Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
AntiPolygraph.org
Make a Donation

Important: We strongly recommend that you use the free Tor Browser Bundle when browsing AntiPolygraph.org. (Here's why.) For an alternative, system-wide implementation of Tor, try The Amnesiac Incognito Live System. For better anonymity, guest posting is enabled, and you may use a fake e-mail address (e.g., nobody@nowhere.com) when posting as a guest.

Be aware that polygraph operators also read the discussions on this message board. If you wish to remain anonymous, be careful not to post enough personal detail that you could be identified (for example, the exact date of your polygraph examination).

Try the chat room to communicate anonymously with other visitors presently online. (Choose a user name and leave the password field blank.)

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Reply Add Poll Send Topic Print
Poly Questions/ Application of a countermeasure? (Read 1128 times)
Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box fakunbakun
New User

Poly Questions/ Application of a countermeasure?
Apr 21st, 2011 at 7:48pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
I am a student currently making my way through a Southern (undisclosed due to the possibility of it comin back to my comp) Police Academy as a part of my bachelors degree program.

I am supposed to graduate in just shy of 5 weeks, and already have offers on the table for various departments in my state.

My question for you guys is if heart beat manipulation is a reasonable countermeasure to the standard polygraph examination. As a foreword, I was in a car crash a few years ago, and as a result of the impact... my heart stopped. Since that time, I have been able to increase the beat substantially or decrease it to only several beats per minute at my will.

Will a "seasoned and professional" examiner be able to get me on it and say I cheated? Or should I be okay if I keep it steady and at a reasonable beat in addition to steady breathing?

Thanks for your time.

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Re: Poly Questions/ Application of a countermeasure?
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:04pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
fakunbakun wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 7:48pm:
Since that time, I have been able to increase the beat substantially or decrease it to only several beats per minute at my will

Amazing, I've never heard of this before--I would sure like to get you into my lab and wire you up. Manipulated heart rate alone would not be a good countermeasure, it should be used in concert with other methods. Please read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
Especially Senior User

AR.
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 10:10pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
stefano

I would certainly yield to to George but, I believe that increasing the heart rate would also increase BP and galvanic action.

fakunbakun

I too can manipulate my heart rate at will. Not so much at lowering but increasing which is the important side. In my research with the machine, when the control question is indentified, I think of face to face with a grizzly bear. However, I had to guard against overexposure to that thought, since I have personally had face to face encounters with bears, because in 4 or 5 seconds my heart rate will jump 15 to 20 bpm's and that is too much when taking a real poly I would think. Then when a relevant question is identified, I think of laying on a river bank with a fishing pole in one hand and a good book in the other. You only want your heart rate to return to normal. Not below normal. The poly operator can only GUESS that you're using countermeasures. Believe it or not - they cannot read minds.

Maybe George will weigh in on this discussion.

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 11:35pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
Twoblock wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 10:10pm:
I would certainly yield to to George but, I believe that increasing the heart rate would also increase BP and galvanic action.

I think you are correct in that a self induced arousal could set off a paradigm of sympathetic reactions. Perhaps I misunderstood fakunbakun. I took it to mean that as a result of some physiological trauma he is able to "selectively" manipulate his heart rate--which would be diverse from the set of reactions resulting from the grizzly bear scenario. Maybe fakunbakun can elaborate a little.

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box fakunbakun
New User

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 2:48pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
TwoBlock,  have you beaten a poly? I have yet to read a legitimate account of anyone on here beating one.

Stefano... A large portion of the selective manipulation is a result of the trauma associated with the crash, although some of it is due to meditation and various other "soothing" methods (mind you, I spent over a month in the hospital and then a few more doing diagnostic tests and talking to heart docs about the resulting tachycardia and brachycardia).

sorry for the delay, Constitutional law is drivin me batty right now

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box Dare

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 7:12pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
fakunbakun wrote on Apr 27th, 2011 at 2:48pm:
TwoBlock,  have you beaten a poly? I have yet to read a legitimate account of anyone on here beating one.

These folks say they lied and beat the poly.  And so have I...

https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1292698410
https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1280085547

IP Logged

Paste User Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
Especially Senior User

AR.
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 8:09pm
Mark & Quote Quote 
fakunbakun

My research on the machine shows that I can make it read whatever I want it to read. However, at my advanced age, I will never have to take a real poly. I became interested years ago when I found out that our National Security agencies put undue reliance on one machine and one operator.

You need to research these boards more. There are plenty of posters that say they have beaten the poly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Reply Add Poll Send Topic Print
Poly Questions/ Application of a countermeasure?
Open Live Preview Live Preview

You can resize the message area by dragging the right- or bottom border.

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1: