Normal Topic Rejection Letter and Minority Status (Read 2582 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JR
New User

Rejection Letter and Minority Status
Oct 6th, 2010 at 5:26pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hey All,

So I applied for an internship, had a phone interview with a recruiter, and then sent my transcripts and all the extra application material.

Well, received my rejection letter today Sad I'm super disappointed now. I was hoping I would make it at least to the info session phase.

I have foreign residency experience, spanish language knowledge and I am learning mandarin right now. I wish they would have told me what they didn't like about my application - other than they simply "could not offer [me] a position at this time". It seemed as if I was more than qualified...I don't understand how they have so many more people that are more qualified than I am. I would feel better if I made it to the polygraph then failed...

Is this the sort of letter that means they might contact me in the future? Should I apply again next semester? I am taking a study abroad to China this summer so I have something else to add on my resume. Would this help significantly? 

Thinking about it, I'm wondering if my rejection is a combination of the fact that I had told my parents and grandparents about applying for the internship and my handwriting is not the neatest in the world.

Oh, and I also noticed that the internship is mostly for minorities. Since I am a white male, does this hurt my application? While this may be the case, I do belong to a minority that I would rather not mention here. I don't know if they are looking for ANY minority, or ethnic minorities only? Would me mentioning my association with a less-noticeable minority help me at all?

Someone calm my nerves! Smiley

« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2010 at 5:42pm by JR »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JR
New User

Re: Rejection Letter and Minority Status
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 7:50pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I really hope you have better luck than I did! I applied in the middle of June and received my first phone call at the end of July and had the phone interview in August. I couldn't answer the phone when the recruiter called the first time, so it took literally a couple weeks for him to call me back again. Then after the interview I received the rest of the application materials in less than a week (I was thinking this meant they liked me). Sent it all off at the end of August and received this letter today. So it took a while. All that waiting for nothing  Undecided I guess its a good feeling that they the recruiter liked me enough to call me I guess.

I had applied for the NCS internship. I read it over really good and couldn't find the minority description. I think what I had read was the Undergraduate Scholarship Program.

Let us know how your application goes though! 

IP Logged

Rejection Letter and Minority Status

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X