Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Should I Take This Test? (Read 8520 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Should I Take This Test?
Reply #15 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 6:14pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
licgan wrote on Sep 29th, 2009 at 1:15am:
You are also misguided about the “right” for an attorney.The “right” for an attorney only exists after a Miranda warning is issued by the police.Miranda is only necessary when two conditions exist (and both must be present):

1.The suspect is in custody and not free to leave.
2.The police want to question this person about the 
specific reason why they are in custody.

After the warning has been issued, it is a decision the person in custody if he/she chooses to invoke Miranda. 

This is not very clear.  A person's right to avoid self incriminating statements and their right to counsel exist whether that person is advised of Miranda or not.  The advisement is not what triggers the rights; custody and interrogation trigger the necessity of the advisement.

Also, a person need not be advised of their rights before choosing not to speak with the police.  In any consensual encouner a person may choose to say nothing at all to the police.  In an investigative detention, a person may choose to do nothing but identify themselves, and may respond to all other questions by invoking their fifth and sixth amendment rights.  In a a custodial interrogation, regardless of whether the police have given the Miranda warning, a person need not say anything at all in regards to the offense they are being charged with.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous ętes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Should I Take This Test?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X