Normal Topic FBI: Request to re-take polygraph (Read 18217 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box K Oberoi
New User

FBI: Request to re-take polygraph
Mar 26th, 2010 at 10:11pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi Everyone,

I was offered a position by the FBI (Finance Support Role). I took the first polygraph, and it went well. The examiner told me I passed. However, a couple of weeks later I was notified that my poly was deemed "inconclusive" after being reviewed. So I had to take it again, and this time it did not go as well, the examiner told me I failed. (I couldn't believe it, because I felt like I did better on the second one than the first). The examiner went on to say the questions I failed on were related to terrorism and espionage. I was shocked to say the least after hearing that, because terrorism would be the last thing I would expect to fail on. I am 24, I have no criminal record, no drug record etc.

Anyway, my question is: I was notified by my field office, since my first one was inconclusive, I am eligible to request a third test. Can anyone tell me what I should write in my written request?? or if you have a sample, it would be really helpful.

Getting the job offer from the FBI was a dream come true, and I don't wanna lose the opportunity. I have absolutely no idea why there was "activity" on the readings, during the terrorism/espionage questions. 

Thanks for in advance for your help.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: FBI: Request to re-take polygraph
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 6:49pm
The FBI rarely, if ever, passes applicants on a polygraph "retest".

It is probably already a foregone conclusion that they plan to fail you on their bogus "retest".

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 7:46pm
K Oberoi wrote on Mar 26th, 2010 at 10:11pm:
Can anyone tell me what I should write in my written request??

A simple letter affirming that you told the truth and requesting a re-test should be sufficient. There is no need to try to explain why an invalid test produced erroneous results.

But as T.M. Cullen correctly notes, virtually everyone who has been accused of deception by an FBI polygrapher also "fails" the re-test. The FBI offers re-tests to create the appearance of fairness. But the outcomes are foreordained. The FBI polygraph unit cannot politically afford to be seen passing people who have previously failed. To do so would be to acknowledge the unreliability of polygraphy and undermine their position within the Bureau.

If I were in your shoes, I would by all means write a letter contesting the results. Your letter should become part of your permanent FBI file and will document the fact that you didn't (through silence) tacitly accept the polygraph operator's accusation of deception. You might optionally request a re-test.

But if offered a re-test, I think you'd be well advised to turn it down. Again, the outcome is pre-determined. You'll almost certainly either 1) be accused of deception regarding the same issue (terrorism/espionage) or 2) (even worse) be accused of employing countermeasures.

If you ever seek other federal employment that requires a background check, your FBI file will be reviewed. It's better that your file show just one polygraph failure and not two.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box K Oberoi
New User

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2010 at 12:50am
Thanks! I just need a job really badly right now....so if given an opportunity for a re-test, I will probably take it. Best case scenario, I pass....worst case scenario, I get two failures in my FBI file, which is not a big deal because I won't be applying for another federal position after this awful experience.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 1:53am
When given a "chance" at a second polygraph opportunity by the FBI, the odds are heavily stacked against the applicant.  Polygraph operators have no intention of providing any substantial relief against one of their fellow polygraph operators.

You only are "deceiving" yourself if you think otherwise.

FBI polygraph operators do not serve the Constitution or the taxpayer, they only serve themselves.  They blindly believe in their own infallibility.

Look at their motto, " In God we trust, everyone  else we polygraph."  The embroidered official polygraph hat provided and sold by FBI RA stores nationwide.  Yes, it is the truth that I am embarrassed as an American to report.  These hats are produced and sold by the FBI RA stores across America.

They hold themselves above the law or reproach.  Ask the Director about that question next time he is in front of Congress.  "In God we trust, everyone else we polygraph."  What a sad state of affairs we have in America, the Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave (unless the polygraph finds you a traitor).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ezhiskaz
New User

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 11:40am
If you can't handle confrontations, I'd suggest you avoid the FBI. They get paid to confront people, and by your own admission, you couldn't do the job, so why bother with the polygraph?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 5:14pm
ezhiskaz wrote on Nov 14th, 2011 at 11:40am:
If you can't handle confrontations, I'd suggest you avoid the FBI. They get paid to confront people, and by your own admission, you couldn't do the job, so why bother with the polygraph?

Thank you for your irrelevant post on a thread that is more than 18 months old. I'm sure your keen insight into the OP's psychological profile is greatly appreciated by other polygraphers. Now, get back in the basement before your parents come home.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jose

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 2:43am
how i would love to become a FBI when i  get older but whar grade u need to get

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stefano
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 6:31pm
Quote:
how i would love to become a FBI when iget older but whar grade u need to get 

Jose, I suggest you write to them and ask for an information package. You can also visit their website:

https://www.fbijobs.gov/index.asp

Buena Suerte.

IP Logged

FBI: Request to re-take polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X