Normal Topic I will never be an 1811 S/A. (Read 4385 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Why Try
Ex Member

I will never be an 1811 S/A.
Jul 24th, 2010 at 5:54pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Here I am, at the website that we should not go to.  Just like the thousands of men and women before me I took my poly.  Acquaintances that I worked with in the past told me not to take it.  They described countermeasures and recommended this website.  I was nervous and did not know what to truly expect.  I decided to keep an open mind, do what was asked, and attempt to be calm.  I figured there was no need to be “deceptive.”   

I had a great examiner and did not feel pressured at all.  To tell you the truth it was a good experience.  I was nervous but pushed through the process.  My biggest problem was the breathing.  I had no idea that they request a shallow two seconds in/out pattern.  I was told maintain that breathing pattern after going through my deeper breaths for the first series of questions.  My resting heart rate is 50 bpm with my normal breathing.  It was explained to focus and relax.  After it was all said and done I was told that the results were on the borderline.  Of course I “pinged” on a couple of the questions.  It was explained that higher HQ will look at it and make a determination.  We might have to do this again.   

I received a message for another polygraph due to inconclusive results.  Once again, I had a great experience with the examiner.  Good conversation, advice, and a positive upbeat motivation.  Almost like talking to an older family member who is with it in the world.  I was told that the breathing and all that was good during the second meeting.  We finished and talked a little bit.  I was never told during any of these meetings of any failure, countermeasure, or deceptive issues at all.  Some of the questions did “ping” again but no worried questions or statements were directed at me.  Once again I was told that HQ will look at the information and go from there.  I was even told to get somewhat ready because the hiring process could be as quick as three weeks.  I left with a decent feeling that it was not perfect but not a disaster.   

I received a letter explaining that I did not complete the preliminary process for a background investigation to begin.  No further actions will be taken.  Par for the course I am now alone, afraid, and mentally destroyed.  Use freedom of information and all of that.  Just like every other person here we all made sacrifices to gain employment.  Hell, most of us would have taken huge pay cuts to join certain organizations.  I am not a saint and not complete dirt bag either.  Yes I have;  used pot in high school, gotten behind a wheel after drinking, worked at places where drug use was accepted (while I was the dork), and gotten lap dances before.  But I do believe in America and stayed within good parameters in life as I grew up.  Now I have no idea if it was inconclusive or a failure.  Do my two inconclusive results equal a failure?  Am I barred from government employment with the other organizations I am in the process with?

Hind sight is always 20/20.  I would not apply to any positions that require a polygraph.  Do not let unselfish patriotism allow you to have negative marks on you.  My time was wasted and I allowed myself to think too positively about gaining a great goal in life.  All of us should take a lesson from George and thank him for sharing his experience with us.

In conclusion, the polygraph is a good tool in other circumstances and my examiner was top notch.  I do feel that too much faith is placed in this system/machine.  Just as Roman Generals would have bull entrails studied for decision aids.  Our modern society still places blind faith in symbols, intangible religion, and algorithm technology that is not 100% correct.  Good luck on your application process and may these organizations find the candidates they are looking for.  Thank you George for this forum to allow citizens to see both sides of the mirror!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Just an accountant
New User

Re: I will never be an 1811 S/A.
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 5:50am
A failure with the FBI poly isn't an automatic disqualifier.  Most agencies will trust their own, or not even do one.  In fact, I can certainly see how an agency's polygraph policy is reflective of an agency's attitudes as a whole.   

My only concern is that, admissions can be construed from nothing or nothing substantive, and THEY will hurt your chances with another agency.  So check your FBI file to make sure it's valid.  But if it's just a false positive, I wouldn't worry but would just apply elsewhere.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Why Try
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2010 at 11:58am
Thank you, I did request my file for review.  You are right about how policy is reflective of the organizations attitude.  After the fact I slowly realize that getting inconclusive results may be a good thing. For example, the speech I got about how drinking five times a year is excessive.  They can hire all the altar boys/gals they want.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Just an accountant
New User

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 12:43am
Go through your congressman, they can request your file on your behalf, and it gets done super quick that way.  Also I suggest you read the DoDPI (dept of defense polygraph institute) handbook.  It provides the guidelines for how all federal polygraph sessions are to be conducted.  You'll notice that most everything your polygrapher told you (including the drinking thing) is all BS.

IP Logged

I will never be an 1811 S/A.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X