Normal Topic I don't drink, smoke or do drugs - and never have. Given how unbelievable that is, am I better of lying and saying that I do at least some of those things? (Read 10772 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anti-
New User

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs - and never have. Given how unbelievable that is, am I better of lying and saying that I do at least some of those things?
Jul 17th, 2010 at 6:48pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I confess that when I was a teenager I smoked 2 or 3 cigarettes and drank about the same amount of alcoholic beverages but I don't consider those isolated experiences with alcohol and smoking enough to warrant an admission that I drank or smoked (as in: at one point he used to do it on a regular basis but he doesn't do it anymore).

Now, if I am taking a lie detector test and I'm asked if I drink or smoke or do drugs, I can answer truthfully and say that I don't do any of those things, but I know from experience that some people might find it hard to believe, especially given my demographic group. 

So if I am asked whether I drank or smoked, am I better off saying "yes" or "no"? I'd like to say "no" but I feel I'd be dishonest if I didn't mention the experiences I described above. But since I never got in the habit and never developed a taste for those things, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving an affirmative answer.

I don't think it matters to anyone if I have ever tasted beer or smoked a cigarette, but I don't want the polygrapher to accuse me of lying and fail me if I don't provide a satisfactory answer.

As to the question of drug use, I have never in my life - not a single time - used them.

I am just afraid that the polygraph examiner won't believe me when I tell him that I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I might feel nervous if asked those questions but not because I have something to hide but rather because I'll suspect that the examiner won't believe a truthful answer.

Maybe I should just lie and make up a story concerning past alcohol, tobacco and drug use? It would sure sound more believable than my telling the examiner that I am a teetotal.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2010 at 1:50am by anti- »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pixkbi
User

Re: I don't drink, smoke or do drugs - and never have. Given how unbelievable that is, am I better of lying and saying that I do at least some of those things?
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 7:31pm
if you plan on "passing" the test you need to disclose the information requested.  while these things (smoking cigarettes and drinking) really dont matter hiding is a sure way to "fail".   

if you are testing for the FBI they seem to claim everyone "fails" the drug questions.  of course the fbi way is the only way.  that's why their field notes are more accurate than a recording

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box theydeceivedme1
New User

Re: I don't drink, smoke or do drugs - and never have. Given how unbelievable that is, am I better of lying and saying that I do at least some of those things?
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 2:54am
One thing you can never do is change your story. If you ever filled out an SF-86 saying you've never used drugs, then you can never tell them you have used drugs later on under any circumstance.  If you do, then they will have solid evidence that you lied and that will automatically result in a denied clearance.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box itookthetest
New User

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 5:06pm
theydeceivedme,

Not necessarily.  I believe the drug questions are only asked for the past 7 or 10 years of your life, not your entire life.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box erichL
New User

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 8:51am
I found something very interesting about polygraph and how you can cheat a polygraph test. But I still want to know if it's effective. If you need to go through this test, here are some tips. You must answer questions firmly, seriously, and without hesitation. Breathe normally throughout the test (except during control questions) maintain a breathing rate of 15-30 breaths per minute. Do not breathe too deeply.Alter breathing rate with control questions.Think about something exciting or frightening, something that makes you angry. Bite your tongue. Bite the side of your tongue hard enough to cause pain.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1josephjohn

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 6:08pm
no !, stay true to yourself. what if they call you on it and then you'll have to prove to them that you do use drugs.if you need friends who don't use - i'm here for you and i'm finding others.you're better off without those people who you feel as though you have to impress.

email me anytime if you want to be friends.
(fyi .i'm 31 years old trust me i knowhow it feels.)
1josephjohn@gmail.com

1264547646_84C264.jpg ( 11 KB | Downloads )
1264547646_84C264.jpg

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Glavlit
New User

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 8:18pm
You can’t ‘cheat’ the test because it doesn’t really work in the first place.

If you want to pass, tell the truth, stick to your answers, don’t fall for any tricks, and don’t change your stories or deviate even in terms of minor suggestions or details.

You can mess with the polygrapher all you want during the pre-test magic card carnival trick phase or pre-test phase to reduce rapport, if you really want to get him/her worked up (sort of like a passive resisting challenging attitude), but try not to intentionally mess with anything during the real active questioning cycles, because that will probably only work against you.  A little game here and there is ok, since sometimes you may not be able to help it (unconscious stuff), but try not to intentionally do anything too stupid during the real questioning phase.

Do all that and you will probably pass, although you might be reported as having personality issues or possible team conflict issues.

Whatever you do, make sure to always tell the absolute truth about real factual issues.

Ignorance is foolish.

IP Logged

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs - and never have. Given how unbelievable that is, am I better of lying and saying that I do at least some of those things?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X