Normal Topic State versus federal poly investigations (Read 2991 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lunch

State versus federal poly investigations
May 12th, 2012 at 12:41pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Now that most city and state law enforcement officers are required to undergo polygraph examination post-offer much like the FLEO side of the house, how are the polygraph investigations done?

For example, if you fail an FBI pre-employment poly the FBI will not investigate further into any DI sections on the "test". They will just fail you and ban you for life. Will the local side of the house use adult big-boy investigative work to continue the BI or will they just go along with the "test" and just fail you according to the polygraphers findings?

Anyone with experience with polys on the state and local side or investigating BI for police pre-employment, your opinions are invaluable. Thanks in advance.

I ask because I failed my pre-employment FBI poly and am in a top spot for a police position but they too want a damn poly... I will pass this one.. I hope.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box curiouskat
New User

Re: State versus federal poly investigations
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 12:21am
I did some quick googling.  Washington State police, for example, will allow any applicant who fails their poly to simply apply again in 1 year.  I wouldn't be surprised if most agencies use poly as an arbitrary way to narrow down their field of applicants.

I also have an online buddy who failed his poly with a local agency (for gang activity... after growing up in the most milquetoast whitebread upper-middleclass neighbourhood ever lol), he was picked up by a state agency.

I don't know what DI or BI mean, but I'm going to guesstimate that failing a polygraph with a federal agency doesn't affect your prospects with a state/local one

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill_Brown
Very Senior User

Re: State versus federal poly investigations
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2012 at 7:02pm
curiouskat, 

BI is Background Investigation or Investigator, DI is Deception Indicated.   

Failing an FBI exam does not necessarily Disqualify you for other positions, even in the other Federal agencies.

IP Logged

State versus federal poly investigations

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X