Normal Topic Canada Policies on Polygraph Tests (Read 13839 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yoyobibi
New User

Canada Policies on Polygraph Tests
Apr 19th, 2011 at 7:26am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I know that in the states there's a thing called Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)

The Act does permits polygraph tests to be administered to certain applicants for job with security firms (such as armored car, alarm, and guard companies) and of pharmaceutical manufacturers, distributors, and dispensers. The law does not cover federal, state, and local government agencies.

Government jobs related to local & national security may have a sanctioned polygraph exam for new hires. These include: Police officers, Firefighters, Armored transport personnel, FBI, CIA, DEA, Secret Service, Border Patrol, Customs & Postal Inspectors.

I am curious as to what kinds of jobs WITHIN the government will make you take the test as a screening for applicants? Will it be only jobs that involve a possible THREAT to the country? There are TONS of government jobs such as health services, mounties, and postal workers. And I don't see these jobs having a requirement for polygraph tests... Is that correct?

The main reason I ask of this is because of the fact that I might fail some things asked of me when taking a polygraph test and I know I don't want to be a Police officer, Firefighter, Armored transport personnel, FBI, CIA, DEA, Secret Service, Border Patrol, Customs & Postal Inspectors or anything of that sort. Because I know for sure these government jobs require a lie detector test. Anything with "high security" will probably involve one. 

But I'm asking if they will require one for anything "non-high security". 

All I'm really looking for is a 100% correct answer to my question. I realize that almost ALL the jobs that might/will require a lie detector will be a Government one. BUT within it, I am not 100% sure if they ALL do or just some (ie. high security jobs). 

IF ANYONE knows about how this works in Canada, I would GREATLY GREATLY appreciate it. I really need to know and it's been a real pain in the ass for me. Google search has failed me  Cry
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2011 at 7:01am by yoyobibi »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Re: Canada Policies on Polygraph Tests
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 12:35pm
yoyobibi

Better to check if the jobs you are interested in require a drug screening test for pre employment or random checks if employed.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 7:24pm
I am fine with drug screening test and all that sort of stuff. The ONLY thing I am unsure of is with is a polygraph test.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2011 at 7:00am by yoyobibi »  

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 5:14am
Anyone who can help? I'd really appreciate it

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 12:41am
yoyobibi wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 5:14am:
Anyone who can help? I'd really appreciate it 

The chances of finding someone who is well versed in Canadian polygraph practices in hiring are slim. I recommend you research it on your own and come back and tell us. I did a cursory look and found out something surprising: fire fighters are given pre-employment polygraphs. See the attachment. If this is the case, then perhaps this type of "abuse by polygraph" may even be more wide spread in Canada. Keep us informed.

polygraph_faq.pdf ( 24 KB | Downloads )

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 10:31pm
I called in and they basically have the same policy as the US does. 

I got my source from

http://www.csis-scrs.gc.ca/cmmn/cntcts-eng.asp

I called in and asked and they basically said that in Canada the jobs that require a polygraph will pertain to anything that will require high security or national securance levels etcetc.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Cannuck

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 1:37am
In Canada almost all law-enforcement jobs require the polygraph. All federal government jobs that have a Top-Secret clearance also require a polygraph. The polygraph procedure is identical to the American one because the polygraph companies that supply the equipment and procedures are also American. And of course the polygraph is an American invention to begin with. 

The Province of Ontario (Canada’s most populous and most important province) has outlawed the use of pre-employment polygraph screening, so there it is not used for sure because it is illegal. (Ontario has taken the lead in prohibiting the use of mandatory polygraph tests under its provincial Employment Standards Act. Polygraph testing has no place in any selection program.)

Here is an interesting presentation (RCMP Pre-Employment Polygraph Program Overview and Effectiveness Study Presentation):
http://www.acb.gov.jm/html/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/RCMP-Polygraph-Presentatio...
The presentation: slide 8 states “No trick or surprise questions”.  This is very inaccurate and misleading as there are many trick questions and surprises throughout, and especially at the end (as anyone who has actually undergone one can attest). But the RCMP is very good at marketing, so the view that the recruiting process is fair, effective and transparent is continuously pushed forward (although the reality is very different).

By the way, the RCMP only started using PEP in 2005 and later, so a current polygraph examiner never had to do it as part of his or her recruiting process.

IP Logged

Canada Policies on Polygraph Tests

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X