Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Police want me to have a polygraph (Read 3754 times)
hellothere
New User

Police want me to have a polygraph
Jan 13th, 2012 at 4:58am
Print Post  
I am a suspect in taking some high value equipment from a business because I'm a key hold of the company. I DID NOT take anything and spent over an hour in a room with a detective while he questioned me over and over about if I stole the equipment. Of course I kept saying no because I didn't. But then he asked me if I would submit to a polygraph test, I said yes. But now I'm thinking that I shouldn't have said yes. The only reason I said yes was because I felt it would make him believe me more. The polygraph test hasn't been scheduled yet, can I still back out of it? Will it make me look guilty to back out now? And I have no money for a lawyer, how can I get a lawyer to help me? I don't feel I should spend money on a lawyer for something that I didn't even do !

IP Logged

George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Police want me to have a polygraph
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 6:49am
Print Post  
hellothere wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 4:58am:
I am a suspect in taking some high value equipment from a business because I'm a key hold of the company. I DID NOT take anything and spent over an hour in a room with a detective while he questioned me over and over about if I stole the equipment. Of course I kept saying no because I didn't. But then he asked me if I would submit to a polygraph test, I said yes. But now I'm thinking that I shouldn't have said yes. The only reason I said yes was because I felt it would make him believe me more. The polygraph test hasn't been scheduled yet, can I still back out of it?

Yes, you can and should refuse the polygraph. It is not a "test." It is a pretext for an interrogation in the absence of legal counsel.

Quote:
Will it make me look guilty to back out now?

Perhaps. But you already look guilty.

Quote:
And I have no money for a lawyer, how can I get a lawyer to help me? I don't feel I should spend money on a lawyer for something that I didn't even do !

Perhaps you could borrow money, or work out an arrangement with a lawyer to pay in installments. At minimum, I think it would be wise to seek a consultation. You could then tell the police that you're declining the polygraph based on legal counsel.

For reasons why you should not again speak with the police without a lawyer by your side (let alone agree to a polygraph interrogation), see:

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: maschke@antipolygraph.org
Wire: @georgemaschke
Threema: S7TK4RXR
PGP Public Key: 316A947C
PGP Public Key (offline): 2BF4374B
Postal mail: Van Trigtstraat 53, 2597 VX The Hague, The Netherlands
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

figs
User

Re: Police want me to have a polygraph
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 12:25am
Print Post  
If you cant afford a lawyer and your in the US, you might be elegible for legal aid - http://legalaid.uslegal.com.

also some lawyers offer free consultations, if you call ahead and ask.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo