Normal Topic How do polygraph examiners think? (Read 6326 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Steven

How do polygraph examiners think?
Jan 19th, 2012 at 9:22pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
These are all questions that came to mind after I took a polygraph. Being naturally inquisitive, it only felt fair to ask some questions during the polygraph but I was interrupted each time. 
If you'd like to answer any based on your experience I'd greatly appreciate your input. Thanks!

---
Has a former polygraph examiner failed the polygraph despite telling the truth? Did that change their attitude?

What are some of the reactions of polygraph examiners to false positives supported by new evidence?

What are some of the reactions of polygraph examiners to false negatives that are later proven with evidence?

Do polygraph examiners use black and white thinking?

Do polygraph examiners have any concern for undiagnosed health problems?

Are polygraph examiners aware of different level of human sensitivity?

Do they care about the ambiguity of results that could simply be one reacting to someone he or she does not know? 
(If we are going by the machine itself then couldn't a loved one ask the same questions? If its solely the polygraph machine at work here then there should be no problems.)

Do polygraph examiners have a general personality type?

Is he or she aware of logically flawed arguments in their favor?

Is the hurt done to innocent people not important because some people confess to polygraphs?

Would less people confess in an interrogation without a polygraph?

Do people become polygraph examiners to find out the truth or just to act as a prosecution?
---
My questions are all about how the polygraph examiner affects behavior and if he or she is actually aware of it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Re: How do polygraph examiners think?
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 1:05am
Quote:
If you'd like to answer any based on your experience I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Steven, I will defer this to others. My answers would put Pailryder and Quickfix into cardiac arrest.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill_Brown
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 1:44am
Steven, 

I'll take a chance and answer truthfully for myself only.  Other examiners may have differing opinions.   

Has a former polygraph examiner failed the polygraph despite telling the truth? Did that change their attitude?

Yes, I am a polygraph examiner and I failed one polygraph, requested a retest with another examiner and passed.  I know there are false positives and the first examiner was not very professional.  I did not use countermeasures on either.  My attitude is the same, there are good and bad examiners, like good and bad teachers, choose carefully.  My attitude remained the same, polygraph is not 100% accurate and should be used cautiously.   

What are some of the reactions of polygraph examiners to false positives supported by new evidence?

I am not sure what “New Evidence” you are talking about.  I have been aware of false positives my entire career, and I give every individual an opportunity to explain why reactions occur, I will retest if necessary to find the truth.  Never use polygraph as the determining factor in any case or situation.   

What are some of the reactions of polygraph examiners to false negatives that are later proven with evidence?

I am aware of false negatives and do not support using polygraph as the only investigative tool.  Use all of the resources available to you, polygraph being only one of many.   

Do polygraph examiners use black and white thinking?

Not sure what you really mean.  You are truthful may be White, you are not truthful may be Black, and I don’t know (Inconclusive) is Grey?  If that is your meaning, then Yes.
Do polygraph examiners have any concern for undiagnosed health problems?

Yes

Are polygraph examiners aware of different level of human sensitivity?

Yes

Do they care about the ambiguity of results that could simply be one reacting to someone he or she does not know? 
(If we are going by the machine itself then couldn't a loved one ask the same questions? If its solely the polygraph machine at work here then there should be no problems.)

No, we establish rapport in the Pre-test and proceed to testing after rapport is built.  Otherwise I will not test.   

Do polygraph examiners have a general personality type?

No

Is he or she aware of logically flawed arguments in their favor?

You need to explain what you mean on this one.

Is the hurt done to innocent people not important because some people confess to polygraphs?

No, I am concerned about innocent people, and it is important that I not get a false confession.  It is important that I find the truth.   

Would less people confess in an interrogation without a polygraph?

Depends on the interrogator.   

Do people become polygraph examiners to find out the truth or just to act as a prosecution?

Personally, to find the truth.  It does not always happen and polygraph is not 100%.  Not all examiners share my beliefs and convictions.   
---
My questions are all about how the polygraph examiner affects behavior and if he or she is actually aware of it.

Hope this helped

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 3:30am
Thank you very much for your reply Bill_Brown. I'm asking because I don't want to make a complete generalization based off of my one polygraph experience.

By logically flawed arguments, I'm referring to ones the polygraph examiner uses that you could use equally against them. i.e.The person in question can doubt a witness but the polygraph examiner will not doubt one bit. It seems flawed to only doubt the one being examined. This goes back to the black and white thinking.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2012 at 9:52pm
If I have an opinion prior to conducting a polygraph, (I think your guilty), I don't conduct the examination, I would be biased and my attitude would skew the result of the examination.  I can listen to both sides and conduct a "Fair" examination.  There have been cases in which the investigator has a strong opinion regarding the test subjects guilt, that is his opinion not mine.  If his opinion has been communicated to the test subject it takes time to explain I don't share the investigators opinion, I am interested in the truth only.  In some of these cases, the examinee has produced polygraph results that indicated their honesty to the questions being asked.   

My personal mannerisms are not shared by all examiners, and I could be very wrong in my attitude and opinions, I listen and learn daily about polygraph and truth.  I have had false positives and false negatives in my career.  I hope I have learned from these experiences and use caution in conducting all examinations.  Polygraph is not 100%, it is a good "Tool" and a tool only.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 12:15pm
If I assumed that every polygraph examiner has your attitude then it would mean the examiner used a significant amount of acting. I can appreciate it more if I were to believe it was all an act rather than blatant human insensitivity. Of course there's no way for me to know but I'll at least think of it that way for now. 
I think the polygraph being used as more than a tool is partially why an anti polygraph movement exists.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box RoamingBack
New User

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 11:17pm
"Polygraph is not 100%, it is a good "Tool" and a tool only. "

However it would appear by a high number of respondents in these forums that many fail to be hired, to be allowed to make a living, support their families and themselves "because" of this "tool." While you (individually) are not responsible for how your tools data is reviewed and used you are still a part of that process and could be, at least potentially, just as responsible because your tool hurt someone. 

I doubt anyone can 'know' the complete truth about another person. Certainly in hiring issues where security and integrity are prerequisites the deep dive surrounding background, character and traits would be understandable. But take the candidate that passes all those, the tests and the background 'and' the psych (as many on this forum attest to) and that "tool" shoots down their chances at employment?  Individual traits of examiners aside, that is an indictment and the Polygraph is guilty as are the locations, businesses and organizations that (often) it would seem rely on them for that yes or no decision. 

Tools are interesting. There are scalpels, the tool of the surgeon and their are clubs... I'm leaning towards the poly belonging to the later. A rough tool to be associated with... 

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 1:32am
In some cases it is used as a club by some examiners, again if used properly it is an effective tool.  Department policies dictate how it will be used, not the examiners.  If a department has a policy that disqualifies applicants with significant responses to questions without follow up, it is a bad policy.   

I do wish you well in your quest for the job of your dreams.

IP Logged

How do polygraph examiners think?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X