Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Didn't believe the hype until today, failed the polygraph (Read 88653 times)
Joe McCarthy
God Member

Tiocfaidh ár lá

Re: Didn't believe the hype until today, failed the polygraph
Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Actually, I may explain that warning to examinees a bit more like that when going over the consent form. lol.  I have found my bluntness (which most people see as me being sarcastic in a funny way.  Think of a combination of Denis Leary, and Dr. House), is actually a good ice beaker, about 90% of the time.  The other 10% simply have no sense of humor. 

Again, I am a, you like me or hate me kinda person; but you'll always respect my blunt honesty

Joe

IP Logged

Gordon Barland

Reply #16 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 4:39am
Print Post  
For what it's worth, here's the consent form I used before I retired about ten years ago as a private examiner when examining criminal defendants referred to me by their attorneys.  The lines following each paragraph are for the examinee's initials to indicate he has read and understands everything.  Obviously a different form was used with sex offenders or others who were required to take the test.

Defense cases
POLYGRAPH CONSENT FORM

I, _____________________________________, hereby agree to take a polygraph examination to be conducted by Gordon H. Barland, Ph.D.  My initials following each paragraph indicate I understand that:

1.      The test is strictly voluntary.  I am not required by any law to take the test, and if I tell Dr. Barland I do not wish to be examined, he will not conduct the test.  If I do decide to take the test, which will take about 4 hours, I understand I am free to leave whenever I wish, even without having completed the examination.   _______

2.      There are no trick or surprise questions on the polygraph.  All questions to be asked on the polygraph will be explained to me before the polygraph is turned on.  I must approve each question before it can be asked on the polygraph.  I do not have to answer any question I don’t want to.                                          _______

3.      The polygraph is not infallible.  The results are inconclusive in about 10% of the cases; that is, the examiner may not be able to make a definite decision about my truthfulness.  In those cases where the examiner can make a definite decision, most examiners believe the accuracy is about 90%, with an error rate of about 10%.  Not all authorities agree on these figures.  Some think it is unscientific and doesn’t work at all, others think it is 95% accurate.  Nonetheless, I understand there is always a realistic chance of error.  I further understand that Dr. Barland is regarded as an expert on lie detection, and that he will do everything in his power to conduct as fair and accurate a test as possible.                                                                  _______

4.      Recording:  The entire examination is being digitally recorded, both audio and video.  This protects me against any misunderstanding as to what I said or how Dr. Barland conducted the examination.                        _______

5.      Complaints:  Unless it represents gross negligence or willful wrong, I agree not to sue Dr. Barland for any omission or act arising out of or attributed, directly or indirectly, to the administration of this examination.  If I have any reason to believe that the examination was not conducted completely impartially, fairly or professionally, I am aware that I can report it to the State of Utah’s Division of Occupational and Professional licensing.  They are responsible for licensing and regulating all polygraph examiners in Utah, and disciplining any infractions. ______

6.      Confidentiality:  I authorize Dr. Barland to release his report about this examination to my attorney, [ deleted ], Esq.  His report may include whatever I tell him, plus his opinion about whether I was being truthful or deceptive.  His report will go only to my attorney unless I or my attorney instruct him to release it to a third party, or unless he is compelled by law to provide it to a third party.                                    _______

I hereby indicate my willingness to be examined by Dr. Barland by signing below.

Signature: ___________________________________  Date: ______________      Time:   ______________

Now that this test is finished, I acknowledge that while I was with the examiner, I was not subjected to any threats, injury, promises, or mental, physical or sexual abuse.  I further acknowledge that I was told how the test turned out, and was given an opportunity to provide an explanation for any question on the test to which I may have demonstrated physiological responses.

Signature: ___________________________________  Date _______________      Time: ______________

IP Logged

xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #17 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I suspect one day you will find out that not getting into law enforcement was the best thing that ever happened to you.

...and ditto for the f*cking CIA, as I finally learned after many years of listening to their lies and know-nothing recruiters! Shocked
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2016 at 10:23am by xenonman »  

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #18 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I can relate to you folks,i too failed a Polygraph test....it said i stole a ring that i never saw or could of reached for if i had seen it.My arms are to short and the person was standing right behind me watching my every move.......lol

Join the club!   I've been accused by IC polygrapher scum of meeting with foreign intelligence agents and of having homosexual liaisons! Grin

YouTube  
IP Logged

xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #19 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Joe McCarthy wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 7:03am:
Oh and John, with all due respect.  Taking the polygraph was not a total mistake.  Your mistake was taking a polygraph without hiring a LAWYER first.  Idiot move on that one.

NEVER take a state sponsored test.  If you are going to take a test, take it with an examiners that your lawyer directs you toward.  If you are back into a corner where a state test is your only option, your lawyers can take steps to hire an independent expert, to make sure all is above board, and done within standards and charts QC'ed.

Your mistake was, believing that you are innocent till proven guilty.  Don't blame the polygraph for your poor decision or naiveté.

You were done the minute you opened your mouth and didn't say, "I want a lawyer." 

NEVER try to "cooperate" with law enforcement.  You'll never be able to "prove" your innocence to those folks.  If they "suggest" that you take a polygraph, just tell them to drop dead! Sad

YouTube  
IP Logged

Ex Member
God Member

Reply #20 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 5:53am
Print Post  
xenonman wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 7:59pm:
I've been accused by IC polygrapher scum of meeting with foreign intelligence agents and of having homosexual liaisons!

Oh my. I bet this fellow had the gain all the way up on his activity sensor so as to not miss a single pucker, joking  Wink

But, I'm curious, how was such a thing instilled in his mind?
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2016 at 11:26pm by Ex Member »  

IP Logged

xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #21 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Actually this examiner was a woman, Nancy Pike, at the NSA, back in '82.
I have no idea how she came up with these accusations, but it was for me the final confirmation of the worthlessness of the  polygraph scam.
By "pucker", are you referring to the anal sphincter?  I understand that manipulating it is one way of screwing up the polygraph charts! Wink Wink

YouTube  
IP Logged

The Box Man

Reply #22 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
I worked at NSA as a polygraph examiner in 1982.  There was no such named person...they oftemnused pseudonyms.

IP Logged

xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #23 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Quote:
I worked at NSA as a polygraph examiner in 1982.  There was no such named person...they oftemnused pseudonyms.

Then that's exactly what she must have been doing!
I'm not terribly surprised ! Huh

YouTube  
IP Logged

xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #24 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I can relate to you folks,i too failed a Polygraph test....it said i stole a ring that i never saw or could of reached for if i had seen it.My arms are to short and the person was standing right behind me watching my every move.......lol

Welcome to the club!  Our numbers keep increasing!  lol    Smiley

YouTube  
IP Logged

xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #25 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I suspect one day you will find out that not getting into law enforcement was the best thing that ever happened to you.

...and I would extend that advise to include any of the so-called federal "three-letter" agencies! Sad

YouTube  
IP Logged

Lacy

Reply #26 - Oct 29th, 2016 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
I'm going for police dispatching in the airport in the State of Florida I have to take a polygraph a background check and a drug screening test does anyone know if that happens all at the police department or do they send me to a lab?

IP Logged

xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #27 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
elismom wrote on Mar 11th, 2010 at 7:34pm:
So I read some information about polygraphs before I went to take mine.  I am taking a test for Fairfax County Dispatcher testing, not a police officer, not the CIA but a dispatcher.  I saw some of these websites around and thought wow they are just a bunch of paranoid, conspiracy theorists who obviously have some character flaws.  I admit, this was my thought when i first looked at your website.

Until today.  Today I took my polygraph test.  And out of the 10 questions that mattered, including "have you ever committed a serious or undetected crime?" and "have you ever stolen anything over $200?" the ones I failed were "other than Marijuana have you ever used any illegal drugs?" and "Have you ever bought or sold any illegal drugs?"

Now, some background on me.  I used to work for a drug counseling center.  I tried marijuana maybe 4 times tops when I was 14 years old!  After that, nothing. I have not seen most drugs except on TV and in books. I work for a government agency and have taken random drug tests frequently.  I don't even take tylenol when I have a headache because I'm an all natural kind of girl and don't like drugs legal or otherwise.  I have a bottle of cough syrup with codeine thats still full from my last flu, because I only took 2 teaspoons.  I was prescribed Vicodin for my wisdom teeth 2 years ago and did not TAKE ONE PILL.  I ended up throwing away 20 tablets. 

But, according to this test, which the examiner ran 3 times, my most significant responses were to those two questions, have I ever used illegal drugs besides marijuana and have I ever bought or sold illegal drugs. 

Out of all the questions asked, I felt the most confident about those, because I have never done drugs.  And those are the only ones that showed a reaction.

I called my recruiter after the test to tell her, and she said she would look at the test results and call me back, but that there was probably nothing they could do about it.  But she acknowleged that the test is not always reliable.

Great.

So my career is probably dead in the water and theres nothing i can do.  I can take a drug test right now using hair testing, going back however long I need to and I will pass.  But not according to the polygraph.

And the examiner actually commented on how little I had ever done before the test. But after the test, he obviously thought I was a big drug user.

This is ridiculous.

My advice to anyone...avoid the test if you can help it.  There is obviously no rhyme or reason to it and if I can fail it about drug use, anyone can.  I've never been so upset and shocked in my life. 
Angry

You might also want to see if you can make a FOIA request to the agency involved, and see if you can review the results of your background check.

As I've mentioned various times on this Board, it may have been the background investigation that also fouled up your application, as well as the polygraph. Embarrassed

YouTube  
IP Logged

xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #28 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
YoungGun wrote on Mar 17th, 2010 at 9:17am:
elismom wrote on Mar 11th, 2010 at 7:34pm:
My advice to anyone...avoid the test if you can help it. There is obviously no rhyme or reason to it and if I can fail it about drug use, anyone can.I've never been so upset and shocked in my life.

The same thing happened to me, and it is hard to recover from; emotionally and professionally. I graduated from college last year with a Bachelor's Degree in Law Enforcement and went through a background investigation for the Border Patrol. I failed my first polygraph with them on the "Have you ever used or been associated with any illegal drug activity or use in the past?" question and it was the one that got me. Never even knew what pot smelled like until about 4 months ago (working in dorms at a university).

I was so upset from failing due to something that I am so against that I dreaded taking another polygraph, but when you want to find a job as a police officer you don't have a lot of options when it comes to avoiding polygraphs.

I applied for another PD in Wyoming and passed everything gloriously, except for the drug question. Nothing else, just the drug question. Its now a stigma in my brain and some days I will ask myself randomly "Have you ever used drugs??" and follow it with a stern NO, because I know its the truth- no matter what that damn test says otherwise.

I barely managed to get a job working security at a university. BARELY- because of my failed polygraph results.

Sad  Keep your head up and know that you are NOT alone, but don't put too much faith into finding a dispatch or comm. center job unless they don't require a poly.

If you are able to obtain it, try to acquire the entire file pertaining to your employment application, through the FOIA.

As I've indicated various times here, the background check may be just as much to blame as the polygraph for ruining your chance of employment. Roll Eyes

YouTube  
IP Logged

scott fire

Reply #29 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
i took my polygraph a few months back and tried different things i read on the internet to try and fake my answers and it completely worked. Not to inciminate myself too much. But i had been known to be involved in different so called illegal activities and stressed myself out so bad to every controlled answer and calm during others and passed. Know i work for law enforcement. And to those who fail being honest even. Dont. It will not matter

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo