Normal Topic I can't believe it!!! (Read 2781 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EC

I can't believe it!!!
May 23rd, 2012 at 9:28pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Begin Rant: So yesterday I took my first polygraph exam ever as a part of the pre-employment process for the local PD. I FAILED! Not only was the examiner very unprofessional but he claimed to KNOW that I have committed acts to include domestic abuse(my wife laughed at this claim), having sex with a prostitute(possibly various times) as well as illicit drug abuse(namely heroin, steroids and cocaine).
I was not given the chance to finish, which may be a good thing since we hadn't even reached the "sex with corpses" or rape questions yet, or else I probably would have been falsely accused of those acts as well. He gave me the opportunity to "confess" to these acts and that whole the truth will set you free bull crap. And after I told him that the test must have been flawed and is completely false since there is NO WAY I have ever committed any of those acts. But he wasn't having any of it and simply kicked me out and sent me on my way saying I was done and had no shot of ever working there since I am a liar. I was so shocked and disgusted with the accusations that were put forth by this sorry excuse of a government employee and he even had the audacity to call me a liar to my face! At one point he even asked me if I have ever committed any crime that I could have been arrested for, to which I answered no. He then followed up with "well you're under 21 so have you ever drank or gotten drunk?" and I replied yes and yes but only in Mexico(legal minimum drinking age is 18) He then, apparently using his infinite understanding of the law said "Ok, well there you go. That's a minor in possession of alcohol as well as public intoxication!" I informed him that was not an arrest-able offense in the country I was present in. And he replied "that does not matter, it is illegal in the U.S". But to avoid a heated discussion that could have negative consequences on me getting hired, so I simply tucked my tail and pressed on... As you can see, obviously I was dealing with the best of the best that my city has to offer(NOT!)

Here is my background: I am turning 21 in July. I have been happily married for two years. I am proudly serving in the Air Force Reserves as an Air Traffic Controller and have been for two years now. I have three degrees-two A.A's and a B.S(a year before everyone I graduated High School with even has their Bachelor's Cool) I am also tri-lingual.I guess you could say I grew up in the "rough part" of town a.k.a the inner city. My father was a raging alcoholic and drug addict who died from a Heroin overdose when I was 12.(Which makes the "examiner's" accusations that much more upsetting) I had to pretty much beg just to get to the polygraph because according to the detective I am "simply too young to be competitive"...even though I meet the minimum age requirement and by all means would likely blow any other applicant out of the water.

Not to toot my own horn but I am just trying to show that I am obviously not the kind of person that would succumb to vices like those that I was accused of. I have repeatedly stated throughout the hiring process that I live my life to a high level of standards and integrity. There is no way in hell I would even touch any drugs after seeing what they did to my father. 

After he told me to just 'fess up to the truth and admit that I have committed these acts, I expressed that something must have been wrong. He of course then claimed that the machine doesn't lie and yadda yadda yadda. I told him that I have not gotten to where I have in life by banging hookers and snorting cocaine, to which he simply showed me the door.

Upon getting home I sent an e-mail to my detective stating how disappointed and disgusted I was with the "examiner" and the process and pointed out how unprofessional he was, especially to a veteran. I am almost positive and have come to terms with not getting hired there anymore but believe me I plan to seek legal actions for the injustice I received.

Now the concerning part is that I am actually in the hiring process to become a Border Patrol agent as well, and is actually going along much better, in fact I have successfully completed every step except for the background investigation. So my concern is that they will either acquire the results of my poly, or administer one on me themselves. When they get my results from this test, I will be screwed or if they administer one on me I feel that I might fail again for whatever reasons I failed the first one PLUS I would have it on my conscience that I failed the first one. In that case I would therefore be screwed for this career or any other 
Law Enforcement career I ever plan to pursue. Sucks because I feel so passionate about pursuing a career as an agent Angry

I am incredibly frustrated since I have never in any way, shape, or form done anything that he accused me of. I fear that I am now another innocent casualty to the polygraph exam. I am aware that I could pursue any other career field that I set myself to but Law Enforcement has been the one that I have always wanted pursue. Fingers Crossed!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jmo
New User

Re: I can't believe it!!!
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2012 at 10:39pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
First of all,do not give up on law enforcement. The best way to get in in my humble opinion is to apply at at least 3 agencies at once. One of them will pick you up. Secondly, DO NOT bring legal action against them, as that would most likely be a huge red flag in your background. And dont worry about failing that stupid test. I got buddies that failed 2 and 3 times in a row,and still got picked up by other agencies. If I were you I would write a very detailed letter to the Chief of that department. No form letter, actually take the time to draft it yourself. Chances are,he has no clue of what is going on. And no,there is no central database of applicants that fail a polygraph. Best of luck.

IP Logged

I can't believe it!!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X