Normal Topic Can an updated SF 86 get a clearance revoked? (Read 5203 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box worriedsick59
New User

Can an updated SF 86 get a clearance revoked?
Apr 12th, 2010 at 11:58pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was issued a DoD Secret security clearance in June of 2009. Recently, I was given the opportunity to get my Top Secret clearance from another institution, which included a mandatory polygraph test.

Now back in college (which is within the 7 year time period for me) I experimented with marijuana once or twice, but I ended up deciding that the drug wasn't for me and I've never used it again. When I filled out the SF 86 for my original secret clearance, I did not report my drug use out of sheer embarrassment. I justified it because it was so long ago and I never planned on using any controlled substance again.

When doing the paperwork for my top secret clearance, I was confronted with a huge problem. I'm a terrible, horrible liar, and I'm almost certain that my guilty conscious would cause me to fail a polygraph if I was asked a question about any illegal drug use. So in an effort to prevent a denial, I made the tough decision to report my drug use on my updated SF 86.

The forms are mailed in and being processed now, so I can't change my answer. But I'm still torn with a gut-wrenching fear that this will be the end of my career. Is the fact that I lied on my original SF 86 enough for the government to deny me the new clearance? Even worse, will they revoke my old secret clearance? Would I have been better off just sticking with my original story and attempting the polygraph test?

Aside from this poor decision that I made almost two years ago, my SF 86 is totally clean of anything derogatory. Please help me get some peace of mind while I wait to hear back from the agency processing my request.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Re: Can an updated SF 86 get a clearance revoked?
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 12:45am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I used to be in a situation where I had a high level security clearance. I hated it. I hated the attitudes of my coworkers. Getting out of this line of work was the best thing I ever did in my life. I no longer have the "gut wrenching" B.S. that you are going through now. I would just keep my mouth shut about puffing on a few joints and let the cards fall where they may. If you are denied a clearance, it will not be the end of your career. It might even be the beginning of a new stress free life for you. "illegitimi non-carborundum!"

IP Logged

Can an updated SF 86 get a clearance revoked?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X