Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Anti-Polygraph States (Read 20176 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wow...

Re: Anti-Polygraph States
Reply #15 - Sep 29th, 2012 at 7:48pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Pailryder...

You're a polygrapher... Or at least that's what I've read skimming through these posts. The polygraph is the brainchild of a CIA scientist who believed that we could communicate with plants. Telepathically. 

Given the history of polygraphs, I have a hard time taking you (or any polygrapher for that matter) seriously.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 29th, 2012 at 8:20pm
Wow,

Although you are replying to a post which is a couple of years old, Pailryder's comments are valid except where he is under the illusion that a digital instrument is superior to an analog which is simply not true.

Also, I don't go along with the idea that Mr. Reid's experiments with plants are pure balderdash. Plants have shown to alter their chemical states when harmed or even threatened. This is actually more scientific than assuming physiological responses have a predictable correlation to deception.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - Sep 30th, 2012 at 10:55am
stefano

You have confused John Reid and Cleve Backster.
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2012 at 1:50pm by pailryder »  

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #18 - Sep 30th, 2012 at 12:03pm
Quote:
The polygraph is the brainchild of a CIA scientist 

Wow

Simply not true.  Poly predates the CIA.  Backster added a numercial scoring system to an existing technique.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #19 - Sep 30th, 2012 at 1:48pm
Quote:
he is under the illusion that a digital instrument is superior to an analog which is simply not true

As a data collection system, the digital is vastly superior to the analog in every respect.  Ask the man who owns one.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 30th, 2012 at 5:39pm
pailryder wrote on Sep 30th, 2012 at 1:48pm:
As a data collection system, the digital is vastly superior to the analog in every respect.Ask the man who owns one.

Wrong, they collect the same data and produce the same charts. Computerized versions simply make the polygrapher feel fancy. And by pure definition, analog instruments capture more data as the digital only samples the analog signal. Yes, I meant Backster, thanks for the correction.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #21 - Oct 4th, 2012 at 4:00am
As a followup, I would say that digital instruments, along with their "chart scoring for dummies" software, would probably have more utility in conducting studies where many sample sets must be scored and to reduce examiner bias.

Perhaps at one time, having a "computerized" polygraph may have stiffened the rubber hose. However, now that our world has gone digital and laptops are ubiquitous, I'd think that an analog intstrument would be more intimidating. So, the only REAL advantage of a digital instrument is to make the polygrapher feel he is somehow on the "cutting edge"; which is pure folly.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2012 at 4:35am by »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box brianmanhgf

oregon
Reply #22 - Nov 27th, 2012 at 11:59pm
I've heard  hat oregon has lifted its ban on polygraph's.  Any truth to this. Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #23 - Nov 28th, 2012 at 1:25am
stefano

I read a post here a few years ago by a polygrapher and he said that he preferred an analog because the computerized version has too much background noise.

A question though: Doesn't the computerized version have an analog machine hooked into a computer? If so, they are still using the analog machine. So what's the fancy of a computer?

IP Logged

Anti-Polygraph States

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X