Normal Topic How best to stick to my SF86 (Read 7986 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Hopeful55
New User

How best to stick to my SF86
Nov 11th, 2010 at 3:54pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
On my SF-86, I stated "I smoked marijuana for a 6 month period my sophmore year of college.  I never smoked again after quitting and I never tried any other drugs."
I wish I hadn't made such an open ended statement.  I'm worried the polygrapher is going to go to town on this.  especially asking me how many times I smoked (I honestly have no idea, probably twice a week)

How can I stick to my statement if he asks me to quantify how many times I smoked?

my plan is to say "sir I did not count, I have absolutely no way of quantifying how many times I smoked, any number I gave would be a complete guess, which I will not do because it is a separate statement from what I said on my sf-86."

Is this an acceptable answer?  Polygraphers feel free to comment too, I'm genuinely interested in what you have to say.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Hopeful55
New User

Re: How best to stick to my SF86
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 3:55pm
I realize of course its completely up to the polygrapher to decide if its a good answer or not.  but as a general answer is it acceptable?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box antipoly4life

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 5:43am
You'll be fine.  You have plenty of time between now and the polygraph.  If it was only a 6-month period, sit down and try to count the number of times.  Did you smoke once a day, once a week?  Come up with the best estimate you can and stick with that estimate.  Let them know it is a close estimate but may not be exact.  Be ready to explain how often you smoked, the reason for it (recreation, parties, stress, depression, peer pressure, etc.), how long since you have done it, and if you get to the background check stage they will find old friends and ask them about your drug/alcohol habits.  Smoking marijuana does not disqualify someone if it was over 1 year ago and infrequent.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pixkbi
User

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 2:39pm
I don't know how any polygraph examiner in good faith can ask about the number of times someone has smoked mj and expect a reliable answer.  Unless one keeps records how can one know the answer.. that would be like asking how many times someone "ran" a stop sign in their lifetime.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box antipoly4life

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2010 at 8:35pm
Well you are going to have to come up with an estimate.  They will ask you "10 times?  50 times?  100 times?"  If the number is over 100 or too many times to remember, then that will raise a flag.  It means you are probably over the threshold (which they won't tell you what it is), so you'll be eliminated.  So you better come up with some ballpark figure otherwise consider yourself done.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Harry

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 12:12am
You'll have to come up with a  number.  It can be between 10 and 20 times, but they will insist you quantify it.  Then they will likely craft a question like, did you smoke pot more than 20 times?  And you will have to pass it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Debo
New User

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2011 at 10:04pm
That's right. If you are not sure, they will start throwing ball parks out there to get it narrowed down. They are going to want dates, times, and even who you smoked it with and who you got it from. Keep in mind that they are probing to see if you may have sold it or where it ultimately came from. They will obviously keep an eye on the machine and probe harder or lighter accordingly. Obviously, they are trying to see if there is something underlying here. Not to alarm you but, that's how it may go down for you. At least you have some insight.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box depressed
New User

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2011 at 10:48pm
Yes, and change your answer or say its possible I used it 21 times when you stated 20 you will FAIL for being deceptive...

IP Logged

How best to stick to my SF86

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X