Normal Topic Accept job offer (poly required) (Read 3419 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box theydeceivedme1
New User

Accept job offer (poly required)
Sep 1st, 2010 at 12:35am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So I'm considering taking a job with a government contractor that requires a poly.  I currently hold a TS clearance, and have failed the poly 8 times in previous government contractor positions. This inability to pass this stupid test has cost me numerous opportunities and potential pay growth.   

I can either stay at my current position that doesn't require a poly, but my future there is uncertain with the contract up for re-bidding in 2-3 months.  Or I can take the job offer for a large pay raise and risk losing my job if I don't pass the poly within some timeframe (yet to be determined).

Even though I've failed 8 times in the past, I was honest about my answers.  The only theory I have on why I fail is because I'm generally a nervous and shy person.  The kind of nervousness one might feel when public speaking is the kind of nervousness I experience sometimes in even more personal social situations.  However I don't feel this type of nervousness during a poly, because to me its just business.  But over time I've started to develop anxiety towards the process with that fear that I will react falsely to the questions.

First off does it seem worth it to even bother given my track record and that its a risk that I take a new job only to be fired in a few months?

Second, are there any ways that someone can relax before taking an examination.  I'm a runner, so if I were to run like 10 miles right before the appointment, would being worn out help calm me out?  What about taking Tylenol PM, or would I be too drowsy to even drive there?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anti-
New User

Re: Accept job offer (poly required)
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2010 at 1:01am
How can a person fail a polygraph test 8 times? Was each polygraph test associated with a different government contractor?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box theydeceivedme1
New User

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 12:15am
anti- wrote on Sep 1st, 2010 at 1:01am:
How can a person fail a polygraph test 8 times? Was each polygraph test associated with a different government contractor?

I think I failed the first 3 at one contractor, then got laid off and another contractor picked me up and I failed 5 more times at that contractor before withdrawing from the process because I couldn't take it anymore.

Anyways my security officer told me that there is no longer a limit at the particular agency.  So you can theoretically take a polygraph over and over and they will neither grant nor deny your clearance.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 4:44am
theydeceivedme1 wrote on Sep 1st, 2010 at 12:35am:
First off does it seem worth it to even bother given my track record and that its a risk that I take a new job only to be fired in a few months?

The past polygraph failures are likely to prejudice the outcome of any future polygraph examinations.

Quote:
Second, are there any ways that someone can relax before taking an examination.  I'm a runner, so if I were to run like 10 miles right before the appointment, would being worn out help calm me out?  What about taking Tylenol PM, or would I be too drowsy to even drive there?

It's perfectly normal for people to be nervous going into a polygraph "test." There is generally a lot riding on the outcome, and most people understand (to varying degrees) that polygraphy is not reliable.

If you decide to submit to yet another round of polygraph screening, then rather than seeking ways to calm, I think it would be best to educate yourself about the process. You'll find detailed information about polygraphy, as well as suggestions for reducing the risk of a false positive outcome, in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (1 mb PDF):

https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Accept job offer (poly required)

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X