Normal Topic CIA interview and background check problem: (Read 5912 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Hopeful55
New User

CIA interview and background check problem:
Nov 8th, 2010 at 2:58am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello all, I have a problem I need guidance on from some people in the know.

All of this took place in a foreign country:

In 2009 I left company A to work for Company B.  About 3 months later company B, through no fault of my own could not afford to keep me on the payroll.  But they said I could keep them on my resume as long as I needed to avoid unemployment gaps.

To make ends meet I started working at vastly inferior company C under a horrible boss.  I left there on bad terms after 4 months and returned to the U.S.

When I applied to the CIA, unthinkingly I didnt mention company C at all and just listed company B for the full tenure until my return to the U.S.  Company B is willing to say I was working for them at least part time during that period, so it's not an outright lie, but it's not the truth either.

my questions:
1) how much of my financial records/how deeply can the CIA dig to get at this information?  (keeping in mind this is in a foreign country)
2)  If I come clean and say I was not in fact working for company B for that whole period but in fact company C (neither of which are sensitive or related at all to the any work the cia does) would I be automatically kicked out for being a resume fluffer?

3)  Company C's boss will have nothing nice to say about me at all, Should I be more worried about the small lie being found out or this awful person ruining my life's goal?

am I screwed on this postion and should just give up?  my past is squeaky clean except for this (a little pot in college, none in more than 5 years.  No debts, no convictions).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Hopeful55
New User

Re: CIA interview and background check problem:
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 7:14pm
also: as I mentioned I admitted on my initial application to smoking marijuana for several months in college (only one semester sophmore year), which was several years ago (more than 5, less than 10).  I never did any other drugs or smoked after that.  Was I stupid to admit this?  will this disqualify me?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 10:52pm
I would just come clean and tell everything as it happened. At least this way, it will not be so burdensome on you. Let the cards fall where they may. If you are passed over by the CIA, it might be the best thing that ever happened to you. Chill and stop stressing.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Harry

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 12:30am
Yes they can.  If there is a legat, consulate, or embassy, they will be able to.  You will sign waivers and the company will likely cooperate and show them the personnel file.  So this works in Japan and Germany, etc... but not in Iran or Cuba.  What country were you in.  It's nothing for them to do, just send an email lead.

Tell the truth about the correct dates with company B, and decide which is worse, admitting company c or being unemployed for that time.

IP Logged

CIA interview and background check problem:

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X