Normal Topic Don't gov't agencies WANT you to lie? (Read 2055 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ecordy75
New User

Don't gov't agencies WANT you to lie?
Oct 17th, 2009 at 9:41pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
For this thread, let me separate out the use of polygraphy by law enforcement to extract the "truth" from a suspect regarding a specific crime from using polygraphy to acquire a paid job.

Don't government agencies - especially "super-secretive" ones like the CIA, NSA, FBI - WANT to hire people who can lie?  Don't they go through all their bullshit intimidation tactics during the polygraph exam of claiming "you are being dishonest", "we have problems", etc. as a theatrics, designed to measure how much a person can control their physical parameters under pressure, but without themselves REALLY believing their own bullshit about the polygraph being a "lie detector"?

My opinions about polygraphy now are the same as they were 25 years ago - before I ever had my first of two polygraphs (separated by 19 years). I believed what I wrote above before and I believe it now.  I went into these exams assuming they WANT to hire people who can "hold up to the pressure" and who are good at lying.

One would not be a very good spy if, when an opposing spy from another country asks the first spy if they know the codes to the nuclear bombs, the first spy replied "yes".

Like I mentioned in another thread, I went through the same intimidation bullshit, and even *I* - as much as I disrespect polygraphers and all those who defend the institutions that use polygraphs - can sympathize with them having to "put new applicants through the ringer".

I considered MY polygraph experiences POSITIVE ones ONLY for the PERSONAL challenge of seeing how much I can control my thoughts. The polygraph is best described as a "thought detector" - if that, at all. There is no such thing as "passing" or "failing" it. I knew it bore no relevance whatsoever to the job. I considered my polygraph experiences as an outside tool by which to measure my own abilities. Some other person's judgement - in particular, wheter one is offered a paid job or not - is irrelevant as a measure of one's own abilities.

I was NEVER told - neither immediately at the time of the polygraph nor later by letter - for either of my polygraph sessions, that I had ever "failed" the polygraph or had "not passed" security. I was never told the reason I was not given the job, and I never expected a government agency to tell me the TRUE reason for not hiring me. I am even willing to admit that they have valid reasons for not telling me.

By "valid", I mean, "consistent with the stated philosophies of the given government agency".

In the end, I am confident that the only reason I never got hired was because they never had any job in the first place. Most government agencies (except the EPA, for instance), like corporations, have unlimited amounts of time and money to throw away. They don't mind wasting job applicants' time with bogus interviews.

The issue of "lying or not lying during a polygraph exam in order to get a gov't job" is just a tip of the iceberg of the hypocrisy and bullshit. On an entirely higher level, governments, and the politicians who support them, and the people who support those politicians - lie ENORMOUSLY, repeatedly, openly, and proudly and want others to lie in order to get paid jobs in gov't.

I would have to name specific political issues to make my point clearly, which I won't do here.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box a.
New User

Re: Don't gov't agencies WANT you to lie?
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 3:20am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
You bring up a real good point Ecordy.   And I've always had that in mind. Thinking, if I ever apply for a gov job, especially one relating to law enforcement, i'll will most certainly do my best to remain calm, and realize it's just another psych test.  I knew fully well (and it makes sense) that there is no machine or technology on earth than can read a persons thoughts. They can only read or measure pulse rate, blood pressure, brain activity, etc.. All physical factors not mental processes.  BUT somewhere along the line as you go through the application process, you can become rather patriotic and feel the obligation to disclose everything to the people you entrust to hire you and train you for these honorable positions which hold the public's trust.   It all just seems kind of hypocritical after that.  Having to lie and maneuver around the "good guys".   Liars are useful to agencies, but without morals or integrity they can also become traitors and cost millions of dollars worth of damage and not to mention people's lives.

IP Logged

Don't gov't agencies WANT you to lie?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X