Normal Topic confused about FBI poly (Read 5381 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NY_FBI_APPLICANT
New User

confused about FBI poly
Sep 1st, 2009 at 4:27am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello, a little bit about myself.  I am an applicant for the FBI SA position. I've been in the Army for about 12 years now: 8 Enlisted years and 4 as an Officer.

Prior to Enlisting in the Army, I admit that I have smoked MJ about 25 times in my teenhood.  I am not proud of this fact, especially in light of the fact that I am a commissioned Officer.  As embarrassing as it is, I revealed my youthful indiscretion during my PSI. 

I recently had my FBI poly last week and am confused what the outcome will be.  I thought I was telling the complete truth and was caught by surprise at the end when the interviewer told me I was spiking on the "application" and "drugs" question.  He said he suspected that the two areas were related ie(lied on application about drug use).

Trying to be as completely honest as I can, I admitted that I made a mistake on a prequestionnaire  on the part that says "Have you used MJ in the last 3 years OR more then 15 times in your life?"  Without really thinking about usage, I marked "no" real quick and turned it in.  After thinking about my total usage and trying to be completely honest, I corrected that form during my PSI interview.

I admitted to the Polygrapher that I made a mistake in filling out that form (even though it doesn't reflect current FBI drug use policy) but have corrected myself.  He told me we'd probably have to do the Poly again but maybe HQ would accept my explanation and pass me.  He didn't say anything about failing.  So while I technically lied on a form, the question was moot to begin with and I also corrected myself.

Was my tester bluffing to get admissions out of me? If yes, is my admission disqualifying even though I've proven that I came forward to correct my mistake?  I am confused and the torture is eating at me. Undecided
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2009 at 6:05am by NY_FBI_APPLICANT »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: confused about FBI poly
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 4:44am
If you were not directly accused of deception or withholding information, then it's likely that your polygraph charts were at worst scored as "inconclusive." But there's no way of knowing for sure at this point. 

PS: I've also sent you a private message.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 4:48am
Well, results came in today and I was told I FAILED the Polygraph.  I was advised on how to appeal.  I am very surprised that I didn't just get an automatic retake since my reasons for D.I. are legitimate.  Afterall, I didn't deny the Polygrapher's readings.  I only admitted to a mistake I made to an outdated form but corrected during PSI. I don't know what to make of this situation.  I am very fed up with this organization and am strongly rethinking if I really want to be a part of it.  If their hiring policies are as ill-conceived as they are and rely on trick science, who knows what kind of abuse I would have to live with as an employee.  I have a Poly coming up with USSS soon.  Should I retake the FBI's and try to clear my name before my next one?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 9:00am
FBI "re-tests" are a sham. Virtually everyone who fails the FBI pre-employment polygraph and is allowed to come back for a second polygraph "fails" that one, too. I think you're better off with just one FBI polygraph failure on your record rather than two. If I were in your shoes, I would dispute the polygrapher's accusation of deception in writing but not to put myself through the indignity of sitting for a "re-test" the result of which is foreordained.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 7:46pm
In the eyes of other agencies, is it worse to have 2 failed Poly's from the FBI versus only one?  I currently work in Intelligence. Am I screwed when it comes time to renew my TS/SCI?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 12:47am
Sorry, wrong thread.

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 12:49am
Quote:
Should I retake the FBI's and try to clear my name before my next one?

Rarely, if ever, does the FBI pass applicants on a retest.

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

confused about FBI poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X