Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Infidelity Poly (Read 11893 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FoolTheGraph
New User

Infidelity Poly
May 22nd, 2012 at 10:16pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
What kind of test is generally used on an infidelity poly? CQT? GKT? R/I?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Re: Infidelity Poly
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2012 at 11:40pm
Aside from being dumb enough to believe the results would be valid in the first place, do you really think a test is going to make you or your SO feel better about things? If you do, then you have two problems: your original one, related to the state of your relationship, and two, believing that the polygraph has any validity to begin with.

Let's say you are the one taking the test, and you have not been unfaithful, but you are scored as being deceptive. Then what? Or, put the shoe on the other foot - your SO swears up and down he/she has not been unfaithful, but the results say otherwise. 

The only person is who guaranteed to feel good about the outcome is the polygrapher, who is laughing all the way to the bank with your $200-300 you just pissed away in the name of "truth."
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2012 at 12:08am by Mr. Truth »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FoolTheGraph
New User

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2012 at 1:28pm
Appreciate the reply, but you assume that I or my SO is taking one.... the question actually doesn't apply to me, but to a close friend of mine who is dealing with a situation.

When his SO tells him that if he doesn't take the poly, she is divorcing him and they have three kids - it's not so easy to say I'm not taking it. I am simply trying to give him all the information and letting him decide.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2012 at 1:29pm
On so-called "fidelity" polygraphs the technique used is almost always a probable-lie CQT.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2012 at 4:35pm
FoolTheGraph

If your friend has been faithful and is willing to accept the risk of a false positive, it could be money well spent.  If he has been unfaithful, as his SO suspects, he should fess up and save the money for his child support payments.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2012 at 9:17pm
pailryder wrote on May 23rd, 2012 at 4:35pm:
FoolTheGraph

If your friend has been faithful and is willing to accept the risk of a false positive, it could be money well spent.  If he has been unfaithful, as his SO suspects, he should fess up and save the money for his child support payments.

If you acknowledge the possibility of a false positive, that would logically include the possibility of a false negative.  So, why would someone be advised to spend money on a polygraph?

If they "pass" the polygraph, it would mean they were:
1. Truthful, or...
2. Deceptive and were a false negative.

If they "fail" the polygraph, it would mean they were:
1. Deceptive, or...
2. Truthful and were a false positive.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2012 at 2:55pm
Sergeant1107

I have been contacted by a number of couples, sometimes years later, who thanked me and told me the test helped them repair, salvage or terminate their relationship.  To be fair, some have reported it was not useful, but even those did not express regret at their decision to seek and, of course, pay for my opinion.

Would you apply the logic of your argument to jury verdicts as well?  If you acknowledge the possibility of an inncorrect verdict by a jury then every person you ever helped send to jail is either guilty as charged or an innocent person wrongfully convicted, and every person found not guily is either innocent or truly guilty but advantaged by an inncorrect verdict.   
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2012 at 3:43pm by pailryder »  

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2012 at 10:40pm
pailryder wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 2:55pm:
Sergeant1107

I have been contacted by a number of couples, sometimes years later, who thanked me and told me the test helped them repair, salvage or terminate their relationship.  To be fair, some have reported it was not useful, but even those did not express regret at their decision to seek and, of course, pay for my opinion.

Would you apply the logic of your argument to jury verdicts as well?  If you acknowledge the possibility of an inncorrect verdict by a jury then every person you ever helped send to jail is either guilty as charged or an innocent person wrongfully convicted, and every person found not guily is either innocent or truly guilty but advantaged by an inncorrect verdict.   

I think it is clearly different.  A polygraph exam purports to be a scientific test.  A jury trial is nothing more than the opinion of twelve jurors regarding the evidence presented to them and while following the judge’s instructions.  A jury trial is not supposed to be a scientific test.

If I felt sick and went to a doctor, and he said he could give me a test (that certainly wasn’t free), and that test would either come back positive (meaning I had the XYZ disease or that I was a false positive and I didn’t have the XYZ disease) or negative (meaning I didn’t have the XYZ disease or that I was a false negative and I did have the XYZ disease) I would not see any point in paying for such a test.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2012 at 11:32am
Sergeant1107
Sergeant1107 wrote on May 30th, 2012 at 10:40pm:
If I felt sick and went to a doctor, and he said he could give me a test (that certainly wasn’t free), and that test would either come back positive (meaning I had the XYZ disease or that I was a false positive and I didn’t have the XYZ disease) or negative (meaning I didn’t have the XYZ disease or that I was a false negative and I did have the XYZ disease) I would not see any point in paying for such a test.

Then you should never go to a doctor, because every medical tests has the potential for a false positive/negative result.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box getrealalready
Senior User

Reply #9 - May 31st, 2012 at 7:04pm
pailryder, 

Although malpractice occurs with some frequency in medicine it is a rarity relative to that which occurs in the polygraph suite.  If polygraphers were held to the same standards as physicians and were  routinely held responsible for their malpractice, I suggest there would be no polygraphy. 

But perhaps you disagree and would be willing for polygraphers to routinely be subject to malpractice suits??  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #10 - May 31st, 2012 at 8:43pm
pailryder wrote on May 31st, 2012 at 11:32am:
Then you should never go to a doctor, because every medical tests has the potential for a false positive/negative result. 

I should have been clearer, I suppose.  While it is true that most medical tests carry some chance of a false negative or a false positive, the ones considered “accurate” (such as the throat culture or the Pap smear) have a statistically insignificant chance of false results.

The same cannot be said of the polygraph, even, I think, by its supporters.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2012 at 9:30pm
getrealalready

We are routinely subjected to malpractice suits, and in some states, required to provide proof of insurance coverage for licensing.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 31st, 2012 at 10:23pm
hmmm, so all of these rejected candidates can sue for malpractice if the polygrapher did not follow APA guidelines or adhere to the polygraph technique?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box getrealalready
Senior User

Reply #13 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 11:54am
pailryder,

Your thoughts?  Should any polygrapher (and his/her agency/department) who does not audio/video tape a routine polygraph exam be subject to a malpractice suit?  As best I can tell, most (certainly all applicant exams) ARE routine and given in normal places of business (polygraph suites)  There seems to be no excuse whatsoever for not doing so.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #14 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 9:18pm
pailryder

Arn't polygraph subjects required to sign a piece of paper that obsolves the polygrapher of all liabilities due to the test results?

IP Logged

Infidelity Poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X