Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Should I Take This Test? (Read 8523 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box DanielD
New User

Should I Take This Test?
Sep 24th, 2009 at 3:14pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Unusual post Ill admit,First and foremost I WAS NEVER CHARGED.

I was accuse by a family member(daughter) of molesting a 4 year old granddaughter. Despite all the investigations including State Child services there was never any charges so it was dropped. The daughter still insist she was right and recently ask me to take a polygraph test at her local police station but when I saw who was giving the test ,a female police officer I decided no way a female asking those type of "molesting" questions.Lawyer says "don't you dare go near that machine" but this was last May and now I'm thinking of getting one for ME and mailing the results to my daughter. 

Question is "should I ?"  I really want to clear all this up.

Other Question is "who should administer such a test?"

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Magnus
New User

Re: Should I Take This Test?
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 6:25pm
No on the police examiner.  They are not there to help you.  If you feel you really need to take a polygraph, go through a private examiner. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2009 at 6:28pm
Quote:

How would taking a polygraph clear things up?

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:19pm
T.M. Cullen wrote on Sep 24th, 2009 at 6:28pm:
Quote:

How would taking a polygraph clear things up?

TC

Daughter believes the police when they told her it was 99.99% effective so she might believe anyone that does this test.At lease thats what Im hoping...

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 11:20pm
Magnus wrote on Sep 24th, 2009 at 6:25pm:
No on the police examiner.  They are not there to help you.  If you feel you really need to take a polygraph, go through a private examiner. 

Good, tell me how do I go about finding one that reliable,Im in central florida,east coast...I saw one in Merritt Island but dont know anything about this guy.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:17am
Quote:
Daughter believes the police when they told her it was 99.99% effective so she might believe anyone that does this test.At lease thats what Im hoping...

That's ridiculous.  Tell her that a body of top scientific researchers (National Academy of Sciences) disagrees and conclude the polygraph has NO scientific validity.

What did the police base their 99.99% accuracy rate on, anal gas?

I advise you to read "The Lie Behind The Lie Detector" which can be downloaded from the home page of this website.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:28am
Quote:
Good, tell me how do I go about finding one that reliable,Im in central florida,east coast...I saw one in Merritt Island but dont know anything about this guy.

Daniel,

Let me be totally blunt with you.  THE POLYGRAPH IS FREAKING BULLSHIT!  It is NOT reliable.  It can't tell whether you are telling the truth or not.

Don't believe me, don't believe the police, don't believe any polygraphers you happen to talk to.  Believe the scientific community!  Believe the people who have been scammed and falsely accused because of the polygraph.  Unfortunately, they find this out the hard way, After taking the polygraph.  I myself fall into that category.

There are No reliable polygraphers, if by "reliable" you mean finding out if you are "telling the truth".  There are no "reliable" fortune tellers or "spirit trans-mediums", either.

I hope my frankness doesn't offend you.

And like I recommended in the past post, read what the NAS had to say about the polygraph.  The machine measures fluctuations in your body's nervous system when asked questions.  Not truth or falsehood.  It is simply an interrogation tool used to con and intimidate you into saying what the polygrapher wants you to say.

If you DO end up taking a polygraph, please check back with us and get advise on how to take the test.

TC
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2009 at 3:47am by T.M. Cullen »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box licgan
New User

Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:31am
You found this site…read its content.  But, I would encourage you to cooperate with a police investigation into this matter.  Children rarely make false allegations about sexual abuse.  There is a definite need to resolve this and properly identify the person who committed this crime.  Cry

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 5:34am
Quote:
But, I would encourage you to cooperate with a police investigation into this matter.

The police already lied to him when they claimed the polygraph was 99% accurate.

You can cooperate with the police without taking a polygraph.  By explaining your "whereabouts", and answering legit questions with their attorney present to stop them from self incrimination...etc.

Police commonly ask people to be polygraphed to "eliminate" themselves as a "suspect".  But we all know, and LE types have admitted on this board, that the real purpose of a police polygraph is to interrogate the suspect without having an attorney present when they have little if any evidence against them. Go FISH!

Since when do suspects have to "eliminate themselves as a suspect".  Police need to get off their asses and find actually evidence (Dna...etc.) rather than try to coerce a possible FALSE confession out of a suspect who is just tired and is telling police what he thinks the police want to hear so he can go home and sleep!

Incidently.  A retired Ponca City, OK police detective and current polygraph recommends to defense attorneys NOT to allow their clients (who submit to a police polygraph) to go through a "post test" interrogation.  Also, he recommends clients terminate the polygraph if the police polygrapher gets "aggressive" or "accusatory".

That's good advice and comes from a polygrapher.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 1:21am
Unfortunately some of the advocates here on this forum often cross the line of “I hate polygraph and they don’t work” to “Impede law enforcement and this is how you do it”.  

Daniel has been encouraged to read the post on this board and to decide for himself if he wants to subject himself to a polygraph.  The bottom line is there is a pedophile that has yet to be caught.  If Daniel did not commit this act, I would argue he has an obligation to assist the police.  The interview with law enforcement would allow the investigator to better understand the family dynamics and move forward with the investigation.  

Why would anyone on this board encourage a witness, victim or suspect to not cooperate with a criminal investigation?  The only logical answer would be that some of the posters on this board side with the pedophiles and criminals of the world…….    Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #10 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 2:34am
Your conclusion that the only logical answer would be that the posters on this board side with criminals and pedophiles of the world is ludicrous.

The last response states that the person of interest should only answer questions with their lawyer present.  Since when in America is it assumed that one is aiding and abetting a criminal by advising them to have a legal representative present during police questioning?

I would advise anyone who is being questioned by police to have a lawyer present if they are in any way confused about why the police are talking with them unless the police provide a document in writing that anything they say cannot be used against them.  Good luck in getting that type of document!

The polygraph exam represents police questioning a witness or suspect concerning matters which can have grave consequences to their lives.  If polygraph examinations are on the up-and-up, I question you why so many examiners refuse to have a lawyer present and videotape the entire proceedings if it is on the true "up-and-up."

The same argument that you use that we are aiding and abetting criminals could be used that you are circumventing due process under the Constitution and entrapping citizens of the Unitied States under false pretenses.

I swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States from enemies both foreign and domestic in the Armed Services.  Anyone who circumvents the rights of citizens under the Constitution by the color of law constitutes a domestic enemy that must be resisted by rules and regulations encompassed by the Constitution.

I could easily make the outlandish statement that you and all people who advise a suspect to subject themselves to questioning without a legal representative present are treasonous traitors who do not believe in the Constitution or any of the rights that it confers upon the citizens of this country.  It would be equally more outrageous that you would hide behind the color of law by doing so.  I would expect anyone who professes themselves as "promoting the law" to act in highest of ethical conduct in such matters in proportion to their position and understanding of the laws in which they are responsible to enforce.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #11 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 8:18am
Quote:
Why would anyone on this board encourage a witness, victim or suspect to not cooperate with a criminal investigation?

Reread my post.  They should cooperate.  They just should NOT take a polygraph.  Why would NOT volunteering to take a polygraph, which IS VOLUNTARY be considered "not cooperating".  If a suspect is read miranda rights, and told he has a right to remain silent, and the person decides TO REMAIN SILENT.  Are they "not cooperating".

Since police polygraphs are nothing more than an effort to coerce a confession out of a suspect(hopefully not a false one), and examiners lie to suspects telling them the test is scientifically valid and 99% accurate, when it is not, then they would be wise NOT take it. 

Quote:
If Daniel did not commit this act, I would argue he has an obligation to assist the police.

Everyone has an obligation to assist police when a crime has been committed to the extent they can.  If a person is a "suspect", however, then they are not obligated to self incriminate themselves or take a polygraph, and should only talk to police with their lawyer present.

This is very basic, and any first year law school student would know that.

TC
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 8:49am by T.M. Cullen »  

IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 5:12pm
Let me back up a bit here. On advice of attorney, last May, I will not take a police polygraph test as my daughter wants.
What I wanted is to take this test outside of law enforcement such as an individual private tester,I don't have any fear of taking one cause NOTHING HAPPENED. I just wanted one to shove in her face and let her decide if she wants to accept it or not.
This "perfect"family of 40 years has been destroyed by these "allegations". The police are not involved since no charges have been made and the Children's and Family Dept dropped the case last month after investigating her complaint.

I love you guys for all the GREAT responses,you've all been amazing and Ive learned a LOT about this "stress machine"

IP Logged

New User

Reply #13 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 1:15am
Fair Chance I respect your service to this Country but your logic is laughable.  To stand and affirm the idea that law enforcement is   “entrapping citizens” is ludicrous.  You are also misguided about the “right” for an attorney.  The “right” for an attorney only exists after a Miranda warning is issued by the police.  Miranda is only necessary when two conditions exist (and both must be present):

1.      The suspect is in custody and not free to leave.
2.      The police want to question this person about the 
        specific reason why they are in custody.

After the warning has been issued, it is a decision the person in custody if he/she chooses to invoke Miranda.   

You also grossly loss site of the fact that a child is the victim of a sexual assault.  Take a moment and ponder this child's “Constitution rights”.   

The point I was trying to make is that it’s appalling and irresponsible to cross the line from debating the merits/validity of the polygraph to giving garbage legal advice.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #14 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 1:49am
Sir,

My outlandish statements are only equaled by your original assumption and conclusion that all who post here are aiding and abetting criminals.  You made a blanket statement that those who post here are aiding and abetting criminals. That statement sir is "laughable."  You immediately came to a conclusion without fact.

I am intimately aware of what victims go through.  The reasoning that a "polygraph" is necessary to "get to the truth" is laughable.  The fact that anyone is being asked to submit to a polygraph is tantamount to admitting that the suspect or witness is not believable.  If a witness is asked questions and is "cooperating," why else would a law enforcement agency resort to a polygraph unless they do not believe the validity of the statement?  If a sworn statement is not valid he could be subject to giving a false statement to law enforcement which can result in criminal penalties.  Is the person subject to the polygraph being informed of this possibility?  They can be telling the truth and the operator can falsely accuse them of being deceptive. What then?  The water has gone under the bridge without proper legal representation.

Are you going to admit to the person being polygraphed that nothing that they say can and will be used against them?  If anything that they say can be used against them then they are deserving of the Miranda rights and should thus be provided a legal representative.

I have yet to read of any one being subjected to a polygraph that was presented a written piece of paper stating that what they say or admit to will not be used against them.  

They should have legal representation. That simple.

IP Logged

Should I Take This Test?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X