Normal Topic infidelity polygraph test (Read 7626 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jessica
New User

infidelity polygraph test
Dec 16th, 2009 at 7:46pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi, my partner took a polygraph test after i suspected him of having an affair.   He was asked 3 questions and the test concluded no deception detected to all three questions. 
However, the result of the 1st question automatically answered questions 2 and 3 also.  Should the tester have asked question 1 only?
Also, The tester told him after the test that he had done well !! and that there had to be significant changes for there to be deception detected.  Is this true?  I still suspect my partner had an affair and am baffled that he passed this test.   EmbarrassedHow easy would it be to pass one of these tests if you did no homework on how to pass but were lying?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: infidelity polygraph test
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 2:35am
You are operating under the common yet false assumption that polygraphs can detect deception.  It can't.  Liars can pass, and the truthful can fail.  

Most people coming to this website looking for answers took the polygraph, told the truth, but failed.

If you suspect your partner of infidelity, why are you relying on a pseudo science to get to the truth?

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Samoset
New User

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 4:21pm
TC is correct about this.  If you really do suspect infidelity, just hire a private investigator to trail your partner's movements.  Just have the person trail the partner and see where they go.  That would be the best and most economical way to resolve this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Katelyn Sack
User

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 5:22pm
@ Samoset:  Covert surveillance of a partner is stalking.   

http://womenscenter.virginia.edu/sdvs/stalking/definition.htm

If you're in a relationship where you can't control your partner's every movement, and this bothers you... Please do the partner a favor and dump him.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Samoset
New User

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 5:46pm
Katelyn Sack wrote on Dec 17th, 2009 at 5:22pm:
@ Samoset:  Covert surveillance of a partner is stalking.  

http://womenscenter.virginia.edu/sdvs/stalking/definition.htm

If you're in a relationship where you can't control your partner's every movement, and this bothers you... Please do the partner a favor and dump him. 

Miss Sack,

I did not mean it that way.  I never thought of it like that.  I just meant for the investigator to keep an eye on the partner.  They don't even have to go into emails or texts as those can be taken out of context.

But yes, if they are in a relationship like that, then a person can always get out of it by dumping the other one.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 8:59pm
So. a woman who suspects she is a victim of a cheating husband and arranges for a private detective to follow him should be jailed for stalking?

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BBernie
User

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 2:30am
pailryder wrote on Dec 17th, 2009 at 8:59pm:
So. a woman who suspects she is a victim of a cheating husband and arranges for a private detective to follow him should be jailed for stalking?

I think the idea is that if you can't trust your partner anymore then its game over!  A relationship is totally based on trust.  Others might disagree and say something else...I don't know what else?  Sex, common interests? infatuation? Whatever.  If you have to resort to hiring a PI or a polygraph then its time to beat feet.  I would at least.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pailryder
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 4:04am
True, relationships are often based on trust, but marriages are more often based on money and children.  My point was the victimized woman, in my example, would be a stalker under Miss Sacks definition.

No good social purpose can be served by inventing ways of beating the lie detector or deceiving polygraphers.   David Thoreson Lykken

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 12:52am
Hiring a private detective to follow your partner does not fit any legal definition of stalking.  It doesn't even fit the definition of stalking to which Miss Sack included a link.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BBernie
User

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:52am
Sergeant1107 wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 12:52am:
Hiring a private detective to follow your partner does not fit any legal definition of stalking.  It doesn't even fit the definition of stalking to which Miss Sack included a link.

True, true.  If it were the case, then by definition ANY private investigator could be classified (and charged I presume) as a 'professional' stalker!  That's why private investigators require training and licensing/certification in order for them to do what they do, especially in surveillance of individuals.   

IP Logged

infidelity polygraph test

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X