Normal Topic Accused of trying to cheat the polygraph test (Read 7666 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cynthia

Accused of trying to cheat the polygraph test
Aug 27th, 2011 at 6:28am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Recently, my boyfriend (now ex) of 2 years has been accusing me of infidelity and lying although I have done nothing and have been completely faithful and honest. Finally, I had enough and wanted to end the relationship.  He has mental issues and has threatened suicide unless I "confessed" to things that I have never done. The only way he said he would be okay with breaking up is if I took a polygraph test to prove that I hadn't done anything and that he could part in peace.

Unfortunately, I agreed. 

Today I went to the polygraph examiner's office, called Arizona Polygraph Examiners in Phoenix, AZ. My experience was extremely traumatizing for me. 

When I got into the office with the examiner (I think it was Laura Wells), she acted friendly and we began the process of creating questions with no problem. When the time came to begin the actual exam, I was ready to take the test and was not nervous because I knew that everything I said would be true and I had nothing to hide.

The first round of questions involved me writing the number 3 on a note pad, after which she asked me questions such as "Did you write a 1...2...3....4....5....". I was told to respond with a no to each of the questions, which I did. At this point she said that she had a hard time registering that the "no" to the "3" was a lie. I said perhaps it's because she told me exactly what to say so I was just repeating the answers I was told to.

The second round of questions was actually about the fidelity exam, with control questions of "Prior to this year, have you ever broken the law" and "Prior to this year, have you ever lied to help yourself" which the answers were both yes to. However, she told me to reply to both with no. I did.
She stopped this round of questions, and rudely turned to me and said that I was cheating the test and to stop. Completely shocked, I asked what I was doing because I was just answering normally. She responded by saying that I knew what I was doing, I was trying to cheat, and if I continued then she would end the test and tell my boyfriend I was cheating.

At this point I was extremely distressed. I am only 19, and I think of myself as a very nice person and when confronted in this rude manner by a woman whom I was counting on to be professional really shocked me. I began to cry, I tried to hold it in as long as I could, but being in the room with a high pressure situation where I was being intimidated was too much. I began crying during the second round of questions. I didn't want to say anything because she was so intimidating and I didn't want her to be so mean to me again. I kept trying to hold myself together and tried calming myself by steadying my breaths. I know that crying would mess up the test, I wasn't trying to screw with the exam. She again stopped this round, saying that I was cheating. 

When she noticed that I was crying, she rudely asked when I was going to stop crying, because she couldn't do the test when I was crying. I sort of shrugged because I was practically bawling, and instead of pausing, she instead tore all the clips off my fingers, and bands around my body, and the blood pressure cuff. She then opened the door without saying anything, brought my boyfriend in, and told him that I was cheating on the test. 

I was wondering what I could have been doing wrong. I have not read anything about the supposed ways to cheat the polygraph test because I didn't need to, I was telling the truth. However, apparently me telling the truth was me trying to cheat the machine. I honestly have no idea about countermeasures or anything, I was just being truthful. I don't know if she thought me trying to breathe steadily was me cheating. I also felt like when she told me what answers to say for the lies, it may have made my lies show up less significantly?

Her "professional opinion" with her "12 years of experience" that I was trying to cheat the test has destroyed the relationship between my boyfriend and I, we were trying to at least be friends. She said I could go back for a free retest, but quite frankly I know that won't do anything but cause me more discomfort.

I'm extremely upset at being accused of lying, and now cheating on the test. I have no idea what I did wrong.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Re: Accused of trying to cheat the polygraph test
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 2:41pm
Your only mistake was bowing to the pressure put on you by a mentally unstable boyfriend.  You need to distance yourself from him immediately.  Forget about the polygraph results;  it's doubtful your boyfriend would treat you any differently even if you passed.  Get away from this guy before he does physical harm to you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cynthia

Re: Accused of trying to cheat the polygraph test
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 6:17pm
Believe me, I am and plan on staying away from him. I can't believe he wanted me to go through with something that I now know is a completely unfounded practice.

At this point, I don't care about proving myself to him, I just want to know what the heck the polygraph examiner could have seen that what would her think I was cheating. It seems like she just took our money and didn't even try to earn it. I guess telling people they're cheating on the test is an easy way to get out of more work, I wonder how many people actually go back for a retest.

IP Logged

Accused of trying to cheat the polygraph test

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X