Normal Topic Questions about CIA Psych screening (Read 26473 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jovie
New User

Questions about CIA Psych screening
May 28th, 2012 at 6:21pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
What does the CIA background check and psych screening involve? I had a rough childhood mentally-wise due to some traumas that I experienced. I was in counselling and on psych meds for some years. Will the CIA find out about this and hold it against me (say that this proves I may not be "mentally competent" or something?) I am only just starting this process and don't know how all this works.

Also, I know I had read somewhere on their site about illegal media downloading. I had also done quite a bit of this through the program Vuze. What can I say, I was just a naive kid, I thought everyone was doing it. Will this disqualify me?

So, I guess what I'm trying to figure out is exactly how deep they can go, especially about the psych stuff. If you still have anxiety or something today, does that disqualify you too? (isn't that technically a disability that they can't judge you for??) Or if you have mental illness in your past family?

Other than that, I have nothing to be ashamed of. I have tried only pot maybe 5 times total in my life, never tried other illegal drugs, and heck I only touch alcohol once a month! Never been arrested or even pulled over...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box secret op

Re: Questions about CIA Psych screening
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2012 at 11:57pm
Background check is standard Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) for a Top Secret security clearance.  Google it, you find all the info about SSBIs.  There is also the polygraph, which is what this site is all about.  Every agency poly is different, but this site does a good job detailing the CIA poly.  Search this site, if you aren't too lazy, because we don't want to retype or copy and paste words or links that were already said.

The psych screening involves the MMPI-2 multiple choice test, about 567 questions.  A "blue book test", in which you answer questions in handwritten sentences in a blue notebook about your family relationships, mental health history, and the like. You later chat with a shrink about your results.  If your mental health problems were a long time ago and have been resolved, then you should be fine.  But if you still have them and even take medication or have counseling for them, then that will be a big issue.  Remember the kind of work the CIA does.  Being a nutcase or a retard will cause you to be unsuitable. 

Don't worry about illegal downloading (unless you sold bootleg CDs and stuff for profit) or smoking a little pot, that is all common youth behavior.  Just be honest with them.  There is a one year rule on pot, but the downloading music threashold is unknown.   Most kids downloaded a few thousand.   Just stop doing and say you won't do it again.

I wouldn't stress about CIA too much, they reject many people that get conditional job offers for various stupid reasons.  It sounds like your biggest issue will be your mental health.  Just be honest and the psychologist at the CIA will decide if you are mentally compentent to be a spy. 
Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box secret op

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2012 at 12:06am
Oh, and this is all assuming that you even make it far in the process.  CIA gets over 10,000 applicants and the process can take 2 years plus from the time you apply.  Don't be surprised if they string you along for more than a year and still reject you.  It is best to not expect much from them so you won't be disappointed.  Here is another site that has info about the process:
http://federalsoup.federaldaily.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9979&FID=47&title=cia-hi...

This post has been edited to fix the referenced URL --AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2012 at 5:57am by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2012 at 2:34am
I love this reply,

Being a "nutcase or a retard" might be absolutely what they want.  These guys love the "off the wall applicants."

Who in their right mind wants to do this stuff? Not one reasonable person wants to do this spy stuff! I think you have just helped to eliminate the very people they want.  They need "out-of-the-box" thinkers who do not travel upstream with the rest of the salmon to spawn and die.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jovie
New User

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2012 at 5:45am
Fair Chance wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 2:34am:
I love this reply,

Being a "nutcase or a retard" might be absolutely what they want.  These guys love the "off the wall applicants."

Who in their right mind wants to do this stuff? Not one reasonable person wants to do this spy stuff! I think you have just helped to eliminate the very people they want.  They need "out-of-the-box" thinkers who do not travel upstream with the rest of the salmon to spawn and die.

Regards.

Kudos to that. Yes, I still have anxiety and some insomnia, but they are only a result of my high level of natural sensitivity. It is this sensitivity that also gives me my greatest gifts.   

TY for replies. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Questions about CIA Psych screening

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X