Normal Topic Who has LIED on the poly and PASSED? (Read 4967 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box you_are_here,_I_am_not
Ex Member

Who has LIED on the poly and PASSED?
Aug 28th, 2009 at 4:49pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Has anyone here ever lied on a polygraph and still passed?  How did you do it?

Let's be real, can anyone really reveal every embarrassing thing about their life in a poly?  I'm sure plenty of people have exaggerated on the number of times they did drugs, or got drunk, or went to strip clubs, etc.  What if you  know how to tell a lie and stick with that story throughout the process, to the point where you actually believe your own lie yourself? I refuse to believe that some machine can read my mind.  

Has anyone in here "not told the whole truth", were able to keep some incriminating things about themselves hidden, and still passed the poly-wolly?
Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Who has LIED on the poly and PASSED?
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 10:02pm
Quote:
What if you  know how to tell a lie and stick with that story throughout the process, to the point where you actually believe your own lie yourself?

Then you are delusional, and should maybe look into becoming a polygrapher.

Honestly though.  If you have to lie about something you did which would DISQUALIFY you, then you don't deserve the job, really are DISHONEST.

This board is all about helping HONEST people NOT become a victim of a FALSE POSITIVE.  

TC

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box landers
New User

Re: Who has LIED on the poly and PASSED?
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 11:42am
'Has anyone in here "not told the whole truth", were able to keep some incriminating things about themselves hidden, and still passed the poly-wolly?'

First of all, you are assuming here that a polygraph machine works. They don't. So there is nothing valid about your question about passing/failing a test on a machine that is incapable of determining if a person is being truthful or not. You can't pass/fail a test on a machine that does not work.

To answer your question in its invalid context, yes, I passed a polygraph test years ago when I was hired by a grocery store. I kept concentrating on a brick wall with vines growing all over it. I kept describing the wall and the vines in my mind. With what I know now, I probably didn't need to 'try' to pass the thing. I even passed the loaded question 'Have you ever stolen anything?' by answering 'No'. However, no matter how I answered the questions, the machine didn't work and I therefore couldn't fail.

The only way one fails a polygraph test is through ignorance of the machine's capabilities. I once heard a black girl say that she had just failed a polygraph test because she became fearful that it would detect that she was lying when asked if she had stolen anything at here job. She blurted out 'nothing except that money that was found and put in the supervisor's desk'. She was a security guard and was immediately fired. If she had simply said 'no', the machine would probably have not registered anything. If it did then she could just deny it over and over again until the polygrapher gave up. Remember, you can't pass/fail a test on a machine that does not work.

IP Logged

Who has LIED on the poly and PASSED?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X