Normal Topic Bomb Threat issue! Please help! (Read 4604 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sunny
New User

Bomb Threat issue! Please help!
Mar 4th, 2012 at 2:40am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
On March 1st, I was at school and I saw a bomb threat. I reported it to the college and gave a written statement of what I saw. The college reported it to the police and the police got in touch with me to come in for a written statement. I went in and wrote my statement. My statement is as follows:

"On Thursday, March 1st, 2012 at around 11:50am, I left class to use the restrooms. While in the bathroom stall, I did not see anything written. After class, I returned to the same restroom stall to get tissue paper at approximately 12:17pm. (Our bathroom does not have paper towels anymore). It is then when I saw the threat written in the stall. I immediately contacted the security office and notified them of the threat at 12:21pm."

After filling out my statement at the police station, the police pulled photographs from the security cameras. They said that they saw me leaving the bathroom the first time, but did not see me coming back the second time at around 12:17pm. I swore to them that I was there right after class and saw the threat written. And that is when I called security. The police insisted that I was not there. Then they told me that they were going to fully review the tapes after I left. They also asked if I would be willing to take a polygraph test. I instantly replied, "Yes of course". But that was all before I knew by rights concerning the polygraph test. I am definitely going to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible.   

I have a few questions. 
1. Can I still refuse the polygraph test if it is asked of me again?

2. Can the police tell me that they did not see me on camera the second time around to elicit some type of confession?

I feel like I did the right thing by reporting this threat and am being accused of it. Maybe this is why people don't do the right thing more often; they feel as if they will get in trouble for something they did not do.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill_Brown
Very Senior User

Re: Bomb Threat issue! Please help!
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 4:13am
Sunny, 

You can refuse the polygraph and you should consult an attorney.  Anything dealing with a bomb threat is extremely serious and you should seek legal advice before talking to the police again.  This is coming from a polygraph examiner and retired police officer.  You did what is expected of you, you reported a bomb threat.  Thank you for caring about others.  Now take care of yourself and seek legal advice.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 9:05am
Sunny,

As Bill noted, you can indeed still refuse the polygraph, and I think you would be wise to do so.

With regard to your second question, yes, the police can claim not to have seen you on the camera the second time in an attempt to elicit a confession.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pelonis

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 10:33am
Sounds like someone did a half ass job of getting and verifying the tapes.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 7:30pm
If I was the investigating officer, your use of exact times for something innocuous like getting a piece of toilet paper would make me suspicious.  It sounds like that happened in your case as well.

That doesn't mean they think you are guilty of writing the threat, but it means they want to investigate a bit more.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Aunty Agony
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 7:38am
"If you see something, say something!"

Bwah hah hahahahah.

-Aunty Agony.

IP Logged

Bomb Threat issue! Please help!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X