Normal Topic A virgin's polygraph story (Read 8765 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box surprised 1
New User

A virgin's polygraph story
Mar 5th, 2010 at 9:08pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Just experienced my first polygraph yesterday.  I had applied for a reserve law enforcement position that requires a polygraph.  I decided when starting this process that every skeleton in my closet would be admitted to in the application and oral process.  Having made it through the background and oral interview I had assumed there was nothing in my background that would disqualify me.  Therefore, I made no attempt to prepare for the polygraph exam.  My "preparation" was an honest application and my answering yes or no to the honest answers provided.  I had a vague idea of what the test was about, but frankly did not care since I was guaranteed to pass since I had provided the truth.  I didn't think I was that naive, but now know I am.  My stress level was fairly high at the beginning of the exam and the more I tried to "relax" the more I became aware of my physical state and wondered after every question if my breathing changed or my pulse rate was up.  When the examiner stopped the exam and basically implied I was the worst liar he had ever seen, the exam was over for me.  All I could think about was "other than telling the truth, how does one pass this exam?".

At the end of the exam I got the "inconclusive" comment and what I have now determined was the after-exam interview.  I was told that there was some deep dark secret I was keeping from him and could only offer the response that I had answered the questions truthfully and had no explanation.

I don't know if the "inconclusive" statement was a test or I indeed "officially" failed the exam.  If given a chance to retake the exam, I doubt I will accept the offer.  The thought of practicing breathing techniques and pulse control to convince the "machine" my prior answers were truthful leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Re: A virgin's polygraph story
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 2:53am
He says that you're the worst liar that he's ever seen then gives you an inconclusive?? You should tell him to look in the mirror and he would see the ultimate liar. Or ask him if he would share what he's smoking.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 3:30am
Too funny Twoblock!  At least today I am able to look back and see some of the twisted humor in all of this.  I am on the wrong side of 40 and started this process as my effort to give back to a community that has been a pleasure to live in.  I am fortunate.  I make a good living and do not have to rely on the results of a polygraph to provide income for my family.  I feel nothing but sorrow for those seeking to start their career who must deal with this issue.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 9:20pm
surprised 1

All seriousness aside, this sounds like total age  discrimination. If you're female, then gender comes into play also. You didn't indicate either one. You could also intertain an idea of a federal lawsuit.

It's a sad state of affairs when one voodoo believing person and one voodoo machine can determine a person's employment destiny.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2010 at 12:02am
Twoblock,

You might be correct.  I am male age 53 and did get some interesting comments during my oral interview, (most of the comments by officers close to my age). I am 5'8", 155 pounds and less than 10% body fat.  I have been lifting weights since age 15 and consider myself in pretty good shape.  I have checked the POST physical training and can max out point wise on all strength related tests and finish in the top 20% currently for the 1.5 mile run. If being old as dirt was the issue, seems like it would have been cheaper to flunk me on the oral.   

The examiner did mention in the pre-interview that their department would not consider an "inconclusive" because of liability issues down the road the the fact that defense attorney's use that as a method to discredit the officer.  Makes sense IF it happened to be the one sincere comment he uttered in the session.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2010 at 11:54pm
Epilogue to the story...

Received a call from the background investigator and "inconclusive" was my final verdict.  They wish to schedule another polygraph exam which I will do, solely so that the "machine" does not win.  I have decided that this will be the last.  I am looking forward to the calm composure I will display on the next exam from knowing there is no Wizard behind the curtain...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Knightshaiid
User

"Calm"
Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 9:46am
Be careful, though - 'calm' isn't necessary and if you're still nervous, don't worry about it.

As you'll read in The Lie Behind The Lie Detector, the test is more about consistency than calmness. I've taken 2 thus far and "passed" both, though I was calm neither time. My heart was beating like a freight train.

And don't change your answers from the first test either, that'll be a dead give away!

Good luck!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 2:50pm
Finished the latest poly.

First two charts of the latest poly were standard issue.  Third and fourth charts were different.  For the third chart the examiner had me repeat the last word of the question asked just before giving my answer.  The fourth was a non-verbal (nod) response.  Can anyone tell me the theory behind the repeat the last word before answering the question scenario?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 3:59pm
suprised 1

He forgot what he just ask you and needed you to remind him so he could continue with the questions. You missed another opportunity to ask him to share what he's smoking. LOL

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 4:10pm
Twoblock,

If you keep this up, you will force me to question your respect for this process...

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:16pm
suprised 1
Awwh Shucks man. Why would you question my respect for the process. I assure you it's right there long side the poluted-ticians in Washington and their Globalist agenda.

IP Logged

User

Respect For The Process.
Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 7:36pm
Yeah... when it comes to risk assessment, law enforcement agencies may as well use Tarot cards: cheaper, quicker, and probably have higher scientific validity.

Hey there surprised1, how'd it work out?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 8:02pm
Hey Knightshaiid,

Your timing is perfect.  I just hung up the phone from the background investigator and you will be happy to know I am batting 1000 and I now have TWO inconclusive poly's.  This time the reasoning appears to be that the examiner believed I was "controlling my breathing".  The background investigator wants to schedule another to which I answered I would get back to them as I was not sure I wanted to do this again.  I am afraid that is it for me.  I am now so pissed at this pseudo-science flogging that I have nothing but contempt for a department that uses the poly as the sole determination of whether or not you are a worthy candidate.

IP Logged

User

Most Do.
Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 2:19pm
Surprised1,

I'm afraid most departments use the polygraph as the sole determination. I got the "you're controlling your breathing" horse crap once, too.

None of it means you have to give up. You really ought download The Lie Behind The Lie Detector and employ the techniques therein. You'll be surprised how easy this stupid 'examination' is to beat once you know what you're doing.
Don't let something unworthy of measuring you beat you out of a career.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box borderpatrol1
New User

Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 10:14am
I was told that I was so calm that the poly examiner couldn't get a "read" on my answers.  Have you taken drugs? No. Have you ever lied? Yes. Have you ever stolen anything of significant value? No. Have you ever broken the law? No.

IP Logged

A virgin's polygraph story

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X