Normal Topic Please HELP!!! (Read 2926 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pissedoffapplicant
New User

Please HELP!!!
Oct 8th, 2009 at 1:52am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Feedback needed...

I am currently in the FBI pre employment process and just took my polygraph 6 days ago.  The result from the polygrapher (Federal Agent) whom administered the polygraph was that I passed. He also pointed out that he does hundreds of polygraphs a year and that he grades them very strictly. Presently, I just got a call today and got a heads up from a friend of mine in the FBI, that FBI headquarters said I failed my polygraph due to using countermeasures during control questions.  I am very pissed off and frustrated because I don't even know how to do any of these countermeasures.  Until today, I had no idea there ever was a way to use countermeasures during a polygraph. All I know is that I was extremely nervous through the entire process and I answered all the relevant questions fine.  If the agent who gave me the test said I passed, do you think I have a direct argument that I can take back to human resources?  Please help!  I just don't understand how the U.S government can wrongfully accuse me of something this absurd....

YOUR OPINIONS OR PROFESSIONAL ADVICE WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED...  THANKS

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Please HELP!!!
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 4:44am
I'm saddened to read of your experience. No polygraph operator has ever demonstrated the ability to detect polygraph countermeasures at better than chance levels of accuracy. There are no articles or book chapters in the polygraph literature on how to detect them. But that doesn't deter polygraphers from ruining careers with accusations of countermeasure use.

Unfortunately, I don't think your application will survive an accusation of countermeasure use -- however unfounded it may be -- by the FBI HQ polygraph unit. I know of no analagous instances where an applicant has successfully appealed. Making matters worse, the FBI's false accusation of countermeasure use may make it difficult for you to find employment with any federal agency that requires a security clearance.

Your FBI file is a permanent record, and this polygraph "failure" will follow you the rest of your life. At least to document the fact that you do not (through your silence) tacitly accept the countermeasure accusation, you will want to contest that accusation in writing (either now or upon official notification of the results).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pissedoffapplicant
New User

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 8:40pm
Thanks for sharing some insight and your advice.

YES, I am definitely going to contest this and let them know that this system is flawed and I told nothing but the truth.  The sad part about this whole thing is that I answered all the relevant questions fine.  Both the director and the polygrapher here even said that they triple checked my results and I did fine. They can't understand how this can happen.  They want me to submit a request to retake my poly, but I'm still waiting on the official document to arrive so that I have a basis for my argument.  This has been so nerve racking for me and it continues to bother me everyday.  So many scenarios keep running through my head!  Sometimes I think that maybe I passed but they're just testing me to see how I will react to a situation like this.  Since the day of my very first interview, they have already used several different deceptive techniques to deter me from anticipating what was coming up next.  I know I'm just being skeptical on a lot of things, but this is one instance that I hope they're just testing me.  I just keep thinking that only because if I really wrongfully used countermeasures and was trying to beat the polygraph then the examiner would have detected it in the first place.  He told me himself that he grades these things extremely hard and that I passed it just fine.  Like I said, I really hope all this is just a test!!!  If this is, it would piss me off in the beginning, but it would also bring me piece of mind in the end just to know that I passed this stupid thing!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BBernie
User

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 9:36pm
I'm new to the federal hiring experience (although I did spend over 25 years in the Navy on AD).  When I read experiences like this, I wonder if, from the beginning, a decision was made to either 1) Not hire and base it on some disqualification or polygraph results or 2) It is simply a way of "testing" new applicants to see what they are made of or if they will "crack" in some way.  Again, I don't know, but it would seem that something along this order might be the case.  In my situation, I am certain that I had no criminal or egregious mistakes in my past.  But I have had other problems that I had overcame, but still would have caused some paper-pusher to look over more than once.  Those without skeletons in their closet (or less of them I suppose) have a better chance of making it.  Personally, after what I've seen, I don't think it's worth it.  I'll admit I'm most likely getting too old for this (but I hate to admit it)...do you think 49 is over the hill??? Smiley

IP Logged

Please HELP!!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X