Normal Topic Do I have ANY shot passing background? (Read 14095 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PolyScared

Do I have ANY shot passing background?
Jul 20th, 2011 at 4:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
These are items I am taking from the background questionnaire. It was VERY long nearly 200 question in all kinds of catergories. Do they really ask this much on the polygraph?

Currently I am 29. 

1. Incest - I was molested by my older brother when I was 10-12 years old. Never spoke about this and really don't want to.
2. Beastiality - When I was roughly 10-12 years old, I rubbed a male dogs genitals on one occasion. This answer scares me.
3. I was involved in a fight when I was 10-12 years old. No injuries. Kid stuff.      
3. I ran away from home for 2-3 days when I was 12 years old.  
4. When I had run away, I shoplifted at a super market. Approx value $3.
5. I entered and vandalized a vacant home at 12 years old. Spray painted walls. No record.
6. In the same year, I skipped school and I entered a second vacant home and a puppy we had with us soiled the carpet, vandalizing the home. 
7. I stole money/goods from an employer when I was 16. $20 or $40 cash, and a $15-20 item, single occasion. This one scares me!
8. I smoked marijuana once when I was 16, no other drug activity.  
9. When I was 18, I had sex in my car, in a park. A deputy told us to move along. 
10. About 5 years ago, I had sex on a back porch of my apartment - nobody saw. (sex in an exposed place).
11. I called out of work when not sick (who hasn't?). I don't have a history of tardy or absences. 
12. As a child and adult I have been guilty of cyber sex - nothing recent.
13. As an adult, I have been guilty of "false impersonations" online. 
14. As an adult, I have "hacked" into accounts online for viewing purposes only, no intent to harm.
15. As an adult, I have provided false information (income) on credit applications. 
16. About 2-4 years ago I had pushed and slapped my husband on maybe 3 occasions. This is the one that REALLY scares me. 
17. I have lost my temper before. See above.
18. My neighbors probably don't like me since I have complained about barking dogs but that's it.

I have no criminal record. For the juvenile vandalism I got 30 hours community service at my junior high school but there was no court involved. It was something given by the deputy at my school.

Do I have ANY shot at some day becoming a law enforcement officer, somewhere? Right now is open enrollement for my next modular academy and I don't know what to do. I really did think I was a good person with a definite shot in this field. Now I've dismissed having any shot after filling out this background questionnarie... but maybe, somehow I might pass and go on? I have absolutely no intention of lying during the polygraph, but being so honest is making me nervous that my dream is over. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pixkbi
User

Re: Do I have ANY shot passing background?
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2011 at 11:10pm
The DV may be a problem, even with no police intervention; the hacking into someone's computer may also be a problem; the other stuff i would suspect is only a problem if you hide it and it is later discovered. each agency has minimum standards so i would give it a shot

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Tyron

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 11:45pm
I can not help but laugh when I read your original post.  Do you really think that any organization cares about the petty things that you mentioned?  This is a prime example of WHY people fail polygraphs...its because they think such stupid stuff is actually a concern.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PolyScared

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2011 at 11:59pm
Well that actually makes me feel good that someone would think it is petty. I know the kid stuff is no big deal but some of it did make me really worry (and I still do!). 

The DV isn't petty at all and I figured it might be an instant DQ since it was 2-4 years ago. 

I'm gonna go for it anyways and hopefully I don't fail like you said.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 5:36pm
Quote:
This is a prime example of WHY people fail polygraphs...its because they think such stupid stuff is actually a concern. 

Wait a minute. Are you saying people fail the polygraph because they have excessive concern about minor details? I thought it had to do with telling the truth or not.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2015 at 6:55pm
With the Feds, I'd say you have no chance.  You still might have a chance with local agencies possibly. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2015 at 1:26pm by xenonman »  

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 12:36am
Based on the information you provided, I'd say you have virtually no chance whatsoever -- unless you apply to an outfit that has great difficulty meeting its recruiting goals AND you fit a minority profile their HR department would like to showcase.

IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 1:02pm
Dan Mangan wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 12:36am:
Based on the information you provided, I'd say you have virtually no chance whatsoever -- unless you apply to an outfit that has great difficulty meeting its recruiting goals AND you fit a minority profile their HR department would like to showcase.

Excellent point!
Yes, being a woman might be an advantage.  They are "desirable" from an AA/EEO standpoint, and generally female miscreants are generally perceived as less of a threat than theirb male counterparts!

Besides, it is generally acceptable socially for women to lie, in many circumstances! Smiley

YouTube  
IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 1:24pm
"Scared",

Ever heard the work, "SOCIOPATH"?   lol
Roll Eyes

YouTube  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 2:41pm
PolyScared, in my professional opinion, if the polygraph operator finds you sexually attractive -- and you subtly telegraph that you are "into" that person -- your chances of passing the "test" will likely increase.

Why?

Generally speaking, bias is a significant factor in the polygraph process.

That said, your admissions are another matter.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box december
New User

Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 4:05pm
Mr. Mangan --

You do realize that PolyScared (a guest) posted this question in 2011, right?  So if she was successful in becoming a law enforcement officer that she has probably never looked back at this site.  I'm certainly hopeful that she was not successful.

IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 4:28am
Quote:
Well that actually makes me feel good that someone would think it is petty. I know the kid stuff is no big deal but some of it did make me really worry (and I still do!). 

The DV isn't petty at all and I figured it might be an instant DQ since it was 2-4 years ago. 

I'm gonna go for it anyways and hopefully I don't fail like you said.

You appear to meet the clinical definition of a sociopath.  Thus you might well be able to get through the BI process.  Certainly, I hope not though! Sad

YouTube  
IP Logged

God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 8:27pm
xenonman wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 1:02pm:
Dan Mangan wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 12:36am:

Excellent point!
Yes, being a woman might be an advantage.  They are "desirable" from an AA/EEO standpoint, and generally female miscreants are generally perceived as less of a threat than their male counterparts!

Besides, it is generally acceptable societally for women to lie, in many circumstances! Smiley

YouTube  
IP Logged

Do I have ANY shot passing background?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X