Normal Topic The issue of Accuracy (Read 2223 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box KatZahra
New User

The issue of Accuracy
Jan 3rd, 2010 at 10:42pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
This is my first time posting in this forum (or in any forum if truth is to be told, but anyways..) so please be patient...

First and foremost this site and the ebook "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector" have been really helpful and I congratulate Mr George Maschke for the extensive work he has provided on the polygraph test.

Having said that, I still remain with a little dilemma on the accuracy of a polygraph test. Those who are in favour of the polygraph test mark the accuracy at 90-98% however those who are against the polygraph state that the accuracy is better than chance but lower than perfection. 

Quote:

Quote #1:
These studies, almost exclusively carried out in criminal investigation settings using one particular test, the Comparison Question Test (CQT), indicate that the CQT is able to discriminate between truth tellers and liars above the level of chance, but the accuracy levels are far from perfect.

Vrij, A. (2008). Detecting lies and deceit, 2nd Edition
Pgs. 295-29

Quote:

Quote #2: [You should know this Smiley]
...specific-incident polygraph tests for event-specific investigations can discriminate lying from truth telling at rates well above chance, though well below perfection.

Maschke, G. W. and Scalabrini, G. J. (2005). The lie behind the lie detector, 4th Digital Edition
Pg. 27

____

However whilst reading a paper by Lykken D. T. (1988) The case against polygraph testing I encountered the following statement:
Quote:
"We can conclude, therefore, that the CQT, while reasonably accurate (about 84 percent on guilty suspects) in detecting lying in persons not specifically trained in countermeasures, is exceedingly inaccurate in detecting truthfulness (about 53 percent accuracy, versus a chance of accuracy of 50 percent)."
Pg. 117

What does this mean? How come CQT has a high percentage in detecting lying but a lower one in detecting truthfulness? ..Aren't these percentages related with each other? 

Having said that I also have an interesting quote :
Quote:

Why do critics figures vary?

One of the problems in discussing accuracy figures and the differences between the statistics quoted by proponents and opponents of the polygraph technique is the way that the figures are calculated. At the risk of over simplification, critics, who often don't understand polygraph testing, classify inconclusive test results as errors.

How important are inconclusive tests? As far as I have understood inconclusive tests which a polygrapher cannot give a definite verdict upon [if the person is either lying or not], so technically they shouldn't be included in accuracy rates because they are neither correct or incorrect... or am I absolutely wrong on this?

PS. I know, it's a bit foggy and some of you may find it stupid so please excuse my ignorance.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: The issue of Accuracy
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 5:42am
On the contrary, I don't know of any valid reason for excluding inconclusive outcomes when considering the accuracy rate of a diagnostic test.

But it's important to bear in mind that polygraph "tests" aren't really "tests" because the procedure lacks both standardization and control. As such, its sensitivity and specificity cannot be determined. But taking the best published field studies of polygraphy at face value, Dr. Alan Zelicoff has shown through a statistical analysis that "if a subject fails a polygraph, the probability that she is, in fact, being deceptive is little more than chance alone; that is, one could flip a coin and get virtually the same result for a positive test based on the published data."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Re: The issue of Accuracy
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:24pm
KatZahra,

When a bureaucratic system exists that knowingly will allow an honest person to suffer negative consequence(s) stemming solely from an inconclusive polygraph result, that result is, at best, nothing but an error with an asterisk, and said system rests, at least in part, on a non-thinking abuse of power.  The aforementioned would be true even if the polygraph process had diagnostic validity when a conclusive result was obtained.  Lie detection has no such validity.

IP Logged

The issue of Accuracy

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X