Normal Topic I'm still in shock over my first polygraph! (Read 19482 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box brandon77
New User

I'm still in shock over my first polygraph!
Jan 14th, 2010 at 7:43pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I had a job with a L.E. agency this week.  I just had to pass my polygraph and physical and i was ready to go.  This was the first polygraph test that i've ever taken and i was not nervous at all about passing it.  I have nothing to hide so i knew that i would ace it.  Was i wrong. 

After finishing the test the examiner told me there was one question we needed to go over.  He said i wasn't being truthful with him when he asked me, "Have you ever stole a car, abused stolen credit cards, forged any type of documents, committed assault or assault with a deadly weapon, or participated in prostitution?".  He said that i have done one of them and wasn't telling him about it.  I was in shock and didn't know what to say.  I had never even taken candy from a store when i was a kid, much less anything of the nature of these crimes!!   

At this point it turned into somewhat of an interrogation.  He tried for 15 minutes to get me to own up to whatever it was i wasn't telling him about.  It was like he just wanted me to make something up to validate his test.  He even told me that maybe it wasn't one of the listed crimes that was making me nervous, but maybe something else.  He said, "maybe you've shot a deer on someone elses property and you feel guilty about it.".  Not sure where he came up with that example.   He said i was hiding something.  I told him that i had nothing to hide and if this cost me the job then so be it.  Well it cost me the job.

I was also asked whether or not i had the integrity to perform this job.  How did i pass that question?  If i've committed a crime that he seemed to so strongly believe that i have, wouldn't that weigh on my mind and cause me to maybe feel that i didn't have the integrity to be a police officer?  Just doesn't make any sense. Ridiculous!

I walked out of that office in total disbelief.  I had an empty feeling that i can't explain.  I had just went in and told the truth to every question that was asked of me yet still didn't pass the test.  I am now without the job i was so sure i had in the bag. 

My confusion soon turned to anger.  I was a little skeptical of these test going in and now i can say that polygraph testing is bogus!  I can now say that with 100% certainty.   
Why this stuff is still used as a screening tool for any agency is beyond me.  The polygraph needs to go away.   

If you want to find out about someone's character it should be done through records and actual people only.  Interview teachers, parents, friends, and just people in general that knew the applicant.  If you talk to enough people the person's true identity will shine through.  If the agencies would actually take the time and put in the effort to track people down and talk to them they would be able to find out about a person's true character.  In my case they could of found out that i've never in my life commited any crime other than traffic violations.   

If you believe in the polygraph you might as well believe in the tooth fairy.  It's BOGUS!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: I'm still in shock over my first polygraph!
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 7:53pm
Brandon,

Thank you for sharing your polygraph experience with us. It's an all-too-common story, and it's high time that polygraph screening be ended. It's junk science, and there is no evidence that polygraph screening results in a better workforce. In fact, it may well result in a less honest workforce, because polygraphy has a strong bias against the most truthful and conscientious of persons.

There are many law enforcement agencies in the US that manage just fine without resorting to the voodoo science of polygraphy, including all state and local law enforcement agencies in the states of Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, and Oregon. Other states should follow their example.

For more on what else you can do to help bring about the abolition of polygraphy, please see our Get Involved page:

https://antipolygraph.org/get.shtml

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box agony
New User

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 8:20pm
""Have you ever stole a car, abused stolen credit cards, forged any type of documents, committed assault or assault with a deadly weapon, or participated in prostitution?""

I may be thinking too logically here, but if the interrogator thinks his machine is so useful, why didn't he craft a series of questions to discriminate among those five crimes?  Surely he could have put more pressure on you if he at least had a better idea of what he thinks you did.

Accusing you of possibly one of such a varied range of behaviors proves that he in fact had no idea what he was talking about.  You were very wise to insist on your innocence instead of wracking your brain to try to figure out what was causing the polygraph to react erroneously.

-Aunty Agony.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box brandon77
New User

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 3:56am
Thank you both for the responses to my story.  Agony, you are correct in asking why the examiner didn't craft a series of questions to narrow it down to which one of the crimes he was accusing me of committing.  In the end though he said it might not of been any of the proposed crimes, but something else. 

I don't know what to even say about my situation at this point other that i'm appauled that this practice is in use to screen people for employment.  I'm am now joining the fight to ban polygraphy and want to do whatever i can to get the word out against this practice.  If anyone can tell me who i need to write i would appreciate the information.

IP Logged

I'm still in shock over my first polygraph!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X