Normal Topic Failed - Consequences? (Read 2548 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box panopticon
New User

Failed - Consequences?
Mar 2nd, 2012 at 8:24pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I failed my FBI polygraph recently. I am a 22 year old college senior who applied for the internship program. And boy, after reading this site I am really kicking myself in the nuts right now.

I basically failed the question on drug policy and idiotically I gave them a written statement because I knew it would be impossible to land the position after failing the test regardless of whether I was telling the truth or being deceptive. I didn't confess to any specifics, just acknowledged that I failed the test and attributed that failure to "an incident concerning marijuana", and generically said I was sorry that I applied to the position knowing that I might not have been suitable. 

What will the consequences be? I know that polygraphs are not admissible evidence in court, but given my pseudo-confession will I be prosecuted? Will this impact my ability to secure federal employment (excluding law enforcement agencies)? Do civilian employers typically submit FOIA requests that would reveal the failed test and confession? Do most law firm recruiters conduct such background checks? Universities? 

Frankly I was never really interested in a law enforcement career to begin with (I'm more interested in becoming an attorney), I'm just hope this doesn't follow me around and totally screw over my life.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Re: Failed - Consequences?
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 4:02am
panopticon wrote on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 8:24pm:
I basically failed the question on drug policy and idiotically I gave them a written statement 

Panopticon,
Honestly, I don't think many would be concerned that you smoked a joint-even Clinton puffed and denied inhaling.

Lesson learned: never make admissions to anyone except your God whomever he may be--and even then, don't put it in writing.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box figs
User

Re: Failed - Consequences?
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 4:50pm
panopticon wrote on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 8:24pm:
Do civilian employers typically submit FOIA requests that would reveal the failed test and confession? Do most law firm recruiters conduct such background checks? Universities?

You can only get some of your records under teh Privacy Act. Others cant get anything, usualy, until your dead. http://www.justice.gov/usao/reading_room/guidefoia.html

IP Logged

Failed - Consequences?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X