition using terms better understood in the polygraph arena and discarded your words regarding "Calm and Stressed".  Current studies have shown that a conflict in mental processes may cause the neurotransmitters in the brain to activate and cause physiological changes to occur.  The recording instrument, a polygraph, records these changes and the examiner then studies the changes and renders an opinion.   All physiological changes are not recorded by the instrument  pupillary dilation being one of several.   

I believe you should study polygraph more so your statements reflect the proper wording to make your point.  Attacks on other persons posting in reply to your statements does not bolster your argument.  (and does not reflect well on your ability to demonstrate sound reasoning).  I do hope this was not offensive to you.   

You may wish to look at Stefano and Quikfixe's posting history to get a clear picture of their background and knowledge.  Both have an abundance of knowledge in this area.  I suspect equal to or surpassing my own knowledge base.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #27 - Jul 2nd, 2012 at 2:03am
An officer I met at an instructor development class is a tactical officer in a large city.  He does lots of search warrants on drug houses - what is often called "tumultuous entry."  In other words, he is in the stack outside the door when they yell "Police! Search warrant!" and smash the door open with a battering ram.  He has probably had more guns pointed at his face than I have seen in my lifetime.  His coworkers all describe him as being utterly cool and composed during every raid, even when taking fire or having someone rush him with a knife or a baseball bat.

In this class, we all had to develop a lesson plan and teach ten minutes of it in front of everyone else.  I thought this guy was going to have a heart attack.  He was beet-red in the face, was nearly hyperventilating, and he could barely remember the title of his presentation.  He was literally terrified of getting up in front of a group and speaking.  And the group he was teaching was all other cops he knew at least to some degree.

If someone going through the arduous and tedious police application process is wrongly accused of some crime that will derail their chances of ever becoming a cop, it is entirely normal if they show stress.  Sometimes a great deal of stress.  The fact that they do is entirely unrelated to how they will or will not function under stress on the job.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill_Brown
Very Senior User

Reply #28 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 12:08am
And I might add to Sergeant1107's post, the stress he is talking about would not be to any question on the polygraph examination, it would be observed throughout the entire exam and should not affect any particular question on the examination.  It is simply the norm for that individual.  There would be no mental conflict to any particular question, only overall "stress".

IP Logged

Rejecting false positive job applicants

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X