Normal Topic Failed Infidelity Polygraph Test (Read 6393 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box bose789
New User

Failed Infidelity Polygraph Test
Apr 2nd, 2010 at 8:22pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi.  I just found this site a little while ago, and I thought I would tell my experience with a polygraph test.  I have been dating my fiance for nearly three years, and I had a suspicion she might be cheating on me.  Never any concrete evidence, just weird suspicion.  We have begun discussing the wedding, and I felt this test would help put to rest all suspicion, and allow me to feel 100% confident in our decision.

I found the examiner online.  He said he was very qualified.  He graduated from USC (South Carolina) with a major in psychology. He also graduated from a polygraph school (dont remember the name).  He had a liscence in the state of Georgia when it was required as well.   

He got to the house and sat down with my fiance and I.  He went over the process of the test, and showed us all of the instruments.  I told him the only question I wanted to ask was if she had had sexual activity with anyone other than me since we began dating, June 2007.  So, he came up with these questions:

1. Is your name Ashley.
2. Is today Friday.
3. Have you ever had sexual relations with anyone other than your fiance since you have begun dating, June 2007.

Well, she failed the 3rd question.  He says he has no doubt something has happened, and he's sorry he has to tell me this. I was just wondering if this is the normal practice, I hate to risk our relationship on what could be a false positive.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Failed Infidelity Polygraph Test
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 8:58pm
Put yourself in Ashley's shoes. Suppose you were the one being asked to take a polygraph test to prove your fidelity, and the polygraph operator asks you:

1. Is your name bose789?
2. Is today Friday?
3. Have you ever had sexual relations with anyone other than your fiancee since you began dating in June 2007?

You're innocent, but you feel nervous because so much is riding on the outcome of the test. Which of the three questions would evoke the strongest emotional response from you?

If the answer is #3, then you should understand just how easy it is for a truthful person to wrongly fail a lie detector test. See the personal statements page for real life examples.

Polygraphy is junk science. The only ones singing its praises are those who make a living giving these bogus "tests." For a thorough debunking of polygraphy, see our free book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (1 mb PDF).

By the way, this book explains how to pass a polygraph whether or not one is telling the truth (see Chapter 4). If your fiancee were a liar intent on fooling the polygraph, she could have easily done so.

It would be foolish for you to allow the results of this bogus "test" to influence your relationship in any way. If anything, you might want to apologize to your fiancee for having subjected her to this degrading experience.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 9:16pm
I understand what you are saying.  I dont understand the reasoning though.  If what you are saying is true, how does anyone ever pass a lie detector test?  Wouldn't the pertinent questions elicit stronger emotional reactions?  I'm not trying to reject your response, I'm trying to find any reason to disregard this test.  I am not naive, it is what it is.  I just want to make sure I have exhausted every avenue before making a decision on the validity of this test.  Your advice is much appreciated.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 9:24pm
The question list you provided suggests that the polygraph operator employed a technique called the relevant/irrelevant test. It's simplistic, and a high false positive rate is to be expected with it. There's another technque called the "control question test" that is more commonly used. It's also based on simplistic assumptions and has an inherent bias against the truthful, but with this technique, if one reacts more strongly to so-called "control" questions than to relevant questions, one passes.

You'll find both of these polygraph techniques explained at length in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2010 at 10:55pm
One thing I did not mention was that he repeated the test three times.  Each time, the third question was higher than the irrelevant response.  I have read through the ebook you referred me to, as well as several other studies.  What I have gathered is the polygraph is inaccurate due to differences in many different factors. The relevant-irrelevant test is said to be out dated.  I cant help but feel I am looking for any reason to discredit this test, instead of being objective.

One thing that didn't sit well was after the test, I called the tester with several questions.  He tells me "hindsight being 20/20, if he were to do the test again, he would have asked more questions to narrow down the time and type of offense."  It was as if he knew the first test was inadequate, but he would be more than happy to conduct a second test, for a second fee.

Again, do I sound crazy, or are these legitimate questions.  To sum up, after reading a bit, I feel this guy was out to make more money.  If he tells me everything is good with the test, he leaves and thats it. He knows if he does little the first time, I may call back requesting a second test to verify what type of relationship etc.  He keeps telling me he would do it this way the second time.  

On the other hand, I dont want to forget the issue at hand.  It is not the tester I have an issue with, it is my fiance.  I just dont want to destroy a relationship over a BS test. Is there any validity to these tests?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 3:57am
No, there is no validity to polygraphy. There is broad consensus among scientists that it's junk science. The only people claiming its valid are those who derive income by giving these "tests."

It's common procedure to for the operator to run the charts two or three times, as the one you hired did. Repeating the ritual three times doesn't make it any more valid.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Failed Infidelity Polygraph Test

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X