Normal Topic Questionable Statistics about Border Patrol Background Checks and Polygraph Usage (Read 17096 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Questionable Statistics about Border Patrol Background Checks and Polygraph Usage
Apr 12th, 2011 at 2:37am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Dear Readers,

Please peruse the associated link to Govexec.com where the true use of polygraph is presented as an effective way to save money on background checks. Please note, this applies to only about 15% of applicants and the background check does not proceed unless they pass the screening polygraph.  The failed applicants will never have a chance to invalidate the polygraph results.  If they fail, no background check.  They are guilty with no chance of proving their innocence and all future federal employment opportunities requiring a background check get flushed down the drain.i

http://www.govexec.com/features/0411-01/0411-01s2.htm

Only 1% of applicants, quoted in this article, who pass the pre-screening polygraph fail the background check.  Where are the figures?  I can't find a source of research for these facts.  This story presents a conclusion of facts without providing any source of analysis or study.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2011 at 7:00pm by Fair Chance »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: Questionable Statistics about Border Patrol Background Checks and Polygraph Usage
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 9:53am
Fair Chance,

The notion of saving money on background checks through the use of polygraph exams is rather silly.  A better method of merely saving money would be to institute a lottery system to get to background checks.   

No science or diagnostic validity is involved with either method but with the latter method, not burdened by any pretense of scientific involvement, one could openly reduce the number of background checks to any desired level and the cost of the subsequent background checks to any desired level.

And, of course, one would automatically further save money with the latter method.  One would either save the cost of individually contracted (out sourced) polygraph screening exams or the cost of maintaining a useless empire of in-house polygraph screeners.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: Questionable Statistics about Border Patrol Background Checks and Polygraph Usage
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 7:07pm
Dear Drew,

My thoughts exactly. If the logic of this reasoning is followed through, we should toss out applicant background checks and maintain a costly cadre of polygraph examiners.  The tale is wagging the dog. NAS stated that polygraph applicant screening has no independent scientific studies that justify such claims yet the emperor is still riding down the street with no clothes and no one has the courage to say he is naked.

The article implies that the cartels are recruiting using the same techniques that were used in the cold war.  I would not be surprised that they are not teaching polygraph countermeasure techniques to the more educated recruits if it is going to be the golden measurement of acceptance.

Regards.

IP Logged

Questionable Statistics about Border Patrol Background Checks and Polygraph Usage

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X