Normal Topic FBI App process -- what should I do? (Read 9870 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mysecretname2
New User

FBI App process -- what should I do?
Feb 14th, 2010 at 6:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Here is my situation:

I graduated from college this year and decided I want to join the FBI. I applied for a job without thinking too much about the 3-year drug policy. I have used marijuana a couple of times in the past three years, most recently about a year ago. But, this use was so limited and infrequent I didn't even think about it as a potential issue. Other then that, I have absolutely nothing to hide.

Anyway, when I received a conditional employment offer and actually started thinking about taking a polygraph, I googled 'polygraph tests' and came up with this site -- now I am thoroughly freaked out!

I really want to work for the FBI. My "drug use" has never been an issue and would never be in the future. I have a great resume and would be a great employee.

I'm now scared that I will fail the poly and be barred for life from FBI employment.

I am thinking about simply telling my recruiting coordinator the truth about my situation, and if they disqualify me then they disqualify me. But, at least that way I could apply in two years with nothing to hide.

Is there any point in telling my coordinator my situation (i.e., any chance they would continue to process), or should I just withdraw my application and wait two years??

What should I do?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: FBI App process -- what should I do?
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 7:44pm
Your use of any amount of marijuana so recently will almost certainly preclude you from FBI employment. I think the wisest course of action would be to withdraw your application without making any admissions. Any admissions you choose to make at this point will be recorded in a permanent dossier and may be shared with any other federal agency with which you might seek employment in the future.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, even had you not used marijuana so recently, I think that it is unwise to seek FBI employment of any kind so long as the Bureau continues to rely on the thoroughly discredited pseudoscience of polygraphy to assess the honesty and integrity of applicants. Some 50% of FBI applicants are branded as liars by the polygraph and permanently barred from FBI employment. Worse still, the FBI further smears those applicants by sharing its polygraph chart readings with other federal agencies, hurting their employment chances elsewhere in government.

Until such time as the Bureau comes to its senses and scraps the lie detector, I think your best bet is to steer clear of the FBI.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gil
New User

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:01pm
George, 

As I mentioned, I did register and am glad to be a part of the forum. Thank you again for providing this forum and the invaluable resources. I only wish I had known about this prior to taking my own poly, but better late than never. 

At least now, I can do my part along with the collective efforts of others here who wish see this junk science ABOLISHED once and for all. So in theory, my bad encounter with the bureau and being barred for life was not in vain and I know something good will eventually evolve.

To the original poster, I'm not going to BS you. To echo what George said, steer clear of them and IMO, don't place all of your eggs in one basket. Even if you do wait and pass the "window" for drug use, there is still a high probability you could fail and ruin your chances for employment and opportunities elsewhere. The polygrapher may form a biased, foregoing conclusion about you even prior to hooking you up to the machine and label you a "pothead" or "druggie" and even worse a dealer. You may even be accused of worse things as I was. I won't go into detail now, but will at a later date.

Research other federal agencies and even moreso consider getting some military experience. Explore your options, as you are young and have plenty of other opportunities. In esscence, you literally have your whole life ahead of you.

I also had a burning and lifelong ambition to not only just "work" for the Bureau, but be part of something that would make a difference. As I stated earlier a recent and very bad polygraph experience not only barred me for life from them, but has also jaded my outlook and eroded my respect for the agency. 

Don't let me dissuade you, but on the same token, my being barred from them or the bad experience is not the end of the world for me. As a matter of fact, it's forced me to really appreciate my friends, familiy and the simple things in life even more. 

I know deep down inside there are other opportunities out there for me. True..this was a huge door that shut in my face, but I'm positive that other doors will open in due time. Furthermore, one day I will be grateful for this horrible ordeal I endured with them and I know something positive will emerge as a result. 

It's not the end of the world for me and if you don't get hired by them, it's not the end for you either. In fact, it may just be the beginning of bigger and better things.

Good luck and best wishes in all of your ambitions,

Gil

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2010 at 3:07pm by Gil »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AK
New User

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 1:09am
I took a polygraph 2 weeks ago as pre-employment process for FBI and did not pass. I totally answered all questions truthfully. I am hearing impaired and had to ask that the agent face me when asking questions. I was totally up front about my hearing impairment, however, no accommadation was offered to compensate other than the agent did face me as I asked. I was struggling to understand the questions in entirety, but answered truthfully as far as I did understand them. I want to appeal this result and be tested again by being able to read the questions before answering. I was told I can appeal after I am formally informed I failed the test. Will they send me my results and how long? Could my extreme anxiety at understanding the questions totally have interfered with my results? I have never had a polygraph before, nor had any idea of what I could request. I wasn't really worried when it started, because I knew I would be answering truthfully. When it was over and the agent told my I failed, I just went into total shock and accepted it. Now I've had time to think about, it is so wrong and I want to have a chance to "clear" my record.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 4:52am
Dear AK,

I am not a lawyer and this is not "legal" advice. With that disclaimer said, I would state the following item in your "appeal" letter with a copy to the EEO Officer of the FBI, Veronica Ventura.

According to the FBI's own website for jobs, 

http://www.fbijobs.gov/1114.asp

"The FBI welcomes and encourages applications from persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis. The FBI is firmly committed to satisfying its affirmative obligations under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, to ensure that persons with disabilities have every opportunity to be hired and advanced on the basis of merit within the FBI."

You clearly informed the FBI official in charge of your polygraph examination that you were hard of hearing.  You stated that the FBI examiner, who has to be an FBI Agent, clearly made no accommodations for your physical impairment.

This is in violation of Federal Law. A law enforcement official of the agency that is defined to protect the Constitution violated a well known federal law.

I would appeal your case if only to demonstrate that the government agency that you applied for was in complete ignorance of well known federal law.  You could seek punitive federal damages for the anxiety and embarrassment that this "Agent (and I do not call him or her 'special' except for the fact that they are mentally challenged and that in as of itself might find me in contempt of the law)" caused you.

Once again, the polygraph "gatekeepers" are doing what they do best by keeping the "undesirables" away from FBI employment.

Appeal your case.  Win your case.  Seek employment elsewhere for this is what you will be exposed to for years to come.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AK
New User

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 4:53pm
Thank you, Fair Chance. Do you have an address where I can contact Ms. Veronica Ventura?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 2:27am
This is her FBI webpage, it is very impressive.  The FBI loves to give a great appearance of fairness.

http://www.fbi.gov/libref/executives/venture.htm

I would address your copy to her at the Edgar Hoover Building for that is where she has her work address.

Ms. Veronica Venture
Equal Opportunity Officer of the FBI
J. Edgar Hoover Building
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20535

Do not hold your breathe for a response.  You will find that the FBI has a wonderful facade similar to a movie lot for what they profess.  It looks good as you pass by but when you investigate the depth of the institution, you find that is is only a front with no actual reality.  There are no houses to walk through, only screen lots to take pictures.  Kinda reminds me of Universal Studios as they take you through the back lot tour of famous houses of TV series that are merely fronts.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Castor
New User

Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 6:51pm
I recently failed a FBI polygraph after telling the truth. 

Given what I have learned since, I am convinced they are weeding people out based on their own self-important image of themselves, and in doing so, violating their own policy of relaxing certain hiring standards. Their failure rate on the poly (something like 4 out of 7) is too high for it to be anything else. Unfortunately, no one cares enough to do anything about this. I, too, would now discourage anyone for applying with them.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 11:35pm
Castor,

For a new user, you have come to the conclusion that took me quite a while to find: the polygraph operators act as the "good-ole-boy" gatekeepers that can operate above any employment law.  They do not have to explain themselves to anyone but themselves.  They do not have to prove their "opinions" with witnesses or records.  Heck, they do not even want any of the shenanigans recorded by pretense of "protecting the rights of the examinees".  What a bunch of bull.  They do not record the proceedings and provide it to the examinees in the FBI.   Just remember the FBI polygraph motto: "In God we trust, all else we polygraph." What a bunch of arrogant people.  I would have loved to see them "polygraph" the founding fathers.  I do not think the founding fathers would be too fond of them and their technique to protect the Constitution they created.

Regards. 

IP Logged

FBI App process -- what should I do?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X